Speculation: Nylander VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I wonder how many people would agree to taking a 5%-10% paycut of their salary just becasue their salary is already high enough....
More like.. If I was already making countless times more than I would ever need in my lifetime, and I had just spent 2 years working under one of the best in my industry, for a company primed to rocket to the top of the industry, and they offered me a 400% raise, I probably wouldn't start my third year sitting at home until I got a 500% raise instead. Especially when I was already at or above market rate as an individual with little experience, and they had a TON of benefits. I probably wouldn't risk getting transferred or fired, forced to move and leave everybody I know at a place I am happy, to an unknown place with worse learning potential, and less opportunity for advancement, who won't pay me the 500% raise either anyway, while offering less benefits.

I would take the small amount less, that is still entirely fair and market value for my industry, in order to not leave a situation that I love, that is best for my long-term career and earning potential.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
We need a list of teams that would be in the market for him but also have what the leafs would require in a trade (surplus d)

Anaheim (Manson)
Carolina (Pesce)
Nashville (Ellis)
Philly (gudas, Morin)
Vegas (Hague, Brannstrom)
Islanders (Pullock)
Minnesota (spurgeon)

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
We need a list of teams that would be in the market for him but also have what the leafs would require in a trade (surplus d)

Anaheim (Manson)
Carolina (Pesce)
Nashville (Ellis)
Philly (gudas, Morin)
Islanders (Pullock)
Minnesota (spurgeon)

I honestly believe there is a 0% chance Elis is moved before Subban.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010

Anaheim (Manson)
Carolina (Pesce)
Nashville (Ellis)
Philly (gudas, Morin)
Islanders (Pullock)
Minnesota (spurgeon)

Good start. Now take Isles off the list.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I mean I wouldn't say no but that's not what I had in mind.

Subban + Hartman for Nylander + Zaitsev.
I would do this in a hearbeat as a Leafs fan. Getting Subban on the Leafs blue-line would be a game changer.

Rielly - Subban
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Ozhiganov

Bumps Hainsey off the top-pair, gives Gardiner a partner that can play back and let him play aggressive, moving Zaitsev/Nylander gives enough cap space to fit Subban. Still not perfect on the right side, but a massive step in the right direction. Adding Liljegrin would make it respectable.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Jaccob Slavin
Colton Parayko
Jacob Trouba
Matt Dumba

Those are just a few names, obviously depends on the fit for other teams but that's something the Leafs would be looking towards.
Let's be very clear here. Nylander is not worth parayko. Not even close. Now add in the fact that nylander hasn't been at training camp is a hold out and wants 8+ a year to bevs winger. That adds negative value. On top of that scoring doesn't seem to be an issue right now for blues defense is.

So do us all a favor just remove parayko name from list of possible trade targets. Nothing personal just facts

Jul 10, 2003
KW

That would be an absolutely amazing trade for Toronto. To get our #1 rhd and solve our cap issues all in the same trade would make Dubas like a genius. I can't see Nashville taking the risk on Zaitsev here though, they'd want either Dermott or Liljegren I'd think.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
That would be an absolutely amazing trade for Toronto. To get our #1 rhd and solve our cap issues all in the same trade would make Dubas like a genius. I can't see Nashville taking the risk on Zaitsev here though, they'd want either Dermott or Liljegren I'd think.

Really? I thought Zaitsez was a serviceable top 4.

The problem is another looming expansion draft. If Nashville got Nylander, they would need to do the 7/3 protection plan than the 8 skaters ones.

If Toronto would do Nylander and Liligren for Subban and Hartman, I'd rather do that, but I'm just not sure Toronto would be ok with that kind of deal or that Liligren is ready for a top 4 role.

Reactions: Nifty Willy
Jul 10, 2003
KW
Really? I thought Zaitsez was a serviceable top 4.

The problem is another looming expansion draft. If Nashville got Nylander, they would need to do the 7/3 protection plan than the 8 skaters ones.

If Toronto would do Nylander and Liligren for Subban and Hartman, I'd rather do that, but I'm just not sure Toronto would be ok with that kind of deal or that Liligren is ready for a top 4 role.

The issue with Zaitsev is his contract, it's 4.5m with 6 years remaining, including this year. He looked like he'd be a solid #4 in his rookie season, then last season he played like a bottom pairing d. It could go either way with him, at worst he's a bottom pairing RHD making 4.5 for a long time, or at best he's a top 4.

Liljegren wouldn't be easy to give up, but in this scenario I'm sure the Leafs brass would at least consider it.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
You don't give up young D when you have no depth on D. You give up F. Or F + Hainsey.

Zaitsev, Dermott and Liljegren will all be kept.

Reactions: Confucius

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Anaheim (Manson)
Carolina (Pesce)
Nashville (Ellis)
Philly (gudas, Morin)
Islanders (Pullock)
Minnesota (spurgeon)

You can go ahead and remove Manson from your list, Anaheim doesn't need Luke Schenn in its top 4. They can't move yet another top 4 D just a year after trading Vatanen and Theodore, no longer have the depth to do so.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

I'd do it. Hartman isn't that good, but upgrading to Subban and getting rid of Zaitsev's contract is a bonus. Nylander would kill it in nashville.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Let's be very clear here. Nylander is not worth parayko. Not even close. Now add in the fact that nylander hasn't been at training camp is a hold out and wants 8+ a year to bevs winger. That adds negative value. On top of that scoring doesn't seem to be an issue right now for blues defense is.

So do us all a favor just remove parayko name from list of possible trade targets. Nothing personal just facts

Fair, but not even close? Come on, lets not stroke Parayko clean here like you're doing. Willy put up back to back 60 point seasons in his sleep. I listed those names just as examples of names as returns we'd be looking for in return for Nylander and maybe another asset(s) if it is required.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I mean if Toronto would do Liligren and Nylander for Subban and Hartman, I'm all for it. I just assumed that isn't what Toronto would want to do

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Here is a insightful read of what comes with William Nylander. No paywall.

SINS OF THE FATHER
BY GARE JOYCE IN TORONTO

You'd think being the son of a former NHLer would help pave the way for a talented young player. But, as outlined in this exclusive excerpt from Gare Joyce's new book 'Young Leafs', what the Maple Leafs risked by drafting William Nylander is that he'd be too much like his dad.

Big Read: What the Maple Leafs risked by drafting William Nylander - Sportsnet.ca

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I imagine Liljegren isn't available.

He's a steal of a prospect, doing amazing, at our position of highest need, who is protected in the expansion draft, who will have a cheap ELC exactly when we need it. Has also shown brief chemistry with our next best prospect, Sandin.

Also a lot of Zaitsev bashing in this thread for no reason. He's a good player, and while I understand the concerns around his contract with core players needing to be signed, he's paid pretty fairly for what he is (and for what his negotiating leverage was at the time), and has room to grow. That contract could be a HUGE help for us down the road.

Not saying I wouldn't move Zaitsev in a trade for Subban, but people acting like it's a bonus to get rid of that contract, give your head a shake.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
He is greedy, straight up

But you had no problem with Tavares signing for the NHL's second largest cap hit behind McDavid? Why didn't Tavares settle for 9.5 mil a year like Kucherov did so he could set the tone for Leafs players "all taking less to be part of the team?" Tavares was making 5.5 mil... wait, a 73% salary increase to 9.5 mil wasn't enough? He needed to make 11?

"We're going to pay Tavares the second largest cap hit in the NHL but William, Mitch and Auston, you all need to take less."

Nylander greedy? lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad