Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
So we’re going to get excited now over a minute? With a deep team like the Leafs? Think it through, you give Auston 20, then give JT 19-20, you still have to role three lines so you’re getting 14-15 there and that leaves a measly 5-6 for fourth. What’s the quibble there, don’t get it?

Agreed.

I just don't understand the confusion people have thinking playing our stars one minute more than they usually do, is going to cause an injury. When we need to score desperately, play them more. When we don't need to score desperately, play them less.

Thought Babcock did it perfectly yesterday.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
Starting to like Nylander's game much better. A switch must have gone off in his head because I see him in the dirty areas more frequently and it has been paying off. Probably starting to like the taste of goals and assists. Keep it up and you will win over the neigh sayers.
I haven't seen the last few games, but during Nylanders slump I noticed that his line had some trouble keeping the puck in the offensive zone for any extended period of time, that is often due to not winning enough battles and having efficient forecheck. If Nylander and Matthews get the space to do their thing they will score their point, but far from every game will look like that of course. Would people who have seen the last few games say that this is an element that the Matthews/Nylander line has improved on lately? Has Nylander looked better in that regard?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think the preference for everybody is that he gets treated just like everybody else. That's far from the case.
Seems to me like he is for the most part.
You'll always have some extreme opinions but that goes for pretty much every player/management with the team.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think the preference for everybody is that he gets treated just like everybody else. That's far from the case.
every player on this team gets called out when they play poorly, if you read the live game day threads you'd know this.

To my knowledge there is only 1 player on the Leafs that is apparently above criticism and that's Nylander, the incessant defending of said player by his cult of fanboys is the real problem, and the more whining about Willy being treated unfairly will only lead to more criticism of his game when he doesn't play well.

Reactions: Polaris1010

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
You'll always have some extreme opinions but that goes for pretty much every player/management with the team.
I don't think a discussion on the topic will lead anywhere but I'm pretty amazed that you think this.

To my knowledge there is only 1 player on the Leafs that is apparently above criticism and that's Nylander
That's absolutely ridiculous. I said he flat out sucked a few games ago, and nobody had any issue with it. That's because he flat out sucked, and everybody agreed with it. If that would be where the criticism ended, which it does for most players, then this discussion wouldn't happen. However, a cursory look at major fan opinion outlets have him get criticized more than most individual players even after a game like this.

And for the record, if people react the way you describe then they need to grow up and realize that this is a forum and people are free to voice their disagreement. That's outright petulant and immature.

Last edited:

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I don't think a discussion on the topic will lead anywhere but I'm pretty amazed that you think this.

It's the usual pattern. Very good player takes a disproportionate amount of criticism from people who inexplicably think he's not very good.

People who know he's really good rush in to defend him, because it's annoying to watch a very good player take disproportionate criticism.

Same as Kadri and Gardiner before him, and many others before them.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It's the usual pattern. Very good player takes a disproportionate amount of criticism from people who inexplicably think he's not very good.

People who know he's really good rush in to defend him, because it's annoying to watch a very good player take disproportionate criticism.

Same as Kadri and Gardiner before him, and many others before them.
Yep and now happening with Marner.

I don't think anyone believes Nylander isn't very good. There are just parts of his game that some don't like and they are magnified when he isn't playing well.

Reactions: Trapper

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

I don't think anyone believes Nylander isn't very good. There are just parts of his game that some don't like and they are magnified when he isn't playing well.
Nylander has all the talent in the world, he has all the tools needed to be a special player, I personally don't think he uses said tools on a regular basis, but I'm happy if he simply lives up to his $7 mil salary regardless of not playing the style I believe he's more than capable of playing.

He's had two solid games in a row, lets hope he can build on that........

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

A lot of people believe Nylander is not very good, specifically because they magnify parts of his game they don't like.

With Marner, it's a little different, because he's significantly overpaid. Count me in the group who demands a much higher level of play from him over most other players. If you want to demand that kind of money, you can't be a tire-fire at 5v5 for nearly 20 games.

Matthews gets that money, because when he's healthy, he's a 50 goal center, of which there are basically none in the league. So even if Matthews is a little overpaid, it's not significant. And same with Willie and his contract.

But Mitch is making almost $2m more than his direct comparables. He's pretty much the reason we have an AHL backup, and that's due to his crazy demands, and our GM giving in to them.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Nylander has all the talent in the world, he has all the tools needed to be a special player, I personally don't think he uses said tools on a regular basis, but I'm happy if he simply lives up to his $7 mil salary regardless of not playing the style I believe he's more than capable of playing.

He's had two solid games in a row, lets hope he can build on that........
I think he steps up in a bigger role

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
A lot of people believe Nylander is not very good, specifically because they magnify parts of his game they don't like.

With Marner, it's a little different, because he's significantly overpaid. Count me in the group who demands a much higher level of play from him over most other players. If you want to demand that kind of money, you can't be a tire-fire at 5v5 for nearly 20 games.

Matthews gets that money, because when he's healthy, he's a 50 goal center, of which there are basically none in the league. So even if Matthews is a little overpaid, it's not significant. And same with Willie and his contract.

But Mitch is making almost $2m more than his direct comparables. He's pretty much the reason we have an AHL backup, and that's due to his crazy demands, and our GM giving in to them.
Marner leads the league in takaways. He has been a great pker. He has also been not playing with 2 of his regular linemates. To focus on 1 facet of the game which cant be points because he has put up plenty, and vilify him, shows the pettiness of people who for one reason or anther figure they have an axe to grind.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

The GM manages the cap not the players.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
if the William Nylander that plays for the Leafs is the same William Nylander we've seen over the last three games, then I want that guy on the roster, if it's the William Nylander we saw throughout October then I do not want that William Nylander. As long as the guy goes out plays like he means it, displays some will and heart and that winning matter's then I will never complain about a player, if he can put the puck in the net all the better.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Marner leads the league in takaways. He has been a great pker. He has also been not playing with 2 of his regular linemates. To focus on 1 facet of the game which cant be points because he has put up plenty, and vilify him, shows the pettiness of people who for one reason or anther figure they have an axe to grind.

Marner and Tavares have been bad defensively this year. Their point totals are fine, but they are getting scored on more frequently, so it doesn't really matter.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
if the William Nylander that plays for the Leafs is the same William Nylander we've seen over the last three games, then I want that guy on the roster, if it's the William Nylander we saw throughout October then I do not want that William Nylander. As long as the guy goes out plays like he means it, displays some will and heart and that winning matter's then I will never complain about a player, if he can put the puck in the net all the better.

So basically, as long as his chances convert to points, really. He looks good most of October too, just wasn't picking the corners or getting bounces.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

What was laughable is when the Leafs were scored on ?yesterday? the camera's panned to Nylander.

Seriously, they know who the fans are piling on ... just shows how media plays it today.

Anyone who doesn't recognize that bias are the bias.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I think the very obvious common thread over the years is that people don't appreciate 'possession' players. Nazem Kadri, Jake Gardiner and William Nylander are players that should be recognized for their top-notch possession play. When they're not producing points, they're still playing a strong possession game that results in their linemates getting scoring chances. This is clearly illustrated in the advanced stats too.

People love to harp on 'zone entries' and 'zone exits' being bullshit, but do people actually realize how important it is? I don't think so.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
15P in 19GP now. 58.2% CF, and career high ATOI (17:52). This was supposed to be Mitch and Auston's year, but this is shaping up to be Willie's.

I'm glad we have them all.

For sure. It is definitely shaping up to be Willies year over Matthews. Matthews 3rd in the league in goals with 13 and 6th in the league in points with 25.

Nylander will be lucky to hit 25 goals and Matthews will be in the hunt for the Rocket.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
What was laughable is when the Leafs were scored on ?yesterday? the camera's panned to Nylander.

Seriously, they know who the fans are piling on ... just shows how media plays it today.

Anyone who doesn't recognize that bias are the bias.

How about when in their haste to find the object of hate on the first goal, they got the player wrong and flashed Dermott for a while before realizing it was Ceci that must get the close up of shame....on a deflected pass that Hutch blew.

The best hockey team in the world deserves better than this crap. Does anyone like Hughson calling our games? Bowen may grate in nerves but he at least likes our team. You can literally hear the disdain for the Leafs on the broadcasts....and this is the guy they have leading into the crap closeups? Jeez.

Does anyone like the panels? Cherry was well past it but at least he may say something interesting. Now we're gonna get the same herd of independent minds all nodding with each other as their ratings circle the drain.

The problem is that it's a pretty tight circle and no one is gonna call out how awful the product is. Tough to stick your neck out when you know someone's just gonna chop your head off and that's that. Theres a lineup of bad production folks to take their place.

I dont get them but everyone I talk to says the away feeds praise our team more than our home broadcasts. Pathetic.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

horner

May 22, 2007

I agree

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Extreme opinions???? I know Nithoniniel can defend himself but this is just not true. He is one of the more levelheaded here on HF.

Reactions: The Podium
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad