Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Freddy is but he’s had to be Price stellar.
People say he had a bad October but it really was one Tampa blowout. He wasn’t that bad. Just not the level of excellence that fans require to make up the shortcomings. Like how the Habs were when Price was God mode a few years. Then he became good, not God mode and things were exposed.

Andersen hides a lot.
Andersen is a top-10 goalie in the NHL, no doubt. But even with a league average back-up Toronto is going 2-2-1 rather than 0-4-1.

With Toronto at 11-4-4 we aren't having this conversation and instead are probably talking about how the Leafs have managed fairly well so far despite being hobbled by injuries to star players.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
But yet the team is suffering.
Not because of them, but because the money is squished into just a few. That leaves obstacles unable to overcome.
It's Nylander's fault that 3 guys are at $11 million?

Wrong thread for that comment.

Reactions: stickty111

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
With the way he is playing right now, I doubt this ages well for you.

Feel free to bump it and rip me if he does. He is going to disappear for a bit like always. Although, there always is a chance for Nylander to put up meaningless points, when the game is out of reach. He is great at padding his stats that way, too.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
If Nylander keep up a 30-35 pace (or even exceeds that), I don't think the contract will be an issue. Well, it will always be an issue on these boards, but in the world of real GMs where it counts, I think his contract would look just fine, especially with what we've seen signed this past offseason.

I'm not saying trade him, I'm just saying in the case where he needs to be traded, he can be with no issues if that pace keeps up. If he's on a 65 point pace, I'd expect it to be more 25-40, but either way, that wouldn't change much.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Feel free to bump it and rip me if he does. He is going to disappear for a bit like always. Although, there always is a chance for Nylander to put up meaningless points, when the game is out of reach. He is great at padding his stats that way, too.

He has yet to disappear for any stretch this season, so you're probably on the wrong end of this one.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Weird how this thread is so active. Nylander seems to be playing fine currently: 7 goals, 15 points (in 19 games) and 3+2 in his last five.

Also looks fine on the eye-test the last few games; him an Matthews look like the most dangerous duo on the team rn.
it's so active because the Nylanderites are saying Nylander hasn't played a bad game yet this year which is impossible for the rest of the posters in here to not refute, then the "he said she said" debate ramps up.

Fact: Nylander has had bad games this year, but he's also played two great games in a row, lets hope he continues to impress, and if he does have a bad game, admit it and move on.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Andersen is a top-10 goalie in the NHL, no doubt. But even with a league average back-up Toronto is going 2-2-1 rather than 0-4-1.

With Toronto at 11-4-4 we aren't having this conversation and instead are probably talking about how the Leafs have managed fairly well so far despite being hobbled by injuries to star players.

Um yeah, I don't know about that, with Hutch in net, we've been garbage.

And that goes for the CHI game as well, Hutch spazzed on the 1st one but the rest of the guys didn't show up at all until we were already screwed. If not for some grade A saves, we're down 7-1 after the first period, not 4-1.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
it's so active because the Nylanderites are saying Nylander hasn't played a bad game yet this year which is impossible for the rest of the posters in here to not refute, then the "he said she said" debate ramps up.

Fact: Nylander has had bad games this year, but he's also played two great games in a row, lets hope he continues to impress, and if he does have a bad game, admit it and move on.
Every player has bad games... just like every player has good games. That is why only fools judge players by just a single or even a few games rather then a body of work. As a whole, thus far Nylander has met reasonable expectations for the season. Any Leafs fan should hope that he continues to do so.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Every player has bad games... just like every player has good games. That is why only fools judge players by just a single or even a few games rather then a body of work. As a whole, thus far Nylander has met reasonable expectations for the season. Any Leafs fan should hope that he continues to do so.
what's your point, when players have bad games they get called out, when they have good games they get praised.

Here's a foolish question for you, has Nylander been a $7 mil a year player since he signed that contract?

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
what's your point, when players have bad games they get called out, when they have good games they get praised.

Here's a foolish question for you, has Nylander been a $7 mil a year player since he signed that contract?
Last year, no. Obviously not. He missed half the season and was totally out of synch when he ca ne back.

This year, in this admittedly still small sample size, yes.

Looking at the contracts that have gotten tossed around recently $7 million really doesn’t go all that far anymore. Sucks that Dubas couldn’t get any sort of home-town discount on him, but it is hard to argue Nylander wouldn’t be able to get something similar on the open market. For a 23 year old 20+ goal, 60+ point winger who can play occasional shifts at centre, yeah he is going to get that sort of contract on the open market.

Last edited:
Reactions: stickty111

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If Nylander keep up a 30-35 pace (or even exceeds that), I don't think the contract will be an issue. Well, it will always be an issue on these boards, but in the world of real GMs where it counts, I think his contract would look just fine, especially with what we've seen signed this past offseason.

I'm not saying trade him, I'm just saying in the case where he needs to be traded, he can be with no issues if that pace keeps up. If he's on a 65 point pace, I'd expect it to be more 25-40, but either way, that wouldn't change much.
I for one don't have any issue with his contract. It's his play at times that I don't like.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Nylander has all the skills needed to be a decent player, possible 30 goal man or more. The problem is the supporting cast. He does not want to get his jersey dirty and turns away from a hit or physical contact. This is not necessarily a bad thing if you have the bumpers and grinders that will help him out. The team looks stellar on paper but the reality is it is not a team but rather a bunch of highly talented players without the cohesiveness and diversity that makes a winning team. Compound that with the fact the coach appears to not want the players to be the free-wheeling, high scoring team that seems to best suit their style. In a different/better circumstance Nylander would be fine, maybe a huge star. Given the current team makeup and coaching practices, it seems he and the team are destined for mediocrity.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
thats not a fact, cmon man you ruin any good points you make about nylander when you post crap like this.
Your right, but it's annoying how we see silly name calling for Nylander. If I did to the Marner thread, that poster would get really upset.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
i get it but its better to just keep posting facts and evidence than take shots at a different player.
Good point. I got carried away. I should realize some posters will always be biased againat a player, and will attack their fans.
Seriously Nylanderitis? Really? As much as I criticize Mitch, I don't call him nicknames or go after his fans. It shows which guys are the reasonable ones.
I critique the player, thats all.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Good point. I got carried away. I should realize some posters will always be biased againat a player, and will attack their fans.
Seriously Nylanderitis? Really? As much as I criticize Mitch, I don't call him nicknames or go after his fans. It shows which guys are the reasonable ones.
I critique the player, thats all.
Paul has a vested interest in shitting all over the Nylander thread proclaiming his son being perceived as better. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad