Speculation: Nylander V - The Management Strikes Back (ALL Nylander Discussion HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Has he signed yet? Or we still discuss what type of D-man he is worth? =)

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Facts:

-Tavares got $11 million per
-Tavares never hit 40 goals
-Tavares got ZERO pts in 2014 Olympics
-Tavares got ONE goal at the Wcup
-Tavares got 70 and 66 pts before last yr

-Nylander is asking 3 million less and is only 22 years old

I'll just leave this here...
You remember that Tavares got injured against Latvia in the Quarter-Final, suffered a torn ACL and missed the remainder of the tournament. So that's part of the reason he didn't get any points for Canada.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Facts:

-Tavares got $11 million per
-Tavares never hit 40 goals
-Tavares got ZERO pts in 2014 Olympics
-Tavares got ONE goal at the Wcup
-Tavares got 70 and 66 pts before last yr

-Nylander is asking 3 million less and is only 22 years old

I'll just leave this here...

Cherry picking stats at it’s finest...how about we mention Taveras nearly being a PPG player in the playoffs or going over 80 points three points in a dead puck era.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
How Toronto chooses to deploy him after he wins draws is their business.
Nylander has played C, can be a C and will be a C on the team that acquires him.
He can be a C....He has not been a centre. Winning faceoffs doesn't mean he was playing the position lol. "Nylander is a centre" well no he actually plays on the wing. "Well yeah how Toronto deploys him is their business he is still a centre." Some truly sound logic.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
-takes 750 faceoffs last year @ 51% and 50 faceoffs in the playoffs @ 60%
-is not a C. he's a winger.

pick one
First off, he took 650 faceoffs, not 750. Please double-check things..

He took some faceoffs last year because Matthews was injured, and he was worse than on the wing. That is not an argument for him being a center.

He was 8th in face-offs taken on the team the year before with 122 at 40%. Not that taking face-offs means anything anyway, especially with a coach who likes wingers who can take face-offs on their strong side. He is not a center.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
He can be a C....He has not been a centre. Winning faceoffs doesn't mean he was playing the position lol. "Nylander is a centre" well no he actually plays on the wing. "Well yeah how Toronto deploys him is their business he is still a centre." Some truly sound logic.
Like I wrote: these are similar mental gymnastics people did when Draisaitl signed. "he's not a C he's winger. can't play C. nope. not a C."

I'm extremely confident that whichever team acquires Nylander will use him as a C and he will excel.
There are a lot of teams out there that would love to have your 61 point winger only who's all of the sudden not very good and totally not worth 7,000,000

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
You remember that Tavares got injured against Latvia in the Quarter-Final, suffered a torn ACL and missed the remainder of the tournament. So that's part of the reason he didn't get any points for Canada.

4 games 0 pts... he wasn't injured the first game

I'm a life long leafs fan, i'm just being objective...

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Like I wrote: these are similar mental gymnastics people did when Draisaitl signed. "he's not a C he's winger. can't play C. nope. not a C."
Draisaitl had 2.2 times the number of face-offs that Nylander did at time of signing (approx. 1,300 face-offs more). Draisaitl placed 2nd on his team in face-offs taken during the last 2 years before his signing, and was 1st by a substantial amount this most recent year, with more than McDavid every time.

Draisaitl also did a lot more of this thing called actually playing center. Draisaitl was a center, he was signed to be a center, and he is a center now.

I'm extremely confident that whichever team acquires Nylander will use him as a C and he will excel.
If they wanted to lower the value of their asset maybe, but Toronto owns the rights to him, they will likely keep him, and he will be playing RW here, in a highly advantageous situation for him.

There are a lot of teams out there that would love to have your 61 point winger only who's all of the sudden not very good and totally not worth 7,000,000
Are there teams out there who would sign Nylander for 7,000,000 on the open market? Of course, free asset.
Are there teams, with full leverage and control, who would be willing to give Nylander 7,000,000 as a 22-year old RFA? Maybe some non-competitive team would, that Nylander probably doesn't want to be on, and that Nylander isn't on.
Are there teams out there willing to pay the assets required to get him, and then pay him that amount? Highly unlikely.
Do the Leafs have to pay that or trade him if they don't want to? Nope.

Also, that number requires Nylander to come down at least a million from where he is at. Maybe if he was actually negotiating in good faith, we'd be somewhere.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Yeah I figured the next step of this was you putting words and statements into my mouth that I never said. Carry on with whatever it is your trying to prove I guess lol

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007

Your logic is flawed.

He plays wing now. It's extremely unlikely he will ever play center on a team with Tavares, Matthews, and Kadri, unless you think he'll center the Leafs 4th line. It matters not how many faceoffs he takes, nor where an imaginary future team would play him.

He's a winger, and his comparables for contract negotiations are wingers of roughly equivalent age, skill, and performance.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
They're counting on players taking fair deals. Every comparable out there points to Nylander being worth about 6.5 per, and he wants 8-8.5. That's absurd.
This is my point ,if he went to arbitration (as much as I like Nylander) it would show hes in line with Ehlers and not Pastrnak so 6.5 is more then fair for 6 years. I think these agents just want to prove there worth something.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
They're not Leafs.

Ya exactly. I can understand us having 200+ pages on our own board, but another 200+ on the mainboard seems extreme. Other fans seem to really enjoy telling us how screwed we are, even though it really isn't the reality.

I find it especially strange seeing teams like Van in here instigating considering this negotiation could hugely impact their own.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
What comparable is there for Marner making 10 million regardless of the season he has

If he scores 80+ pts, then thats better or equal to these guys: Tavares (11 mil), Eichel (10 mil), Benn (9.5 mil), Ovechkin (9.5 mil). Lebrun said the cap could be 82 mil next season, which makes it 7 mil higher than when Eichel and Benn signed their contract.

Furthermore, every legit hockey source thinks Matthews will get 12+ mil. If its the case, I can't see Marner being at 9 mil or less when Matthews is at 12 mil.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If he scores 80+ pts, then thats better or equal to these guys: Tavares (11 mil), Eichel (10 mil), Benn (9.5 mil), Ovechkin (9.5 mil). Lebrun said the cap could be 82 mil next season, which makes it 7 mil higher than when Eichel and Benn signed their contract.
Tavares: UFA, open market, center, multiple PPG seasons, multiple high-end playoffs
Eichel: Center, face of (desperate) franchise, massive overpayment
Benn: UFA, multiple PPG+ seasons, multiple high-end playoffs
Ovechkin: Hahahahahahaha, what??? I'm not even going to start on this one.

Eichel contract kicks in this year. Benn contract kicked in last year.

These are horrible comparables.

Furthermore, every legit hockey source thinks Matthews will get 12+ mil.
Not true, and highly highly unlikely. He'd have to take an absolutely MASSIVE step forward, becoming the best player in the league. The Leafs are highly aware of how each of these negotiations affect the other ones.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Also, that number requires Nylander to come down at least a million from where he is at. Maybe if he was actually negotiating in good faith, we'd be somewhere.
IMO the only side not showing good faith in these negotiations are Shanahan & Dubas.

Somebody from the Maple Leafs camp leaked out "Nylander wants Draisaitl money" and then Shanahan opens his mouth and talked about negotiations in public and blames the players to take less money so they can keep the group together. Was arguably the dumbest thing he could've done if his end game is for them to retain Nylander.
He has now poisoned the water, if you will, and some of the fan base now has turned on the player for being greedy.
The longer this goes on, the worse it will be.

Even the fact that they're calling it a hold out has negative innuendo to the player. He's not holding out cause the lad doesn't even have a signed contract to hold out from. He's not pulling a Yashin and not honoring his deal.

iirc details like that weren't leaked during the Gaudreau stalemate. Only years later after the fact has Burke said Gross came in at a ridiculous number, but they ended up getting a fair deal done.

Gross probably came in looking for 8 to 8.5 knowing full well he wasn't gonna get it. Likewise, Toronto probably came in looking for 5.5 to 6 knowing full well they weren't going to get it. It's just a part of negotiations it's nothing personal. It becomes a little more perosnal when you start talking to the media.

These aren't normal negotiations, either, because Toronto has very serious cap restraints on the horizon. I'm not implying that they should have not signed Tavares because you sign Tavares if you get the chance to sign him and you deal with it later. However, there are dominos that have to fall as a result. Nylander is a domino.

If the player doesn't buy into the cult of personality talk of "hey. you need to take less money so we can share the wealth and win." then the team is in trouble.
As of right now, Nylander isn't buying into that rhetoric and I just don't think he will. He'll come down in his ask and I believe 7,000,000 gets it done today, but he's not gonna do the team any huge favors just because they may or may not win

Reactions: Big Ben Healy

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
What comparable is there for Marner making 10 million regardless of the season he has

Don't think he'll sign for 10 million depending on the season he has, but I think Marner will outscore Tavares this season and then that makes for an interesting discussion in contract negotiations..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland