Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Good thing there's a couple of guys willing to engage to make it a 4-man board battle. Without them, there's no easy outlet for Nylander to scoop up.
That's typically why you see guys with no skill like Hyman there. Why would you want Kane/Kucherov/ McDavid, etc in the board battle when they're the best ones at skating the puck out of the zone. It's almost like Nylander is doing that because he knows he's the best at carrying the puck on that line or whatever line he is on.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
That's typically why you see guys with no skill like Hyman there. Why would you want Kane/Kucherov/ McDavid, etc in the board battle when they're the best ones at skating the puck out of the zone. It's almost like Nylander is doing that because he knows he's the best at carrying the puck on that line or whatever line he is on.

I would hope Nylander isn't on the same side of the ice in the D zone as Hyman, or else thats another problem altogether.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Not even just carrying it out, what's the point of Hyman fighting for the puck if he doesn't have a good outlet once he wins it? Too many times I've seen him and a few other guys on the team bulldog the puck on the boards for ages, only to finally get it out and turn it over or ice it because they have nowhere to go with it. Of course, failing to clear the puck makes them look better for Babcock and the rest of their fans because they get to go bulldog the puck again and look like they're hustling even though it's their fault the puck is still in our zone to start with.

Reactions: stopclickbait

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

It's either that or he really doesn't like getting into "lunch bucket" activities like board battles in case he gets hurt. Too close to call really.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
It's either that or he really doesn't like getting into "lunch bucket" activities like board battles in case he gets hurt. Too close to call really.

Hey, if that's what the Kanes/Gaudreaus of the world do to succeed, then why can't Nylander as well?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's insane to me. People will watch Hyman chase the puck in his own zone, fight for it, and fail to clear it. They'll call that great defensive hustle. Then they'll watch Nylander wait 2 feet away from a 4-man board battle as the easy outlet pass, take it, and skate the puck in for a scoring chance. They'll call him lazy and bad defensively.

This circles back to the inherent flaw in claiming the eye test as the most objective means of measuring a players worth beacuse when someone already dislikes a player, everything they see goes through that lens. A great example were people literally blaming Nylander for a goal last game that he had nothing to do with.

Playing style plays way too big of an influence in shaping peoples views - a guy who plays like a waterbug and is always bouncing around the ice gets a free pass from dumb decisions and errors beacuse theyre seen to "play the right way", while a guy with a calmer playing style who focuses more on making the smart play than just reacting gets calld out for being "soft" or "lazy".

Its one thing on these boards, but where its get really tireaome is the majoroty of thr mainstream hockey media who keep parroting out the same.stuff over snd over regatfless of what happens on the ice. A guy like Dreger for example has been beating the "trade Nylander" drum since his rookie season. So its absolutely nonsense to suggest the Leafs main guys are treated equally

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Objectively Nylander has been our most consistent and dangerous forward all year.

Yep.

The driving line this season has been him and Matthews and by a far margin.

Its strange to see "consistency" try and be used a criticism. When thats probably that tandems greatest strength- want the Leafs to dominate in 5v5 situations? Get him and Matthews out there as much as possible

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
So he stands there and watches or bails to save himself for the important stuff? When he pulls that crap, it is inexcusable. When he doesnt, he plays the game that should be played.

Reactions: therealkoho

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Hey, if that's what the Kanes/Gaudreaus of the world do to succeed, then why can't Nylander as well?

I'll anxiously await the season that Nylander puts up PPG+ numbers like the Kanes/Gaudreaus of the world. Feel free to PM me your "I told you so" when it happens.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I'll anxiously await the season that Nylander puts up PPG+ numbers like the Kanes/Gaudreaus of the world. Feel free to PM me your "I told you so" when it happens.

What on earth does that have to do with anything I said?

Back on the topic, so you're telling me that when Kane/Gaudreau/McDavid/etc support the board-battle as the open man, it's fine. But when Nylander does it, it's terrible? Pick one.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
This circles back to the inherent flaw in claiming the eye test as the most objective means of measuring a players worth beacuse when someone already dislikes a player, everything they see goes through that lens. A great example were people literally blaming Nylander for a goal last game that he had nothing to do with.

Playing style plays way too big of an influence in shaping peoples views - a guy who plays like a waterbug and is always bouncing around the ice gets a free pass from dumb decisions and errors beacuse theyre seen to "play the right way", while a guy with a calmer playing style who focuses more on making the smart play than just reacting gets calld out for being "soft" or "lazy".

Its one thing on these boards, but where its get really tireaome is the majoroty of thr mainstream hockey media who keep parroting out the same.stuff over snd over regatfless of what happens on the ice. A guy like Dreger for example has been beeting the "trade Nylander" drum since his rookie season. So its absolutely nonsense to suggest the Leafs main guys are treated equally
You are correct. I have my preferences in what style of player I like...power forwards. preference of one player,doesn't mean hatred of another. That said ,I can appreciate the talent/skill a player brings that isn't as physical,like Willy. I liked Wendel ,but would never criticize a Sakic or a Modano ,etc. They all just want to contribute in their own way. I can however crticize the media...especially wishy-washy clowns like Dreger...don't listen to him!

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
So he can't do this style of play unless he gets over a point per game?

Even when that's what he has been told to do?

If he's going to succeed like Kane/Gaudreau.......pretty much. ;)

But I suppose if he's been told not to engage in board battles then so be it. So does that mean Babcock is utilizing Nylander properly? :sarcasm:

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
It's just funny that after all of the BS with him holding out he has by far the best contract out of Marner & Matthews***.

I still can't believe Marner got 1.7M more a year than Rantanen. AND Rantanen got ZERO signing bonuses.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It's just funny that after all of the BS with him holding out he has by far the best contract out of Marner & Tavares.

I still can't believe Marner got 1.7M more a year than Rantanen. AND Rantanen got ZERO signing bonuses.
What Dubas thought he was building:
upload_2019-11-12_21-55-12.jpeg

What he might actually end up doing:
upload_2019-11-12_21-55-52.gif

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
If he's going to succeed like Kane/Gaudreau.......pretty much. ;)

But I suppose if he's been told not to engage in board battles then so be it. So does that mean Babcock is utilizing Nylander properly? :sarcasm:
Who says that he doesn't engage in board battles?

He's one of the best on the team at stripping guys of the puck and either moving it to somebody or keeping it himself.

I feel like just because he doesn't run guys over makes people assume he doesn't fight for the puck.

If you actually watch him in along the boards he's great at pushing guys off and fighting for possession, especially in the offensive zone when he's behind the net looking to set somebody up.

Reactions: WillNy29

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Who says that he doesn't engage in board battles?

He's one of the best on the team at stripping guys of the puck and either moving it to somebody or keeping it himself.

I feel like just because he doesn't run guys over makes people assume he doesn't fight for the puck.

If you actually watch him in along the boards he's great at pushing guys off and fighting for possession, especially in the offensive zone when he's behind the net looking to set somebody up.
For reference he’s tied for 5th on the team in takeaways with 10 in 19 games.

Reactions: WillNy29

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
You really don't see it?

You really don't see your post doesn't make sense lol? Just look at the thread below that you responded to. The Kanes/Gaudreaus/McDavids of the world include other players that do the same thing. I.e Ehlers, Johansen, etc.

If you choose to ignore those players (I.e from the Kanes/Gaudreaus to the Ehlers/Johansens, etc) doing it, yet then complain while Nylander does it ... seems like a you issue? :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->