Speculation: Nylander V - The Management Strikes Back (ALL Nylander Discussion HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
You're right.

Nylander was 22 at the end of the 17-18 season and had 2 accrued seasons in the NHL. You are eligible for UFA if you accrue 7 seasons or are 27 years old at the end of the season (June 30).

Yeah, galchenyuk signed a 3 year deal with montreal in 2017, only ate up 1 year of ufa eligibility. Would be exactly the same here

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Leafs have no reason to change their plans and offers from where they would have been at the beginning of the season, had the agent actually negotiated properly. Even if his agent starts negotiating and they get to a better number, that could have happened last month, so still throwing money away for no reason.
:huh:

If he gets, let's say, $100K more per season over 6 years, that's $600K.

Has he lost that much yet ?

Now imagine $200K, $300K or, God forbid, $500K...

Add to this the possibility that he gets the minimum salary for this season and the rest in a signing bonus, thus minimizing the amount lost for the x games he would have missed.

"Throwing away money for no reason" ?

I kindly suggest you get a good financial counselor.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
It's unclear at this point, and nobody anywhere seems to have a straight answer about it. Regardless, I don't think sitting 5 years is in Nylander's game plan, and I highly doubt that not playing in the NHL for years would be beneficial to his earning potential, so it's irrelevant. Leafs aren't going to offer him anything different next year, so he'd just be giving up an extra UFA year for the same money.

How does that address the point I was addressing ?

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
You came in and claimed that Chicago did that because they had the space to sign their RFAs (implying Leafs do not), and referenced what their contract would be worth today, clearly implying relevance to Nylander and what you think he should/will be paid.
:laugh:

In your dreams, perhaps ?

Thanks for telling me what I meant. :badidea:

Simply reading what is written is a great policy...

stymie

Oct 15, 2014
Too bad this new found determination from Willy didn't arrive in April.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018

If he gets, let's say, $100K more per season over 6 years, that's $600K.

Has he lost that much yet ?

Now imagine $200K, $300K or, God forbid, $500K...

Add to this the possibility that he gets the minimum salary for this season and the rest in a signing bonus, thus minimizing the amount lost for the x games he would have missed.

"Throwing away money for no reason" ?

I kindly suggest you get a good financial counselor.
Did you actually bother to read what I wrote?

Regardless of what he gets, it could have been done before the season if his agent was willing to negotiate. Leafs plans and numbers aren't changing because of his holdout, and they have no reason to going forward.

Signing bonus could minimize that loss, but it's still an unnecessary loss, and yet another thing he will have to negotiate and make sacrifices for.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
:laugh:

In your dreams, perhaps ?

Thanks for telling me what I meant. :badidea:

Simply reading what is written is a great policy...
I did read what was written, and the path that the conversation took, and it was entirely obvious what you were doing. Why don't you tell us all what you meant, if I'm so wrong.

Your back-pedaling is funny, but ineffective.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Did you actually bother to read what I wrote?

Regardless of what he gets, it could have been done before the season if his agent was willing to negotiate. Leafs plans and numbers aren't changing because of his holdout, and they have no reason to going forward.

Signing bonus could minimize that loss, but it's still an unnecessary loss, and yet another thing he will have to negotiate and make sacrifices for.
Did you actually bother to read what I wrote? (ditto)

You're assuming that it's impossible for him to get even as little as $100K more per season than what the Leafs were offering...

In your dreams.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I did read what was written, and the path that the conversation took, and it was entirely obvious what you were doing. Why don't you tell us all what you meant, if I'm so wrong.

Your back-pedaling is funny, but ineffective.
You're really hard-headed, aren't you ?

Don't assume, just respond to what was written.

I'm not shy.

If I meant something else, that's what I would have written.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Did you actually bother to read what I wrote? (ditto)

You're assuming that it's impossible for him to get even as little as $100K more per season than what the Leafs were offering...

In your dreams.
No, I'm not. I'm saying that Leafs had numbers and plans in mind before the season, and those numbers and plans haven't changed and won't change, regardless of how long Nylander sits. Whatever Nylander gets, however more it was than the initial offer, he could have gotten it all had his agent just negotiated before the season started.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You're really hard-headed, aren't you ?

Don't assume, just respond to what was written.

I'm not shy.

If I meant something else, that's what I would have written.
Again, I am going by what you wrote. I'm still waiting for you to explain what you did mean by that comment, if not the obvious.

I know you're flustered, but no need for insults.

Last edited:

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Stop dragging your feet Shanny and trade Nylander for a defender. (We know Who the real gm is)

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Don't know if this is old news or just bull-shit news but I was talking to my cousin who is a Leaves fan yesterday and he told me that Nylander Sr. was constantly a hold out and that Jr. is now using them same agent as Dad did.

Any truth here?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Don't know if this is old news or just bull-**** news but I was talking to my cousin who is a Leaves fan yesterday and he told me that Nylander Sr. was constantly a hold out and that Jr. is now using them same agent as Dad did.

Any truth here?
They don't use the same agent, but Nylander's agent is one of the worst in the league, and usually hurts both the team and the player he represents. Nylander Sr. was notoriously difficult with his contracts, and likes to be highly involved in the lives of his kids.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
No, I'm not. I'm saying that Leafs had numbers and plans in mind before the season, and those numbers and plans haven't changed and won't change, regardless of how long Nylander sits. Whatever Nylander gets, however more it was than the initial offer, he could have gotten it all had his agent just negotiated before the season started.
And what little bird told you his agent did not negotiate ?

Again, you're assuming and/or taking your dreams/illusions for reality.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Again, I am going by what you wrote. I'm still waiting for you to explain what you did mean by that comment, if not the obvious.

I know you're flustered, but no need for insults.

Again and again, in your dreams.

You're really funny.

As to what I meant, it's clear in what I wrote, keeping in mind the post I responded to.

Really, really funny.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
And what little bird told you his agent did not negotiate ?
They still have not started negotiating. All reports have them at their initial ask still, 2 million above his comparables.

Comments by Gross and Nylander have only supported that this is the case.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Again and again, in your dreams.

You're really funny.

As to what I meant, it's clear in what I wrote, keeping in mind the post I responded to.

Really, really funny.
Still have no answer I see.

You'd think that if you were going to try and deny something obvious, you'd have some story ready to go.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
They don't use the same agent, but Nylander's agent is one of the worst in the league, and usually hurts both the team and the player he represents. Nylander Sr. was notoriously difficult with his contracts, and likes to be highly involved in the lives of his kids.

William Ny-Lindros-er?

A much less know story... Cody Hodgson's Dad practically ran his Son out of Vancouver himself by constantly beating down Gillis's door bitching about his ice time and deployment ect... Gillis said he spent more time on Hodgson's personal problems that the rest of the team combined.

What an opportunity for Nylander to play on a top contender for years. I'd so pissed at him as a Leafs fan but I kind of also feel sorry for him..... He's still just a kid seemingly getting (forced) advise from greedy old men.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You surely meant that neither party has moved from their initial ask/offer.
Maybe. Not sure how one would negotiate with somebody unwilling to negotiate, but all reports have Leafs at a reasonable offer based on his comparables anyway. Only one side is way off with their valuation.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Matthews and Marner will be able to use Taveras as a comparable this summer as we know his performance level is worth 11 million for the Leafs. Ehlers followed the lead of Schiefle taking just 6 million in salary which is similar to Schiefle's 6.1 million. Cost of living in Toronto is much higher in Toronto than Winnipeg so all salaries are higher for the same work. Nylander is being forced to shoot for 8.5 million so he won't be forced to live in Matthews basement for the next 8 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad