Proposal: NYR-EDM immediate gain for potential upside

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
And Dyan Holloway in case you missed that. I see what you’re saying though that Broberg alone is worth more than that if I read it right. I’d consider it if it was Broberg alone, I like Buchnevich.

As for the OP — **** no, Holloway is going to be an absolute mainstay on our roster.

He’s absolutely shredding the NCAA apart right now.

Zero interest in a locker room destroyer in DeAngelo either unless he agrees to undergo serious work with a psychiatrist on a couple of times a week basis to figure out what the **** is wrong with him. I believe in second chances but he’s got some issues to work out, way too gifted of a player to piss all this talent away.

An assumption here is as follows:

1. Oil are stuck w/Neal -- no cheap buyout
2. Deangelo is a negative, but can be bought out cheap [once b'o window opens]
3. EDM wants huge concession of Neal for Deangelo
4. Oil must pay for that + add of useful Buch + picks
5. Broberg is that payment

If Oil prefer to keep Neal, that changes everything.
however,
cheap given cheap buy0ut of Deangelo as a fallback, don't see why Oil go there.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
So Holloway which is Oil second best prospect and most definitely a top 50 prospect in league due to his offensive explosion in Post draft year 1 is valued at 2 2nd rounders?
I don’t even know what to say.

Neals buyout is only 2 mil per. So not too bad considering how much cap space we have starting next year

Holland already refused to involve Broberg in any trades so don’t see him being moved

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Oilers are not taking TDA, and they need to keep their youth and hit on some of them. Maybe you would get one of them in a deal, not both.

Rangers are not taking Neal's deal, and if they deal Buch, it won't be attached to TDA to boost value. Seattle is also not taking Neal unless there is a 1st attached. No thanks.

Also from the Rangers POV, we have our kids. We really don't need anymore kids.

"Oilers are not taking TDA, and they need to keep their youth and hit on some of them."
1. they could use him immediately, but my premise here as explained is mo about $$$ and expediency of jettisoning Neal.

Also Buch + Deangelo are mid 20s so they are getting known players. so sure they need to keep youth, but they are getting 2 young players for one.

Holloway = option in lieu of picks

"Maybe you would get one of them in a deal, not both."
Fine.
A smaller deal NY giving up less and no Holloway, but Broberg to NY is fine.

"Rangers are not taking Neal's deal, .."
They should do it IF IF IF IF it is ultimately profitable.

"...and if they deal Buch, it won't be attached to TDA to boost value."
Again, if ultimately profitable, should be considered.

"Seattle is also not taking Neal unless there is a 1st attached. No thanks."
Agree not to send SEA a 1st.
Don't think it will take a 1st.
I could see they take Neal, then down to 2 yrs remaining for 2 mid level picks and 3 mid level prospects, which = affordable.

"Also from the Rangers POV, we have our kids. We really don't need anymore kids."
No sorry, as long as there is both a hard cap and no loophole work arounds, we can always use more kids to = max flexibility in managing roster to comply w/salary cap.

That is reality which cannot be denied.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I consider Broberg untradeable at the moment.
I consider DeAngelo the absolute last guy in the NHL I want on my team this season.

Hard NO.

Understood, but let's be clear.

Premise is you can use Deangelo short term.
But even if no, even if you put him on taxi squad rest of the year [which generates cap space, btw] the main pt here is he is a cheap buy out.

Either he reverts to good production or not, or you have concerns in locker room or not. Either way, your risk is min, your fallback is taxi squad and cheap buyout.

You are buying the insurance of the right to buy out Deangelo cheap.

That + Buch / + I think is worth Broberg / +.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
ADA is going overseas, remove him from your proposals, for starters.

He goes nowhere until whoever holds his rights buys him out, which may or may not be first opportunity buy0ut wind0w.

Given emphasis on premium of cap space, your dismissive missive is non sequitur

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The main guts of this trade is

Oil trade their recent 8th overall pick, and recent 14th overall pick..... for a guy who needs a serious pay raise next season. Never change BERN

COMPLETELY ignores every positive aspect Oil win on deal, only focuses on negatives.

Never change @broc

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
We agree to disagree.
Buch is not long term keeper given reality of salary cap.
Do not want to repeat Strome etc wait until last minute, extend, then if you want roster flexibility, you need a partner who can handle 4.5.

Move Buch now while his value is higher b'c it is same production for less $.

Why go vs adding futures?
Don't fall into win now trap we have been trying to escape from.

I think in reality you're probably right and it must be a recency bias but with the way Buch has developed and blossomed into the player he is now it would be tough to trade him for anything other than an overpayment.

We also don't really know what happens with Kravtsov (even though I have high hopes), if he busts/can't assume a top 6 role, we could use the RW depth (Kakko, Buch, Kravtsov).

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Just wow

Dumping Neal is not worth giving up their latest two first rounders and adding DeAngelo. De Angelo has negative value right now

IF you want to trade De Angelo one for one for Neal--oilers take the deal and toss him on the farm for two years

this deal is bad for the oilers

Disagree
PEOPLE, how many times must I underscore the reality that Deangelo can be bought out on the cheap b'c he is younger.

So value of buyout of Dea >>>>>>>>> vs Neal
just on numbers, math does not lie.

Deangelo = cheaper contract, less years
no way NY does that 1:1

Oil have to pay for that.
Also Neal is over the hill toast

IF Deangelo can be harnessed his production last yr is 3rd best offensive D.

Deangelo is negative UNLESS you factor in value of early/cheap buyout of his contract. [again not acknowledging production}

----------
Also you COMPLETELY ignored contribution of Buch to this deal.
That is signif oversight.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think in reality you're probably right and it must be a recency bias but with the way Buch has developed and blossomed into the player he is now it would be tough to trade him for anything other than an overpayment.

We also don't really know what happens with Kravtsov (even though I have high hopes), if he busts/can't assume a top 6 role, we could use the RW depth (Kakko, Buch, Kravtsov).

Agree w/don't KNOW for CERTAIN but bottom line is if you want to extend Zib
OR
want to hope to add a big name in 2 yrs [Barkov, Eichel, etc.]

you need to get value for Buch now and that will be more now than him at a higher contract #.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Thank you for your kind words.

1. I agree he is top 6 material and maybe 1st line with an elite center but does it mean you want to pay that much for him, this is a question of taste I guess

2. I tend to agree

3. There I agree that it should make EDM better, if DeAngelo comes back to last year's production, which is a key assumption. BUT you have paid Holloway + Broberg so you don't have any more quality chips if you want to improve the roster...

appreciate the polite and constructive feedback.

corresponding to yr # items:
1. again, a package deal, the deal is really
Buch + all the money upside + for Broberg +
with the kicker upside that Deangelo may help

it is not asking for too much for Buch in a vacuum

3 Oil is not relying on bold as an assumption.
It is relying on ability to short term walk away from Neal,
accepting either
savings + Deangelo
or
only all savings,

depending on which scenario unfolds best.

a pleasure and peace out

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Deangelo doesn’t do much for the Oilers in the short term when we already have Barrie and Bouchard in the long run. He’s a talented player, but has more baggage than a Samsonite store. The fact that he cleared waivers shows his value, and its not like the Oilers have enough veteran leaders to handle a guy like that. Buchnevic is a pretty good player but we are pretty good on RW and I don’t know if he’d improve or LW side if we moved him over there. It would be nice to get rid of Neal, but that is a staggering price to pay for that. Holloway is looking great. His upside isn’t determined but he’s pretty much a lock to be a useful NHLer sooner than later. Broberg is a massive ball of potential and he’s tracking well. Oilers say no easily.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
So Holloway which is Oil second best prospect and most definitely a top 50 prospect in league due to his offensive explosion in Post draft year 1 is valued at 2 2nd rounders?
I don’t even know what to say.

Neals buyout is only 2 mil per. So not too bad considering how much cap space we have starting next year

Holland already refused to involve Broberg in any trades so don’t see him being moved

fair enuf and constructive.
reply:

1. package deal and Holloway is not critical deal breaker, just require equivalent fair value on top of Broberg for what NY is giving

2 deangelo buy out is less $ and less term

3 You are right, but Holland may not have had a good enuf deal to accept.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
For the rangers why is your obsession in trading buch?
And you don’t want Neal and his deal.

Buch: we need to be ahead of the curve, not behind.
we have Kravtsov and Barron coming soon
should deal for good value before his contract expires, not extend contract then have to protect in exp dr
also he is cheaper now so return is higher than if 0n more expensive deal

Neal: agree, only take that albatross of Oil hands is if EDM pays

This is so f***ing terrible for Edmonton man wtf

Articulate pushing on erudite.

not.

feel free to add to constructive back and forth as above.
As opposed to merely telling us how you really feel.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Deangelo doesn’t do much for the Oilers in the short term when we already have Barrie and Bouchard in the long run. He’s a talented player, but has more baggage than a Samsonite store. The fact that he cleared waivers shows his value, and its not like the Oilers have enough veteran leaders to handle a guy like that. Buchnevic is a pretty good player but we are pretty good on RW and I don’t know if he’d improve or LW side if we moved him over there. It would be nice to get rid of Neal, but that is a staggering price to pay for that. Holloway is looking great. His upside isn’t determined but he’s pretty much a lock to be a useful NHLer sooner than later. Broberg is a massive ball of potential and he’s tracking well. Oilers say no easily.

concur w/much of this post, just want to emphasize:

1. Deangelo clearing is nobody wants him at full pop when there is a chance that w/correct positive going to NY, Rangers would retain.

2. EMPHASIZE Deangelo production is x factor kicker. Real value = financial savings whether he is retained or bought 0ut compared to Neal. That is what Oil are buying, actual and potential $ advantage

3 Buch shoots left and can play LW. We have Kreider at LW so happy to have him at RW, but is a natural fit other hand.

4 Holloway was a possible but I am good with yielding if a package on the rest of it can be agreed to.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Buch: we need to be ahead of the curve, not behind.
we have Kravtsov and Barron coming soon
Both Krav and Barron are completely unproven. You always do this. Real GMs do not trade proven players before young talent develops and pushes them out. Buch stays and you are once again proven wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad