Speculation: Nylander VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Hockey Noon on SportsNet made an interesting comment...Maybe for Trouba?

The rumour is Trouba wants to go to an American market out east. I'd do the deal personally if Nylander would be able to play C between Ehlers and Laine. And sign long term at a reasonable rate.

Reactions: FMichael

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
The rumour is Trouba wants to go to an American market out east. I'd do the deal personally if Nylander would be able to play C between Ehlers and Laine. And sign long term at a reasonable rate.
Yeah - I really don't get Trouba's point of view in the sense that's he's on a team with a few of his countrymen, and it's a really good team to boot.

It seems like he's been a pain since he started his pro career...Maybe he'd accept a trade to Toronto, and sign on for several seasons?

Who knows with these guys...

member 157595

If Trouba would sign here long-term for a reasonable rate I'd add to Nylander for him. No question.

However, as you state I'm not sure he wants to sign in Winnipeg or Toronto.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
if they thought he was a great player or will become one they wouldn't be saying he's only worth what Ehlers signed for

and they've been crapping on him since the start of camp and a few people before then

Paying for what Nylander could become would just be terrible cap management, and I’d say the same for any team in this situation. Sure he may be worth Drai money soon, but there’s no guarantee that he will be and no real argument to pay him that other than his potential, and that isn’t tangible in negotiations, especially when so much is riding on this one.

Reactions: OmniCube

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Dubas is in the better position but he is not winning.
Nylander's value is going down.
Dubas would have won if he traded him July 2, but ...
Explain how his value is going down? Any team that trades for him is still getting a team controlled asset for what? 5 seasons. There isn't even a little dent in his value.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Jaccob Slavin
Colton Parayko
Jacob Trouba
Matt Dumba

Those are just a few names, obviously depends on the fit for other teams but that's something the Leafs would be looking towards.

Trouba wouldn't be available for Nylander. The Jets have zero need for more wingers.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I think the worst thing the Leafs could do is undermine the trust of their players and attempt games like telling a player they are a core member, getting them to sign for a discount, then trading them. For at least a year, Nylander has been the convenient name in Leafs trade rumors. He's been the one out of the "big three" that the media and fans consider the most expendable. When the Leafs signed Tavares, this only increased. Nylander suddenly became a luxury and no longer a necessity - at least that is the narrative.

I've said this before, that the Leafs are my 2nd or 3rd favorite team in the league. I like them a lot, always have, and want them to win Cups. But I am also a little mystified by their approach lately...

A.) Their paying Tavares top dollar as a UFA and now expecting the younger players to help shoulder the burden of that contract (cap hit, not dollars) by compromising on their own financial deals.

B.) Dragging the Nylander situation out, knowing this is only the first of three major contract negotiations with key, young players.

C.) Shanahan campaigning and negotiating through the media, guilt tripping his young players to "all take a little less."

In other words, Shanahan wants all the benefits of a tight-knit, "everyone take less" locker room like Yzerman had in Tampa, yet he doesn't want to do his part for it. Yzerman never went outside of the organization to place a priority on UFA's over his own players. He also never negotiated through the media. Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, etc. ... all took less to stay together, and it all happened quietly, behind closed doors. And Yzerman never guilted them into doing it while tapping into the free agent pool to pay an outsider 11 mil a pop. These are facts.

Yes, signing Tavares was a good thing for the Leafs. Tavares is a stud and he's looking like a great investment. However, what I take exception to is this false narrative that "everyone needs to take less" when Tavares didn't REALLY take less. How is this fair to the young players?

If the Leafs are going to start paying mercenaries, and misleading their own players, then just become the Yankess, Heat, Lakers or some other team that wants to do it that way. But don't try to pretend that this is a "young family" that all needs to grow together or mislead the players or fans. That's my only issue.

If the Leafs were to convince Nylander to give them a discount, then traded him, I would be furious if I were Matthews are Marner. Flat-out tell Nylander that you need to trade him to address other areas of the team and work with him to create a win-win situation so he doesn't leave the organization thinking he was used as an asset and spit out.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
if they thought he was a great player or will become one they wouldn't be saying he's only worth what Ehlers signed for

and they've been crapping on him since the start of camp and a few people before then
If he signs for fair market, I think an overwhelming majority of rational Leaf fans can’t wait to get him back.

Caving to a ridiculous $8.5 million ask is about a 20 or 25% overpayment.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
nylander can play C, id say it would take him a bit of time to get comfortable since he doesnt get to play it too much at the nhl(bout 20% of total time). But if he is moved its cause he wants 7-7.5 mil.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
nylander can play C, id say it would take him a bit of time to get comfortable since he doesnt get to play it too much at the nhl(bout 20% of total time). But if he is moved its cause he wants 7-7.5 mil.
I don't think the Jets can afford Nylander at that cap hit+an adequate Trouba replacement

Reactions: Snowman
Jul 10, 2003
KW
Yeah - I really don't get Trouba's point of view in the sense that's he's on a team with a few of his countrymen, and it's a really good team to boot.

It seems like he's been a pain since he started his pro career...Maybe he'd accept a trade to Toronto, and sign on for several seasons?

One of your fellow Wings fans was saying that Trouba's father is barred from Canada (no idea why) so that would explain why Trouba wants to be in the US, and for that I can't blame him.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I don't think the Jets can afford Nylander at that cap hit+an adequate Trouba replacement

Probably not but it goes both ways whether Trouba is willing to extend (with Winnipeg in the first place) and at what cost. All his RFA years will be eaten up when he hits market, so the AAV could be massive.

As for Nylander playing C, there's no reason he shouldn't develop into one- if not playing one as one right now, on another team. If Nylander ends up staying, I wouldn't be surprised in a few years (or earlier) that Kadri gets moved to wing and Nylander centers the 3rd line. In fact, that is my expectation, but it's tough to get a read on what Babcock wants/does sometimes.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
There is no scenario where he loses a year and makes zero.

That's not even one of the options. If he ultimately doesn't sign with the Maple Leafs or get traded, he will play in Europe.

He will lose quite a bit of cash though. Look, as a Leafs fan, there’s no question what he brings to the table but $8 million is over the top. He should land somewhere where Larkin is.

At this point I’d move him if a young D is available.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
There is no scenario where he loses a year and makes zero.

That's not even one of the options. If he ultimately doesn't sign with the Maple Leafs or get traded, he will play in Europe.
He won't play in Europe. Players of his calibre don't do that. He could blow his knee-out and cost himself tens of millions.

member 157595

If Trouba wants to win and get paid on a team that should be competitive for a while, he should just stay where he is. Winnipeg is easily one of the best-positioned teams going forward as long as ownership spends to the cap.

If he doesn't want to play in Winnipeg for whatever reason, he may have other priorities.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Explain how his value is going down? Any team that trades for him is still getting a team controlled asset for what? 5 seasons. There isn't even a little dent in his value.

Well obviously no team likes tough contract negotiations.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Probably not but it goes both ways whether Trouba is willing to extend (with Winnipeg in the first place) and at what cost. All his RFA years will be eaten up when he hits market, so the AAV could be massive.

As for Nylander playing C, there's no reason he shouldn't develop into one- if not playing one as one right now, on another team. If Nylander ends up staying, I wouldn't be surprised in a few years (or earlier) that Kadri gets moved to wing and Nylander centers the 3rd line. In fact, that is my expectation, but it's tough to get a read on what Babcock wants/does sometimes.
If Trouba is willing to extend at 7-7.5M the Jets look for a way to get it done. Top pairing RHD is more important than a RW when the depth is Wheeler-Laine. As for C, the Jets view and are grooming Roslovic as a future C he's still getting his feet wet though.

Nevertheless, the cap hit of Nylander @7-7.5M is just not a smart use of the budget when the team has adequate forward depth

I would also think Nylanders @7-7.5M+Trouba replacement would exceed what money would need to be shelled out for just Trouba

Reactions: Snowman

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Paying for what Nylander could become would just be terrible cap management, and I’d say the same for any team in this situation. Sure he may be worth Drai money soon, but there’s no guarantee that he will be and no real argument to pay him that other than his potential, and that isn’t tangible in negotiations, especially when so much is riding on this one.
we paid above market for Rielly and Kadri to sign long term and both have become cap friendly deals , Zeitsev i believe will also outplay the long term deal he signed but didn't earn

tbh this impasse i believe has as much to do with Nylander believing he'll be traded as much as it has to do with money

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I think the worst thing the Leafs could do is undermine the trust of their players and attempt games like telling a player they are a core member, getting them to sign for a discount, then trading them. For at least a year, Nylander has been the convenient name in Leafs trade rumors. He's been the one out of the "big three" that the media and fans consider the most expendable.

I’ve always disliked when the media did this. I think the fans have always considered Matthews, Marner, and Nylander to be on the same level when it comes to leading this team into the future, but the media always threw his name out as trade bait, or failed to mention him in the same breath as Matthews or Marner when speaking about the Leafs. Management has always been sure to speak about all three on equal terms, the media hasn’t.

I don’t know if it’s rubbed off on Nylander in anyway, but I hope if the two sides are talking (which based on the bare bones rumours we’re getting, they aren’t) that the Leafs stress to Nylander that he’s still a key piece to this team, even if he’s only making $6-something million.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
If this was an option, he would be signed already.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If he signs for fair market, I think an overwhelming majority of rational Leaf fans can’t wait to get him back.

Caving to a ridiculous $8.5 million ask is about a 20 or 25% overpayment.
you actually think he's losing money because he's asking for 8.5m ? really ?

do you actually think him , his agent and his father are morons ?

it's easier to believe from the statements coming from our mgmt/coach about how they want everyone to take discounts that this impasse is based on Dubas low balling him and trying to establish a tough rep for himself

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
One of your fellow Wings fans was saying that Trouba's father is barred from Canada (no idea why) so that would explain why Trouba wants to be in the US, and for that I can't blame him.
I know Trouba is from Michigan, and it's a ways from home, but honestly I've never heard anything about his father being unable to set foot in Canada (actually I find that amusing - guy must really have issues, or is a f**k up for something like that to happen).

Still - Trouba needs to grow up...As a pro athlete you're already handsomely compensated, and being on the Jets is a blessing if you ask me...90% (maybe more) of the of players are playing for teams that they most likely didn't watch, or cared much about while growing up, but I'll tell ya what - whatever team drafted me (if I could be so lucky) - that team is my favorite team from that point on (unless the bastards trade me - lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->