Speculation: Nylander VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I kinda laugh when I hear about how "righteous" professional atheletes are for taking "salary discounts".
Millions of average working folks take discounts all the time. Maybe they don't promotions and more money because it means shift work which would upset their family. Or they don't move to another city because they don't want to disrupt their children's schooling or they are helping taking care of elderly parents .

While I don't expect to any player to take a discount....if he doesn't want to, I don't think a player is being uniquely heroic if he does.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
you actually think he's losing money because he's asking for 8.5m ? really ?

do you actually think him , his agent and his father are morons ?

it's easier to believe from the statements coming from our mgmt/coach about how they want everyone to take discounts that this impasse is based on Dubas low balling him and trying to establish a tough rep for himself

So, you think this is Dubas' fault, and nothing to do with Nylander/Gross? If the ask was, say, 6.5, do you not think he'd be signed by now?

As for "him, his agent and his father are morons", the jury is still out. Time will tell.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I kinda laugh when I hear about how "righteous" professional atheletes are for taking "salary discounts".
Millions of average working folks take discounts all the time. Maybe they don't promotions and more money because it means shift work which would upset their family. Or they don't move to another city because they don't want to disrupt their children's schooling or they are helping taking care of elderly parents .

While I don't expect to any player to take a discount....if he doesn't want to, I don't think a player is being uniquely heroic if he does.

The best part is when players make it seem like their duty to their fellow union members to take the most bloated contract possible. Not for themselves of course, it's all for the small guys in the union.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
You were also confident that Tavares wasn’t signing with the Leafs and look how that turned out.

And a rational person that would only be able to use his comments as facts would think that. Not my fault I couldn’t read the fact that he was a liar from his robotic interviews.

Sorry your golden boy is turning into your whipping boy :(

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
So, you think this is Dubas' fault, and nothing to do with Nylander/Gross? If the ask was, say, 6.5, do you not think he'd be signed by now?

As for "him, his agent and his father are morons", the jury is still out. Time will tell.
i think it has more to do with Willie knowing he'll be moved at some point in the future once we used 11m on signing JT than pointing at who's at fault

there's only so much cap space , we have a 23 man roster to fill and realizing we'll have 30m if not a little more tied up in AM/JT/MM next season it's easy to assume something has to give and if we know this Willie and his people would know as well

if Dubas thinks he can grind all his kids to sign under market level deals as mgmt/coach have said multiple times and still have cash left over to spend on the rest of the roster without losing anyone then i believe he's a delusional fool tbh

lets say we sign MNM to reasonable/team friendly deals and are able to dump Marleau

AM 11.5
JT 11
MM 8
WN 6.5
NK 4.5
MR 5
NZ 4.5
FA 5
= 57.2 m for 8 players and Kessel's salary retention which leaves only 25m for the remaining 15 players with say a 82m cap next yr

and sure we could easily fill the roster with cheap vets and elc's but the goal isn't just to fill the rest of the roster as cheaply as we can but to build a roster which can win a cup

also we'll constantly have guys coming off there elc's that'll want to get paid like Kap and Dermott a year after him

Reactions: E76

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
= 57.2 m for 8 players and Kessel's salary retention which leaves only 25m for the remaining 15 players with say a 82m cap next yr

and sure we could easily fill the roster with cheap vets and elc's but the goal isn't just to fill the rest of the roster as cheaply as we can but to build a roster which can win a cup

Lol life is so alarming when you don't stop to think about things.

9 of those 15 spots are the 4thline + F spares + Bottom pair+ D spare + Backup. We shouldn't be spending more than 10 mill combined there.

That leaves 15 mill for 2x top 4 dmen, 2x 3rd line wings, 2x 3rd fiddle wing playing beside two stars. Realistically there's no reason to pay more than 6-7 million for the 4 forwards combined (and with any luck could be done for 4) leaving 8 to 11 to spend on top 4 d.

Reactions: Holy Mackinaw

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
Hall >> Nylander, so they'd have to trade for someone << Larsson for them to be comparable deals.

When Hall was traded for Larsson though, he was coming off a 65 point season, which is pretty similar to Nylander last year. Their possession numbers for those seasons are comparable too.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
When is the last time an RFA went this deep into the regular season without a contract? Anyone know? I realize that Ritchie is doing it as well, but I'm talking about prior to this season.
Ansersen of the jackets? Turris?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Lol life is so alarming when you don't stop to think about things.

9 of those 15 spots are the 4thline + F spares + Bottom pair+ D spare + Backup. We shouldn't be spending more than 10 mill combined there.

That leaves 15 mill for 2x top 4 dmen, 2x 3rd line wings, 2x 3rd fiddle wing playing beside two stars. Realistically there's no reason to pay more than 6-7 million for the 4 forwards combined (and with any luck could be done for 4) leaving 8 to 11 to spend on top 4 d.
so 6-7 m for four top 6 wingers so basically crap vets and kids on elc's who'll have to be moved if they play well after there elc's are up

if Kap has a good year he'll want at least 2-3m , then add Hyman and brown and you've already chewed up your 7m allotment with another player needed to be paid

so that leaves you 7 m to use on two hopefully quality top 4 D while you have to fill your third pair with decent players for only a 1m each

so yea life isn't as simple as you're trying to make it , doable sure but even then it'll be a revolving door of cheap players who if they play well will leave to get paid or crap your trying to get by with

Reactions: hittes petr sykora

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Just take Weber. PLZ!!! No? Ok hopefully another day!
Literally, Every nylander to mtl thread

Last edited:

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
You guys should take Anaheim off the list. Value aside, Nylander for a top 4 RHD (which is what Toronto is looking for?) hurts the Ducks more than it helps. Even Nylander for Montour (I know the value is heavily in Anaheim's favor) would hurt... it would make both Sustr and Schenn regular d-men and one of them in the top 4. On top of that, there's the money issue. The only d-man that financially makes sense would be Fowler. If Nylander were willing to settle for something close to Manson's salary, Toronto would already have signed and faxed the paperwork before the ink dried. I just don't think there is a trade to be made between the two sides that works financially and makes both teams better.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
You forgot to add the cost of Nylander's replacement. Even if it's in-house like Kapanen, giving him Nylander's minutes beside Matthews bumps him from 2ish mil in the bottom 6 to 4-5+ if he keeps playing like this.

The cost of Nylanders replacement is no different than the replacement required for Gardiner. Kap is on an ELC, he doesnt have much in the way of negotiating.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Leafs plan is probably to sign nylander and trade him next summer.
I dont think nylander agrees to a contract without a nmc

Agents and players are not stupid. He wont sign a discounted long term deal without a nmc. If he is not eligible for one he wont sign for anything less than top dollar. Or sign a bridge.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Agents and players are not stupid. He wont sign a discounted long term deal without a nmc. If he is not eligible for one he wont sign for anything less than top dollar. Or sign a bridge.

I agree, if he’s taking less to be here then the Leafs should give a NMC. If he’s really asking for 8 or if they settle closer to 7 then he doesn’t deserve one imo.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
For all the concern about the Leafs cap situation the Jets are probably worse off than the Leafs

Don’t see them as a candidate to take on Nylander

Nylander is in the situation as Trouba, doubt anyone will trade for either without talking contract first.

Nylander could represent an upgrade over Little if Nylander could play centre, but that’s speculation. Nylander has no role on the Jets as a winger. If the Jets would comfortable with a Nylander contract (about 6.5 million long term) & confident he could play centre they would need to trade away a big contract (Little as example) as part of the deal or as a separate deal (harder).....which the Leafs wouldn’t want likely. Doubt Jets trade Trouba for Nylander, Trouba is far more critical to team success then Nylander would be as a upgrade over Little. Jets would never trade a Connor for Nylander either, Connor is on a gold ELC putting up 30+ goals.

I see absolutely no way of a deal between the Jets & Leafs involving Nylander. People can correct me if they feel otherwise.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Nylander is in the situation as Trouba, doubt anyone will trade for either without talking contract first.

Nylander could represent an upgrade over Little if Nylander could play centre, but that’s speculation. Nylander has no role on the Jets as a winger. If the Jets would comfortable with a Nylander contract (about 6.5 million long term) & confident he could play centre they would need to trade away a big contract (Little as example) as part of the deal or as a separate deal (harder).....which the Leafs wouldn’t want likely. Doubt Jets trade Trouba for Nylander, Trouba is far more critical to team success then Nylander would be as a upgrade over Little. Jets would never trade a Connor for Nylander either, Connor is on a gold ELC putting up 30+ goals.

I see absolutely no way of a deal between the Jets & Leafs involving Nylander. People can correct me if they feel otherwise.
Furthermore if Nylander would sign for $6.5 over long term, I think the Leafs would prefer to have him on the team.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Furthermore if Nylander would sign for $6.5 over long term, I think the Leafs would prefer to have him on the team.

Well.....we don’t really know the situation from either side....if Nylander demands are true it might be him basically saying trade me or overpay me to stay in TO we don’t know. But fair to say no one will pay him 8 million per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad