NYR
W Buchnevich 3.25 at half = 1.625 expiring w/rfa + D Deangelo 4.8 x 2
+ BUF 2021 3rd + TOR 2021 4th
total cap 6.425
for

EDM
Broberg 984,167 elc x 3 + Koekkoek 850,000 expiring ufa + Neal 5.7 x 3 then ufa
+ EITHER
rights to Dylan Holloway (2020 draft mid first, unsigned, no cap hit)
OR
Oilers 2022 and 2023 2nd round picks
total cap 7.534,167

cap dif is [7.534,167 - 6.425] = 1.109,167 instant cap savings to EDM

comment on value:
the extra year on Neal at 5.7 commands a full 2nd, pushing a first given the Marleau/Staal standard, 6m and over = 1st, 5 short of 6 = 2nd, etc.
that is one 2nd
Oil do not have a 3rd or 5th and get a good 3rd and a 4th, plus they are getting
half on Buchnevich,
dif on Neal two years vs Deangelo two years
all of those combine to = at least the other 2nd
OR Holloway for both 2nds
{whether Holloway or the two 2nds, either path = not immediately useful assets, i.e., = delayed not instant gratification as to their usefulness which benefits Oil}

--------------------
Analysis/check boxes:
Oil:
PROS
- $ wise, want to dump Neal, pref at full pop. check
Since getting rid of Lucic there has been an extended process of removing this salary or its successor; big win to move added year at more $
- want upgrade at RD check
Deangelo carries a risk factor, but even should it b'c necessary, due to age he is a cheap buyout; but as to performance he was like 3rd best scoring D last yr. That is not everything but it is not nothing, either.
Deangelo will be playing to justify being kept in NHL, it is not a given but a decent bet he will try to avoid something that eliminates that.
- production wise, getting Buch, retained no less, is a top 6/first line W add check
Buch is young and will make the cut for the exp dr
Deangelo also mid 20s and EDM has flexibility to protect or expose in exp dr
- CF says EDM has zero cap space so 1m+ is signif

CONS
- futures
From a standpoint of the immediate roster, Broberg is not a loss as he is not with the big club atm.
Also, Oil have committed to Klefbom + Nurse, and in cap tight environment of next 2 yrs, taker for either at current salary is uphill w/o retention. So immediate sacrifice does not have instant consequence. However, longer term this is repurposing of a top 10 pick, and Oil will have to weigh how much going all in win now vs. build as you go. Not a prob w/sufficient drafting/trading/signings.

Picks vs. Holloway
Holloway not even signed yet, and projects as a W not a C. Buch is proven instant help.

Rangers
overall
- $ wise, want to dump Deangelo, pref at full pop. check
It is a major concession to take back not just salary but a larger salary.
However, repurposing of player value surrendered for potential blue chip stud = worthwhile

- if Neal bought out he will cost more than Deangelo, but that is only $, and NY can/should go there IF there is enough in assets returned. Neal will stay on the taxi squad, on merit, and NY will see if they can send Neal to SEA as its exp dr selection for a couple of prospects in follow up trade super cheap.

- Either way Neal is not a big deal if repurposing player value on Deangelo and esp Buch is achieved into futures, which facilitates we get to a core of emerging younger talent and streamlines mgmt of cap going forward.

- NY has enough Fs to absorb loss of Buch short term, w/Kratsov here as early as this yr and Barron strong possible to also join next season.
No to the fallacy of keep Buch until those other guys are here.
Make a deal now when a deal is most opportune and give kids mo mins.

- if we get Holloway it is a crapshoot but he could be a speed replacement for Kreider in 4 yrs
otherwise two 2nds works.

- want upgrade at LD check
how good Broberg will/will not be is unclear. However, the hope is he could maybe turn into another K'Andre Miller

- want room for Nils L, check

- better prepare for exp dr
Buchnevich + Deangelo [if protected] fit nicely in EDM exp dr picture.
But taking them off NY roster is a plus for Rangers. Broberg is exempt, happy to expose Neal, get an extra protection slot for Hajek on D and a deserving F

CONS
- none significant, just have to absorb Neal which is a prob short term, but not insurmountable.

--------
possible follow up is something around
Koekkoek 850,000 to FL
for
Juulsen 700k
minor LD for RD complementary swap/stopgap

have at it, and play nice....

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rather just buyout TDA in the summer than do this.

Also Rangers shouldn't be moving Buch.

We agree to disagree.
Buch is not long term keeper given reality of salary cap.
Do not want to repeat Strome etc wait until last minute, extend, then if you want roster flexibility, you need a partner who can handle 4.5.

Move Buch now while his value is higher b'c it is same production for less $.

Why go vs adding futures?
Don't fall into win now trap we have been trying to escape from.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Do you really value Holloway at only 2 * 2nd ? A mid first (14) performing well in the NCAA ? No team would trade 14 OA for two 2 2nds in the 40/50 OA range...

Broberg is playing well in Europe, he was 8th OA two years ago, i.e. his value (except if you believe he is a disappointment) should be higher than 8th OA this year because he is closer to the NHL. Would you trade the 8th OA for Buchnevich ? (This is an honest question, I have an easier time than most saying the 8th OA is on the table, but for a 2nd line winger, this seems like a lot)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Edmonton’s not giving you just Broberg for that.

And Dyan Holloway in case you missed that. I see what you’re saying though that Broberg alone is worth more than that if I read it right. I’d consider it if it was Broberg alone, I like Buchnevich.

As for the OP — **** no, Holloway is going to be an absolute mainstay on our roster.

He’s absolutely shredding the NCAA apart right now.

Zero interest in a locker room destroyer in DeAngelo either unless he agrees to undergo serious work with a psychiatrist on a couple of times a week basis to figure out what the **** is wrong with him. I believe in second chances but he’s got some issues to work out, way too gifted of a player to piss all this talent away.

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Edmonton’s not giving you just Broberg for that.

I am open to polite discussion as to what you think is fair, but the level of premium for Broberg will not go into crazy massive overcompensation.

Somewhere there is a line and with an open mind we can see if we can agree to find where that is.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
thanks
feel free to embellish

Oilers are not taking TDA, and they need to keep their youth and hit on some of them. Maybe you would get one of them in a deal, not both.

Rangers are not taking Neal's deal, and if they deal Buch, it won't be attached to TDA to boost value. Seattle is also not taking Neal unless there is a 1st attached. No thanks.

Also from the Rangers POV, we have our kids. We really don't need anymore kids.

Reactions: CasusBelli

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Do you really value Holloway at only 2 * 2nd ? A mid first (14) performing well in the NCAA ? No team would trade 14 OA for two 2 2nds in the 40/50 OA range...

Broberg is playing well in Europe, he was 8th OA two years ago, i.e. his value (except if you believe he is a disappointment) should be higher than 8th OA this year because he is closer to the NHL. Would you trade the 8th OA for Buchnevich ? (This is an honest question, I have an easier time than most saying the 8th OA is on the table, but for a 2nd line winger, this seems like a lot)

thank you for constructive feedback.

1. Buch is clearly top 6. He is first line material. Proof? Kreider + Zib = first liners and he is usually on that W, esp lately.
Also, many if not most clubs, he would fit as 1W.

2. In a vacuum, no Buch does not fetch 8OA.

3. However, this is clearly a package. All the other benefits to Oil in this deal are signif.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

forgot to comment on the bold
I demonstrated how value of 2 2nds is established.

Just giving Oil option on mid 1st vs two 2nds
I'm glad he's doing well at college level, but still a ways from NHL. Also, originally projected as possible C, thought I heard now it looks more like he is strictly a W.

Holloway is not a dealbreaker here, we'll take 2 picks

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
thank you for constructive feedback.

1. Buch is clearly top 6. He is first line material. Proof? Kreider + Zib = first liners and he is usually on that W, esp lately.
Also, many if not most clubs, he would fit as 1W.

2. In a vacuum, no Buch does not fetch 8OA.

3. However, this is clearly a package. All the other benefits to Oil in this deal are signif.

Thank you for your kind words.

1. I agree he is top 6 material and maybe 1st line with an elite center but does it mean you want to pay that much for him, this is a question of taste I guess

2. I tend to agree

3. There I agree that it should make EDM better, if DeAngelo comes back to last year's production, which is a key assumption. BUT you have paid Holloway + Broberg so you don't have any more quality chips if you want to improve the roster...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad