• HOLY MAKINAW! 56+ points!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It might be if he's on the 2nd PP unit, that certainly won't help his offensive production

It won’t.

But his pp production was (relatively speaking) poor last season too, so he could still potentially see improvement here even if on the 2nd unit.

Reactions: nuck

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It won’t.

But his pp production was (relatively speaking) poor last season too, so he could still potentially see improvement here even if on the 2nd unit.

I don't know man, that unit isn't good, Nylander running it will help but if your not racking up PP points it's very difficult to go close to a PPG

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't know man, that unit isn't good, Nylander running it will help but if your not racking up PP points it's very difficult to go close to a PPG

That’s true. Though with a normalized pp production last season he would have hit closer to 70 then. Factor he’s turned 22 (an age when forwards often start to put up bigger numbers) I just don’t think at the low end 45 points (70 point pace) should be within reach and maybe a bit more of that pp unit gets clicking

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Hopefully 40-50 points. He should start rounding into form at the halfway mark of the season.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I think one variable is which PP unit he'll be on and who the other players are on that unit.

I think he'll get 50-60 points, 15-20 goals. But we'll see -- I wouldn't be surprised if he's not up to speed for 2 weeks.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That’s true. Though with a normalized pp production last season he would have hit closer to 70 then. Factor he’s turned 22 (an age when forwards often start to put up bigger numbers) I just don’t think at the low end 45 points (70 point pace) should be within reach and maybe a bit more of that pp unit gets clicking

Average to poor PP unit, joining the team mid season, hasn't even had a team practice, probably hasn't had much contact during his holdout

If he gets 45 points during the regular season and helps Matthews drive that line I'd call it a win honestly

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
After scoring 20 goals/60 points during his rookie year, I had huge hopes.

But then he followed that up with... uh... 20 goals/60 points.

I personally think he's overrated, and cashed in on playing his first 2 seasons on Matthews wing (look what happened to Kapanen the very second he was put on Matthews wing, compared to before).

So I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

But whatever 20 goals/60 points over 82 works out to over 54 games... that's what I think he'll get.

Prove me wrong Willie.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
He'd better get 1.0 PPG for what he's earning. Anything less will be unacceptable.

Reactions: Al14

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
He'd better get 1.0 PPG for what he's earning. Anything less will be unacceptable.
Do you believe in witchcraft? Were magic spells literally cast on him?

I don't know why else you'd think a guy that went 0.70 ppg for 2 years in a row to magically be better now that we're giving him more money.

Reactions: PaulD

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017

I don't know why else you'd think a guy that went 0.70 ppg for 2 years in a row to magically be better now that we're giving him more money.

Listen Einstein, young players, especially a #8 overall player, are expected to develop and get better. If his ceiling is 60 points ------he's a huge BUST at 7.5m a year. He's playing on the first line with one of the best centers in the world. Expectations should be high.

It boggles my mind that you think a player isn't expected to top his rookie and sophomore seasons as he grows older.

Reactions: Leaf Lander

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Listen Einstein, young players, especially a #8 overall player, are expected to develop and get better. If his ceiling is 60 points ------he's a huge BUST at 7.5m a year. He's playing on the first line with one of the best centers in the world. Expectations should be high.

It boggles my mind that you think a player isn't expected to top his rookie and sophomore seasons as he grows older.
Imagine we were discussing Nylander after his rookie year. Imagine I suggested he’d score 20 goals/60 points again.
Imagine you sarcastically called me “Einstein” and said “you don’t expect him to top his rookie year”?

Imagine how that would have worked out for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heath

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

didn't you embarrass yourself enough in the 40 Nylander negotiating threads, some people just don't learn?

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
didn't you embarrass yourself enough in the 40 Nylander negotiating threads, some people just don't learn?
Embarrass myself how?

I think proven 20 goal/60 point players should be paid like 20 goal/60 point players. You know... like every other team does.

Which is to give no disrespect to 20 goal/60 point players. Those are impressive numbers. But to pay them like other teams pay their proven 34 goal/70 point players under the argument of “they might get better” is pretty stupid.

Nothing would make me happier than to be proven wrong. But I think this fan base dramatically over rates this player. And Gross played Dubas for a fool.

Reactions: TML11 and Al14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad