Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He sucked tonight. If he should be benched for it, so should half the team.

As usual, he's just the convenient scapegoat for some people.
Is there a point where you move him because it won't work here or do you think Babs goes first and the next coach handles him differently?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Whole team should have been stapled to the bench along with Nylander. Only Kapanen had any right to be out there tbh.

The rules for Nylander are obviously different than the rest of the team. Nylander waves his stick at one guy and rides the pine for 20 minutes, while Kerfoot and Johnsson take a thousand penalties and get right back out there. Marner waves his stick at a guy and then plays half the OT. I want Nylander to be better too, but he gets treated differently than anyone. I hate it.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Overall I like Willy, but I've long said we can't have 4 guys making what they're making. And it's clear Tavares,Matthews,Marner are the ones they wanna keep/build with. That's the new big 3. Nylander will do great somewhere else I'm sure, but we should be looking into moving him for a power forward winger that can hang with Matthews. We have too much of the same is the issue. Our stars aren't like Boston's where Marchand, Pasta will play with an edge. We'll eventually be needing that money to help out the backend. Muzzin is a must to resign. Barrie and Ceci at this point I could care less to resign if this is how their whole season goes. Desperately want a shakeup of any sort at this point

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
I would flip Mikheyev and Nylander line positions.

Johnson -- Matthews -- Mikheyev

When JT and Hyman return to play with Marner, then Nylander should be no better than a 3rd line player with Kerfoot and Moore.
I would give everything to see this happen!

Reactions: 67leafs

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I would give everything to see this happen!

I'd like to see effort and impact rewarded.

I've loved the big power forward game Mikheyev has played, and not afraid to play in traffic battle for pucks, take the puck hard to the net and even kill penalties.

Mikheyev deserves to be getting more icetime and opportunity and Nylander is playing himself down the roster and shouldn't be playing and deserves to be dropped.

So flipping these 2 players in the depth chart is as much about rewarding Mikheyev than punishing Nylander.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Is there a point where you move him because it won't work here or do you think Babs goes first and the next coach handles him differently?
That’s the logical first step.
That also goes for others besides Nylander.

Right now Matthews is getting paid as a franchise center and he is playing more like a goal scoring winger. Defense and compete are average, there is no forecheck and consistency is lacking.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
I'd like to see effort and impact rewarded.

I've loved the big power forward game Mikheyev has played, and not afraid to play in traffic battle for pucks, take the puck hard to the net and even kill penalties.

Mikheyev deserves to be getting more icetime and opportunity and Nylander is playing himself down the roster and shouldn't be playing and deserves to be dropped.

So flipping these 2 players in the depth chart is as much about rewarding Mikheyev than punishing Nylander.
I fully support what you wrote! I also think it would be a sort of wake up call for everyone. I am a big fan of Mikheyev and I think he will make sure not to fail if he is promoted.

Reactions: 67leafs

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Nylander doesn’t even belong in the same breath as Marner. In Nylanders last 84 games he has 12 goals. He is nothing short of a joke.
He not getting the same as Marner, not even close. He getting Seabrook money.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
He not getting the same as Marner, not even close. He getting Seabrook money.

Marner produces. Marner does the little things. Marner had a slow start and is heating up.

Nylander can’t even outproduce studs like the Free Russian wallet the leafs got, or a throw in like Connor Brown.

Why are you even trying to compare Nylander to Marner? Nylander is a fraud

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Marner produces. Marner does the little things. Marner had a slow start and is heating up.

Nylander can’t even outproduce studs like the Free Russian wallet the leafs got, or a throw in like Connor Brown.

Why are you even trying to compare Nylander to Marner? Nylander is a fraud
For 11m better be producing at both ends of the ice and not taking lazy penalties.

That's top 10 in the NHL money.

Reactions: Ciao

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
That’s the logical first step.
That also goes for others besides Nylander.

Right now Matthews is getting paid as a franchise center and he is playing more like a goal scoring winger. Defense and compete are average, there is no forecheck and consistency is lacking.

If ALL these players aren't playing up to par, why?
Maybe they just need a different voice....the swagger is completely gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad