Speculation: Nylander VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Well.....we don’t really know the situation from either side....if Nylander demands are true it might be him basically saying trade me or overpay me to stay in TO we don’t know. But fair to say no one will pay him 8 million per year.

Agreed. Just saying if there was a long term contract in that range I'm sure the Leafs would prefer to have him on the team. As far as trading him, it's only been reported by both sides that he wants to be a Leaf and that the Leafs don't want to trade him. Take reports with as many grains of salt as you would like though I guess.

In regards to paying 8, yeah no one is going to want to do that. It won't help Nylander in terms of criticism if he has a hard time maintaining his worth and it won't help the team negotiating with any other RFA's.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Leafs should give him 1yr/$15M with an 8yr/$6M per extension signed in a drawer somewhere. Equal to 9yr/$63M Gets Willie an AAV of 7M over that nine years. Or ya know. Something like this.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
1 million (and I'm simplifying here) is in the ballpark of 20 years of my salary. If you look at it from an everyday person's life, it sounds like he's arguing the difference between 5M yearly and we'll say 7M. That's akin to someone saying nah, 100 years worth of an average person's salary per year isn't good enough, I need 140x their yearly salary per year over 7-8 years... or I don't play. Sure would be nice to win the lottery at age 22..

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Flyers:
Nylander
3rd 2019

Leafs:
Gudas
Konecny

Flyers already have a bright future on defense. They move one of their older D and a young player for a now upgrade and in the future. They get a bonafide top line winger who can also play center if needed or to cover for injuries.

Leafs add a missing element to their team, a mean guy who can play defense in a top 4 role. They also get a young replacement winger who has upside as a top 6 winger.​

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
1 million (and I'm simplifying here) is in the ballpark of 20 years of my salary. If you look at it from an everyday person's life, it sounds like he's arguing the difference between 5M yearly and we'll say 7M. That's akin to someone saying nah, 100 years worth of an average person's salary per year isn't good enough, I need 140x their yearly salary per year over 7-8 years... or I don't play. Sure would be nice to win the lottery at age 22..

The minimum salary is in the ballpark of 13-15 years of your salary, so 8 years at minimum should make all players happy, right?

While hockey players are definitely making a lot of money, I wonder how many people would agree to taking a 5%-10% paycut of their salary just becasue their salary is already high enough....

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Flyers:
Nylander
3rd 2019

Leafs:
Gudas
Konecny

Flyers already have a bright future on defense. They move one of their older D and a young player for a now upgrade and in the future. They get a bonafide top line winger who can also play center if needed or to cover for injuries.

Leafs add a missing element to their team, a mean guy who can play defense in a top 4 role. They also get a young replacement winger who has upside as a top 6 winger.​
I'd rather not waste value on another small winger. The Leafs need full value on a 1 for 1 trade for a dman

Reactions: Confucius

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
The minimum salary is in the ballpark of 13-15 years of your salary, so 8 years at minimum should make all players happy, right?

While hockey players are definitely making a lot of money, I wonder how many people would agree to taking a 5%-10% paycut of their salary just becasue their salary is already high enough....

Depends on your standards for living I guess. Some people spend spend spend and have countless things they don't need. If you're used to wiping your butt with $100 bills I can see how league minimum for 8 years might not do it for you, but that just speaks to how greedy most people are. George Carlin had a standup bit talking about "stuff", it was pretty great :)

Reactions: 37Bergenov14

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Depends on your standards for living I guess. Some people spend spend spend and have countless things they don't need. If you're used to wiping your butt with $100 bills I can see how league minimum for 8 years might not do it for you, but that just speaks to how greedy most people are. George Carlin had a standup bit talking about "stuff", it was pretty great :)

I think that for many players the salary is more a matter of recognition than greed. Many of them would be able to live with lower salary, but most would not like to be valued less than inferior players...

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
That's a silly way to look at it. Making moves out of spite has no benefit to the Leafs.

If a good trade comes around? Trade him.
If he wants to sign for a reasonable amount? Sign him.
If there are no good trades, and he won't settle for a reasonable amount? Let him sit.

It isn't acting like a spoiled brat. He is doing what he thinks is best for his career, and Leafs doing whats best for the team. No one needs to be the bad guy.

Yeah but if nylander isnt a villain then how will sportsnet drive traffic to their website?

It's not even Nylander negotiating this thing, it's an agent who has his own incentives on top of that. Oddly enough there seems to be a huge overlap between the "only the eye test matters, stats are fake" crowd and the "TRADE THAT SELFISH DIVA!!!" crowd, I wonder what the common denominator is.

Its a combination or derangement and Nylander not growing up in thornhill. Thats what makes Marner worth 14 million a season and nylander worth a 2 year bridge at 3.8m per

Last edited by a moderator:

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I think that for many players the salary is more a matter of recognition than greed. Many of them would be able to live with lower salary, but most would not like to be valued less than inferior players...

Maybe they don't immediately consider it greed because as you said it's usually based on recognition in relation to peers, but I tend to think when you get young kids like Trouba and Nylander (and his pops I think I heard) who refuse to play hockey because they want even more than their estimated value... well it turns from recognition to greed pretty quickly imo. Leafs would have signed him in a heartbeat to a contract of 6.5M AAV which is pretty close to Ehlers contract given inflation.

Jan 21, 2018
Option A) William Nylander at 8 million for 1 year

Option B) Michael Nylander at league minimum for 1 year

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Leafs should give him 1yr/$15M with an 8yr/$6M per extension signed in a drawer somewhere. Equal to 9yr/$63M Gets Willie an AAV of 7M over that nine years. Or ya know. Something like this.

So basically Leafs give Nylander $15m and then he can decide if he wants to sign the 8x6 deal or become a UFA next summer because there’s no way Leafs would give him a $15m qualifying offer.

Reactions: nturn06

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Maybe they don't immediately consider it greed because as you said it's usually based on recognition in relation to peers, but I tend to think when you get young kids like Trouba and Nylander (and his pops I think I heard) who refuse to play hockey because they want even more than their estimated value... well it turns from recognition to greed pretty quickly imo. Leafs would have signed him in a heartbeat to a contract of 6.5M AAV which is pretty close to Ehlers contract given inflation.

Here is where I am not that sure, with AM and Marner's contract coming up it is possible that Dubas thinks he can play hardball with Nylander. If he can sign him for 6.1, that probably also means a lower staring point in the negotiations with AM/Marner camp, might mean 1 mils combined for the three contracts. Besides, Dubas very likely feels it important to sign him for what he said during the Tavares negotiation.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

If I was making even 500,000 a year, and had to take a 5% cut, I would still be living large at 475,000 per year. Let's not even get into millions lol

He is greedy, straight up

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
I believe Toronto fans are becoming frustrated with Willy. If he wants to behave like a spoiled brat, let him sit out! Do not trade him. Do not give in to outrageous demands.
Trade him. They do not need him. Willie played his hand and lost. Management can now address other areas using Nylander as an asset. Is he devalued? Yes, But proper asset management, will allow the Leafs to fill or address the D issue with a Pesce from Carolina, w/o giving up Lily and Sandman. Get Pesce and in two years you might have a core group of Reilly, Dermott, Pesce, Lilly and Sandman. With the oldest being 26. With that forward core pf JT, Naz, 34 and Marner , that is nice to think about. ASSET MANAGEMENT BABY!!! Make it happen Dubie!!!

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
I dont know if its alread been brought up in the threads?. According to Swedish media, Börje Salming talked to Nylander, gave him advice to try to stay in Toronto if possible cause "it is the best place in the world to be in, for a hockey player"..
They are trying to make him accept a lower salary than the norm, for sure, using pressure tactics. Apparantly Salming is a friend of the family and the management has to be very aware of that. Dont know why Salming has to go to the media whit their private buissness (To put more pressure on Nylander maybe? ) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad