Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
perfect example on Saturday night, hrudey showed some good plays then goes “but you also get this... stopping in on plays” he then shows 2 examples. The first one nylander fights really hard gets the puck back and it spills to the boards and he doesn’t go quite as hard (fair enough there). The second infuriated me no end Willie and a sabres player were skating behind the net the Sabre player clearly stops and looks at the ref and then willy stops, it’s as clear as day the whistle had been blown but hrudey went on to call him lazy his cherry picked clips weren’t even showing what he thought they were
Yeah. Had a discussion a while ago regarding whether Nylander was treated differently from other players, and this is an example of why I say that he is. In a game where Nylander was perhaps our best skater, Hrudy goes out of his way to nitpick on things in Willy's game on such shaky grounds that he couldn't even really find good examples of it. Meanwhile, some players have shown consistent issues that has hampered their effectiveness throughout the season, and not a beep.

He's not a perfect player. Nobody is. But for some reason, it always needs to be pointed out with him. Even some of his fans in media always seem like they need to go 'I understand why he frustrates people but...' It's not necessary. Johnsson losing most of his puck battles is frustrating, Kapanen's occasional tunnel vision is frustrating, Mikheyev's his low percentage shot is frustrating. Everybody has something, yet there's never a need to always bring that up as a caveat when they play great. As it should be, especially in games where it's not really a factor.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yeah. Had a discussion a while ago regarding whether Nylander was treated differently from other players, and this is an example of why I say that he is. In a game where Nylander was perhaps our best skater, Hrudy goes out of his way to nitpick on things in Willy's game on such shaky grounds that he couldn't even really find good examples of it. Meanwhile, some players have shown consistent issues that has hampered their effectiveness throughout the season, and not a beep.

He's not a perfect player. Nobody is. But for some reason, it always needs to be pointed out with him. Even some of his fans in media always seem like they need to go 'I understand why he frustrates people but...' It's not necessary. Johnsson losing most of his puck battles is frustrating, Kapanen's occasional tunnel vision is frustrating, Mikheyev's his low percentage shot is frustrating. Everybody has something, yet there's never a need to always bring that up as a caveat when they play great. As it should be, especially in games where it's not really a factor.

spot on, i wonder if hrudey had a run in with Michael Nylander at some point because it is bordering on vengeful hate towards William at this point, he clearly goes out of his way to "find" examples. Didnt Hrudey say something about nylander being a terrible teammate last year or he would bet teammates dont like him, there was something very egregious like that he said, that had zero basis in reality from what ive seen.

Yeah always a caveat with his good games
"X player had a fantastic game"
"Nylander had a fantastic game but...."

babcock after Willys first (and so far only) hattrick:
“We’ve just got to bring Pastrnak on the road with us all the time, take him to every rink. (Nylander) always wants to be better than (Pastrnak),”
Just say Nylander's offense was fantastic tonight (im not sure how he played the rest of that game so cant say if overall game was great), and you are happy for him, we dont need the caveats

Reactions: saffronleaf

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
“The media is out to get Nylander” narrative is still running around??? Oh, give me a break!!

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
With Franzens interview today one got to wonder what Nylander went through under Babcock.

Franzen & Nylander seems very different personality wise though. Nylander's got an ego (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, obviously). Franzen had social anxiety and depression and has said he didn't want to score goals because he didn't want to make interviews/talk to the media.

It's clear as day Babcock stifled Nylander's potential though. I predicted this in a scenario where Babs is gone, Nylander can be a PPG+ player.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
“The media is out to get Nylander” narrative is still running around??? Oh, give me a break!!
The media guys bashing Nylander have shown no qualms in taking shots at a bunch of leaf players if they show fault. Odog is another. Thank God that willy hasnt given stupid sound bites and given these jackals more to throw. The professionalism of the media is just lacking. There are certainly better ways to criticize without cruxifying. A responsible media speaks a balanced truth. That sometimes will doesnt bring it but he is tremendously skilled and is a big upside on this kind of team. Give me a Willy over a kessel all day long. His general attitude of humbly accepting responsibility and vowing to do better is why I think the leafs need to stick with him. His biggest fans need to stop over promising and manage realistic expectations to keep the backlash from swinging back on him.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
perfect example on Saturday night, hrudey showed some good plays then goes “but you also get this... stopping in on plays” he then shows 2 examples. The first one nylander fights really hard gets the puck back and it spills to the boards and he doesn’t go quite as hard (fair enough there). The second infuriated me no end Willie and a sabres player were skating behind the net the Sabre player clearly stops and looks at the ref and then willy stops, it’s as clear as day the whistle had been blown but hrudey went on to call him lazy his cherry picked clips weren’t even showing what he thought they were
I thought the feature was done fairly and pointed out what many see.
Excellent in many ways but you still get those times when the compete isn't there. He's certainly not the only player that can be guilty of this, for some reason with this player some don't see it or can admit it(I saw you did!)
Hrudey isn't picking on him, they do these features for the attention it draws since it's an ongoing topic.
He wouldn't have come up with the topic on his own, the Producer of the segment would have.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I thought the feature was done fairly and pointed out what many see.
Excellent in many ways but you still get those times when the compete isn't there. He's certainly not the only player that can be guilty of this, for some reason with this player some don't see it or can admit it(I saw you did!)
Hrudey isn't picking on him, they do these features for the attention it draws since it's an ongoing topic.
He wouldn't have come up with the topic on his own, the Producer of the segment would have.

Hrudey has a clear agenda when it comes to nylander it is plain to see, my guess is Micheal did something Hrudey didnt like at some point because its very personal for him. The feature used 2 clips as i said, one is fine it is exactly what he is talking about but the next one is so obviously a break in play its ludicrous he'd show it.

Never seen one of those Hrudey segments where he does the good and bad of other players, ill take your word for it, ive seen many where he is just praising the player not ifs or buts just praise

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
First of all, i wasnt referring to Nylander...i was referring.to rantanen and point. Second of all, marner has 4 points less with 10 less games. Dont make me laugh. Marner will soon pass Willy. This train has left the station and it is hillareous these 2 players are still being compared. I dont want to slam Willy, but dont make him into something he isnt.

4 pts less with 10 games less played.....???

I'm pretty sure I saw hundreds of people on here saying the same things about Matthews when the Matthews vs Marner debate was at its height. But you Marner apologists just brushed the comments off with "he's injury prone" and other dumb comments like "its not marners fault he played all 82 games". All you Marner lovers kept repeating were the final numbers and that they were more, no context to the numbers attached.

Well the tables have turned. Marner is not around. Nylander is playing all the games and is on pace for 30 goals and playing well.

Marner is never going to live up to the price tag since he cannot score a lot of goals. Backstroms 11.2% of the cap was the best comparison for Marner. Backstrom is a HOF playmaker. has 1 30 goal season on his resume. 11.2% would have gotten Marner 9.128M.

Marner will lose the comparison with Willy since Marner cannot out produce a healthy and productive Willy by 4M.

Reactions: Hclass47

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hrudey has a clear agenda when it comes to nylander it is plain to see, my guess is Micheal did something Hrudey didnt like at some point because its very personal for him. The feature used 2 clips as i said, one is fine it is exactly what he is talking about but the next one is so obviously a break in play its ludicrous he'd show it.

Never seen one of those Hrudey segments where he does the good and bad of other players, ill take your word for it, ive seen many where he is just praising the player not ifs or buts just praise
It's weird to me how anything that can be perceived as a negative with this Player is considered an 'agenda'.
Many see what Hrudey sees and have never met his father.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
4 pts less with 10 games less played.....???

I'm pretty sure I saw hundreds of people on here saying the same things about Matthews when the Matthews vs Marner debate was at its height. But you Marner apologists just brushed the comments off with "he's injury prone" and other dumb comments like "its not marners fault he played all 82 games". All you Marner lovers kept repeating were the final numbers and that they were more, no context to the numbers attached.

Well the tables have turned. Marner is not around. Nylander is playing all the games and is on pace for 30 goals and playing well.

Marner is never going to live up to the price tag since he cannot score a lot of goals. Backstroms 11.2% of the cap was the best comparison for Marner. Backstrom is a HOF playmaker. has 1 30 goal season on his resume. 11.2% would have gotten Marner 9.128M.

Marner will lose the comparison with Willy since Marner cannot out produce a healthy and productive Willy by 4M.
So backstrom got 11.28% and followed up with the following seasons...65pts, 44 pts, 48 pts, 79 pts etc etc. I expect you to say the contract is fair if Marner exceed these totals, deal.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
So backstrom got 11.28% and followed up with the following seasons...65pts, 44 pts, 48 pts, 79 pts etc etc. I expect you to say the contract is fair if Marner exceed these totals, deal.
If you’re going to play that game, then Nylander is a flat out pathetic disgraceful joke compared to Pastrnak.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Nylander is playing great right now. And if he continues to build off of this, he very well could turn into a true star winger in the league. He's a lot of fun to watch in the offensive zone. His goal the other night was brilliant, and the two-hit-in-the-air goal last week was the kind of play we could only dream about a Leaf making just a few years ago.

Fun to watch the kid.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto

61, 69, 94 pts. Thats an average of 74 pts. You dont get paid off of one season. Marner has been in the NHL for 3 seasons so lets look at the WHOLE body of work.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
61, 69, 94 pts. Thats an average of 74 pts. You dont get paid off of one season. Marner has been in the NHL for 3 seasons so lets look at the WHOLE body of work.
You are the one that said he wont be living up to his contract. Seems to me that if he exceeded your Backstom example he definitely would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad