Speculation: Nylander V - The Management Strikes Back (ALL Nylander Discussion HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
If he scores 80+ pts, then thats better or equal to these guys: Tavares (11 mil), Eichel (10 mil), Benn (9.5 mil), Ovechkin (9.5 mil). Lebrun said the cap could be 82 mil next season, which makes it 7 mil higher than when Eichel and Benn signed their contract.

Furthermore, every legit hockey source thinks Matthews will get 12+ mil. If its the case, I can't see Marner being at 9 mil or less when Matthews is at 12 mil.
I dont get this? Tavares,Kopitar were both Ufa contracts for point per game players which are 2 of the better all around centerman in the game. Matthews still has holes in his defensive game and corner battles and Marner got 69 points his second season which is nice but not extrodinary. Gudreau got 78 points and was playing center I believe his second season. so even with a cap increase how is Marner looking in the 9 mill range? It doesn't make sense. Nylander at 6.75(slightly overpaid) Marner 7.5 to 7.75 and Matthews at 10.5 is inline in my opinion, and thats if Matthews gets 85 points.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I personally like Ehlers more, but Nylander is not going to take a bargain contract just because Ehlers has a questionable agent who did his client a disservice.

They asked for a contract at Draisaitl Cap % knowing full well they will not get it.
More than likely, Gross wants Nylander to come in somewhere in between Pastrnak & Gaudreau's Cap % (likely settling closer to Pasta's Cap %)

fDgRK9e.png

Pasta's Cap % is fair for Nylander, but Toronto won't pay it.
They want him closer to 6.25 and in their minds they'll spin it as "be happy! that's 250k more than Ehlers!" when in reality it's less than what Ehlers would make today if he negotiated a contract at the same Cap % he did at the time
Pasta is a better player so no it wouldn’t be a good deal to give Nylander more than pasta. Not to mention that ehlers deal starts this year and covers 3 ufa years. In order to get 3 ufa years from Willy it needs to be a 8 year deal. Ehlers signed for 7 years at 6m STARTING THIS SEASON. Last years cap had no bearing on ehlers contract.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Don't think he'll sign for 10 million depending on the season he has, but I think Marner will outscore Tavares this season and then that makes for an interesting discussion in contract negotiations..

Double edged sword if one or both of Marner & AM out score JT.....while that would mean one high scoring year.....it would present a major contract problem for the Leafs.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Facts:

-Tavares got $11 million per
-Tavares never hit 40 goals
-Tavares got ZERO pts in 2014 Olympics
-Tavares got ONE goal at the Wcup
-Tavares got 70 and 66 pts before last yr

-Nylander is asking 3 million less and is only 22 years old

I'll just leave this here...
Fact
-John Tavares is among the top 10 centres in the league and has been since he got into the league

-William Nylander - an excellent but not exactly elite winger

so there's that

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Nylander at 6.75(slightly overpaid) Marner 7.5 to 7.75 and Matthews at 10.5 is inline in my opinion, and thats if Matthews gets 85 points.
I feel like that's what Shanahan & Dubas think, too. But, as they're finding out, it's not the reality

There is no chance Matthews will take 1 penny less than Tavares and he could realistically command 12+ if his camp really wanted to.
Absolute best case scenario is Shanahan sells Matthews on the idea that he & Tavares are of equal importance and it would be great for the team if he signs for 11 x 8. Kind of like how Toews & Kane signed for the same deals so nobody's professional ego gets hurt.

With Marner, it all depends on how big of a jump he takes this year. If he had to sign his contract today, I'd think 7.25-ish would be it. If Marner reaches PPG+ like we all think? He realistically could get Draisiatl money. From what the pundits are saying and how Marner doesn't even want to talk contract during the year, his camp wants to see what happens with Nylander & Matthews.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
IMO the only side not showing good faith in these negotiations are Shanahan & Dubas.
Yeah, those horrible bad guys offering fair contracts relative to comparables. :laugh:

Somebody from the Maple Leafs camp leaked out "Nylander wants Draisaitl money"
Not sure how you came to this conclusion.

Shanahan opens his mouth and talked about negotiations in public and blames the players to take less money so they can keep the group together.
He didn't blame anybody, and he didn't talk about the Nylander negotiation. He made a true statement that players are going to need to do what they do on every other good team. What Rielly, Kadri, and Tavares did. They need to buy in to the team and not be all about maximizing everything for themselves, because this team wants to and can win, and that's what it takes.

Part of that is taking a fair contract that is in the middle of your range of comparables, not looking for the absolute maximum you can squeeze, that is at your highest comparables or way beyond (in Nylander's case).

He has now poisoned the water, if you will, and some of the fan base now has turned on the player for being greedy.
Lol, there is no poisoned waters. Nobody has turned on Nylander. This has happened before, and it will happen again, and the player usually stays with the team (for a pretty good deal) and everything is fine.

Even the fact that they're calling it a hold out has negative implications to the player. He's not holding out cause the lad doesn't even have a signed contract to hold out from. He's not pulling a Yashin and not honoring his deal.
It's called a hold out because it's a hold out, and everybody is calling it a hold out, just as they have called it a hold-out in every other such hold-out before this. Just because you have some other weird definition for it doesn't mean you're right.

iirc details like that weren't leaked during the Gaudreau stalemate. Only years later after the fact has Burke said Gross came in at a ridiculous number, but they ended up getting a fair deal done.
That has been known for a long time, and there was definitely leaks during the Gaudreau and other hold outs.

It becomes a little more perosnal when you start talking to the media.
Leafs have actually been incredibly quiet about the Nylander contract, way more than other teams have been, and refuse to say much other than they aren't worried. Both Nylander and Gross have talked to media.

These aren't normal negotiations, either, because Toronto has very serious cap restraints on the horizon.
Not really, but thanks for your concern. You don't pay players more than they are worth just because there's cap space anyway, so it changed nothing.

I'm not implying that they should have not signed Tavares because you sign Tavares if you get the chance to sign him and you deal with it later. However, there are dominos that have to fall as a result. Nylander is a domino.
If this is what Nylander wants, it was going to be an issue regardless of Tavares.

Tavares only strengthened the Leaf's already incredibly strong position.

but he's not gonna do the team any huge favors.
Well, it's a good thing he doesn't have to then. He just needs to do himself a favour, negotiate properly, and sign for the fair amount being offered.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
And it doesn't stop the Leafs from taking care of their guys either. Are you really comparing their adjusted post-Dynasty UFA cap hits to a post-ELC RFA cap hit? :laugh:

Kane's cap-hit percentage was 11.09%, which would be 8.8m today.

Except Nylander, at the end of his ELC, has 58% of the total points Kane had. 63% of the goals. 69% of the peak points. 73% of peak goals. 1 less Calder. 1 less Stanley Cup. 2 less spectacular playoffs. Less consistency, while getting to play with a better player than Kane did.

I think this shows that 74% of the contract (6.5m) is more than fair, especially since Kane also lost money to the lockout due to lack of signing bonuses (which Nylander probably wouldn't).

Let's also not forget that Chicago could afford a lot more because of the cheating contracts they were able to give out to other players.
Quite reasonable.

But my post had nothing to do with what Nylander should get...

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
What's relevant, and hilariously ridiculous, is that guy trying to make the argument that Nylander, as a 60-point post-ELC RFA, should use a PPG+, multi-cup-winning, conn smythe-winning, calder-winning, line-driving, playoff performing player's 8-year UFA era-adjusted contract as a comparable.
:laugh:

I never did.

Simply read what is written.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Possibly untrue.

It depends on how much he will get over the next x number of years (x being the length of the contract) compared to what the Leafs were offering.
Leafs have no reason to change their plans and offers from where they would have been at the beginning of the season, had the agent actually negotiated properly. Even if his agent starts negotiating and they get to a better number, that could have happened last month, so still throwing money away for no reason.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Even if Nylander “only” earns $6 Million this year, that is still more than you and your significant other will make combined during your entire working years. This is the case against 99% of the population.

Dat concern for well being of players’ families LOL
In an era where salaries allow you to take care of your family, children and children's children +, why shouldn't be allowed to maximize his earnings ?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I feel like that's what Shanahan & Dubas think, too. But, as they're finding out, it's not the reality
Just because it's delayed, doesn't mean it's not reality.

There is no chance Matthews will take 1 penny less than Tavares and he could realistically command 12+ if his camp really wanted to.
There's actually a very good chance that he signs for less. Extremely unlikely he gets to 12+, and if he does, that means we will have the best player in the world, so I think we'll be okay.

From what the pundits are saying and how Marner doesn't even want to talk contract during the year, his camp wants to see what happens with Nylander & Matthews.
Actually, Leafs and Marner's agent already had extremely productive talks. He just wasn't going to sign before Nylander, and he doesn't want to sign mid-season.

It also makes sense for Marner to want to bet on himself this year. He has that right, and it doesn't mean his contract will be difficult.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
The biggest thing for Nylander missing the deadline by december 1st would be this: he'd almost certainly be done in Toronto, + his UFA clock gets pushed back a year which is massive for him. Worst case for him would be to do a 2-3 year bridge where he gets to arb either 1 or 2 years prior to being UFA eligible.
The quoted is false.

He will be an UFA in July 2023 even if he misses 1, 2, 3...+ seasons

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
But my post had nothing to do with what Nylander should get...
Somebody claimed that Chicago paid their RFAs before signing big UFAs, and thus signing Tavares was bad.
Another poster corrected this and commented that Hossa was signed before locking up their RFAs.
You came in and claimed that Chicago did that because they had the space to sign their RFAs (implying Leafs do not), and referenced what their contract would be worth today, clearly implying relevance to Nylander and what you think he should/will be paid.

Only problem is that you used the current value of the contract they signed 6 years after Hossa, in their UFA years, after multiple cups.

What you did accomplish, was providing another post-ELC example proving that Nylander should be paid in the low 6s.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
False, unless I'm mistaken.
It's unclear at this point, and nobody anywhere seems to have a straight answer about it. Regardless, I don't think sitting 5 years is in Nylander's game plan, and I highly doubt that not playing in the NHL for years would be beneficial to his earning potential, so it's irrelevant. Leafs aren't going to offer him anything different next year, so he'd just be giving up an extra UFA year for the same money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad