Speculation: Nylander VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
When were we ever discussing actual salary? This is about cap hit. Dubas and MLSE/Rogers could drive a giant dump truck of money over to Nylander and not bat an eye, all they car about it the cap hit.

When you were claiming he would actually be paid $6.6m/year when signing late:

I’m convinced the Leafs are exploiting the cap loophole where signing a contract in season results in cap relief.

I shared the link previously but if Toronto waits until Dec 1 to sign Nylander to a $6.6M deal his cap hit next season and each season thereafter will only be $6.2M.

Not sure they would do the same with Marner and Matthews but I can see them fighting for every inch of cap space they can get.

I highly doubt they're "exploiting the loophole". Why would Nylander wait all that time just to sign a contract that pays him $6.2m/year? Especially if the rumors are true the Leafs have offered $6.25m-$6.5m.

The cap hit becomes $6.2M due to the rule. He is actually being paid $6.6M/yr

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
How about this for Pesce - I think both teams get what they need:

TO CAROLINA:

1. Nylander
(maybe $6,800,000 x 6 years)
2. Nielsen (or another prospect)
3. Timashov (or another prospect)
4. 2019 4th (STL via Soshnikov)

TO TORONTO:

1. Pesce | $2,000,000 retained
(his cap hit would = $2,025,000 x 5 years)
2. Marleau Buyout Facilitation (as per below)
  • Marleau is traded to Carolina next summer.
  • Carolina immediately buys-out Marleau out.
  • The Leafs immediately re-sign Marleau.
  • Marleau never actually leaves Toronto.
  • Cost to Carolina = $3,800,000 real dollars & $6,250,000 cap-space (for 1-year only).
  • If Toronto signs Marleau for the league minimum, he will still pocket 300K extra.
  • This is exactly what WSH/COL did with the Orpik trade this summer.
------

CAROLINA OUTCOME:

• They will still be $5-12 mil under the cap in 2019-20 (after re-signing UFA/RFA's).
  • After the 2019-20 season, they'll only be stuck with Pesce's $2,000,000 retained.
TORONTO OUTCOME:
  • The Leafs would have roughly $11,000,000 in extra cap-space in 2019-20.
  • The only change to their roster would be swapping Nylander for Pesce.
  • The $11,000,000 would be enough cap space to pursue 1 or 2 UFA's like:
  • FWD: Panarin, Stone, Silfverberg, Lee, etc.
  • DEF: Myers, Stralman, Rutta, Schmidt, etc.
Possibly ending up with a core of:

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marlo - Matthews - Stone
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Grundy - Lindholm - Brown
---------
Rielly - Myers

Dermott - Pesce
Borgman - Oziganov
Sandin - Liljegren

I like the Buyout idea, but were talking about an owner who wants to pay his GM pennies on the dollar

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
William Nylander
for
Brett Pesce & 3rd

Andreas Johnsson, Calle Rosen, Canes 3rd/Leafs 2nd
for
Brandon Saad (@4.5 Million)

Jeremy Bracco, Andreas Borgman & 1st
for
Brendan Gallagher
(dont want to see Borgman go, but...)

Kapanen - Matthews - Gallager
Hyman - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Marleau - - - - Kadri - - - - Saad
Leivo - - - Lindholm - - - Brown

Rielly - - - - Pesce
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey
Ozhiganov

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Or just Nylander for Pesce straight up. I don't see why Carolina would help out Toronto that much

I don't think Nylander for Pesce would be anywhere near fair for Toronto.

Nylander would be a lot of teams best prospect or best player.

He's very comparable in value to Aho in Carolina (Aho likely has a slight edge). Aho is probably their #1 asset while Pesce is their #4-6 asset.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Well Willie has to make a choice... does he only care about money and the position he plays. Or will he eventually understand that making a bit less money now to actually get his name on the cup is much more valuable.

Hell if he wins a cup he can write his own ticket for the rest of his life even if he goes home and lives in Sweden. He probably would end up coaching a SHL team or being a leafs scout.

Does he only see the short term gain or does he actually start to see the big picture?

Personally I think he should tell his old man to have a Coke, a smile and shut the **** up. Then fire his agent.

Yeeah , you certainly doesnt hide your bias to have a competitive team! Nylander are a Rfa with little leverage, signing a teamfriendly contract would only make him more valuable to a trade, he can be traded the day after he signs. The leverage he has is to get a bit overpayed, that reduce his tradevalue and shows commitment from the Leafs.

So your romantic drivel about cups and immortality is simpel BS, its the cap era where supporting cast change teams from year to year. Perhaps a untouchable like AM plays out his career in Toronto, but even in his case it isnt a sure thing.

Nylander have been a traderumor since the J.T signing and before that. I think its great that W.N has a father who knows the business, so he doesnt get ripped over. he seems to be a great father and are there for his children.

Nick backstrom lived there for a long time and was treated like a family member when he came over as a rookie to Capitals. Seems to be a great family.

‘He’s always there for us’: Sports a family affair for Michael Nylander and his hockey- and tennis-playing children

Reactions: Michel Beauchamp

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I don't think Nylander for Pesce would be anywhere near fair for Toronto.

Nylander would be a lot of teams best prospect or best player.

He's very comparable in value to Aho in Carolina (Aho likely has a slight edge). Aho is probably their #1 asset while Pesce is their #4-6 asset.

It's a fair hockey trade imo. Top 6 winger for top 4 dman

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Yeeah , you certainly doesnt hide your bias to have a competitive team! Nylander are a Rfa with little leverage, signing a teamfriendly contract would only make him more valuable to a trade, he can be traded the day after he signs. The leverage he has is to get a bit overpayed, that reduce his tradevalue and shows commitment from the Leafs.

So your romantic drivel about cups and immortality is simpel BS, its the cap era where supporting cast change teams from year to year. Perhaps a untouchable like AM plays out his career in Toronto, but even in his case it isnt a sure thing.

Nylander have been a traderumor since the J.T signing and before that. I think its great that W.N has a father who knows the business, so he doesnt get ripped over. he seems to be a great father and are there for his children.

Nick backstrom lived there for a long time and was treated like a family member when he came over as a rookie to Capitals. Seems to be a great family.

‘He’s always there for us’: Sports a family affair for Michael Nylander and his hockey- and tennis-playing children

What is so wrong with a lifelong fan who had patiently waited almost 45 years wanting the team to properly build itself? Why does that make me biased? It's called common sense and the desire to win... and not just have a single shot at it.

Last edited:

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Says you?

Says anyone who has spent and given their entire life with that single solitary goal. It's easy to sit there and act like you and so many are...but that only means you don't have a solitary clue about the mindset of a player who has the chance to play with an elite team and possibly win a cup or two.

Many players have made the sacrifice to take less so the team can be as good as possible. Tampa anyone?

Feb 24, 2017
Says anyone who has spent and given their entire life with that single solitary goal. It's easy to sit there and act like you and so many are...but that only means you don't have a solitary clue about the mindset of a player who has the chance to play with an elite team and possibly win a cup or two.

Many players have made the sacrifice to take less so the team can be as good as possible. Tampa anyone?
Did you win any cups by taking less in your career?

Reactions: Dahlin 2 Eichel

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Plz watch him before spitting nonsense.

Just because he's a gritty skilled winger still doesn't mean we need him. If the Leafs were to go after a winger, it'd really be limited to one that can provide a lot of size, physicality, and truculence to the team with the skill/skating to boot- and ideally, one who's not shy to drop the gloves and defend his teammates. Someone that provides a physical edge. That's not Gallagher.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
It’s a start.

Carolina needs to add.

Maybe something like this...

Nylander
Timashov
Nielsen

For

Foegele
Pesce
McKeown
Buffalos 2nd & 3rd in 2019

Lol at CAR adding Foegele. If a trade is to be made it’d be 1-1, Pesce for Nylander. That doesn’t work...oh well.

Reactions: MinJaBen

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
It’s a start.

Carolina needs to add.

Maybe something like this...

Nylander
Timashov
Nielsen

For

Foegele
Pesce
McKeown
Buffalos 2nd & 3rd in 2019

Zero chance Toronto pries Foegele away given how well he has played on the 1st line

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Just because he's a gritty skilled winger still doesn't mean we need him. If the Leafs were to go after a winger, it'd really be limited to one that can provide a lot of size, physicality, and truculence to the team with the skill/skating to boot- and ideally, one who's not shy to drop the gloves and defend his teammates. Someone that provides a physical edge. That's not Gallagher.
Re: Petry not Gallagher

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
62c66bd6012cd1744d5d12bf471c0366.gif

Wishful thinking :laugh::laugh::laugh:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Except obv. The first year because he’s losing all the salary from not playing?

They could have simply signed him to an equivalent deal before the season even started. No need to wait until Dec 1st to exploit a "loophole".

year 1: $4.5m
year 2-8: $6.6m /year
AAV: $6.34m

He gets paid his $6.6m in years 2+ and the Leafs get a lower cap hit. Or sign him to an equivalent deal today:

year 1: $4.81m (he gets paid $4.5m of it)
year 2-8: $6.6m/year
AAV: $6.34m

My point is the idea of delaying till December 1st to lower his future cap hit isn't some wonderful cap loophole. That's not even getting into the likelihood he'll get a lower then average salary in year 1 like Lindholm if he eventually does sign a long term deal, further negating the cap benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad