Speculation: Nylander contract talk Part II - (All Nylander talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
That may or may not be the case. Any of the other 3 comparables I cited may be sure fire 80 point players. The point is the poster I replied to said it would be a sure fire win if Nylander signs close to 7M per year. Looking at the list I provided as contrast, if Nylander does sign close to 7M per, it looks like Detroit, Winnigeg, and the Bruins are bigger winners.

But it's silly to compare last year's salaries with this year's. Why be silly?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
"something may or may not happen, hockey insider... darren dreger, reporting."

I will never forget when Mats Sundin was a free agent and he was deciding between Montreal or Vancouver, Dreger came on TSN as "The Insider" and he said "Mats Sundin will either sign with Montreal, Vancouver, back in Toronto, or he will retire."

Gee, thanks Dregs! Those three teams have been reported now for about.... five months.

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The only way it would be a win is if they got the 8th year in at $7 million AAV.

I cant see Dubas standing firm at whatever offer he has on the table and buckling with an AAV that high. Its gotta be a 6-7 year deal at around 6.5 million.

If sources are correct, Nylander's group is pushing for the long term contract. Dubas for the bridge. Larkin took 5 years for only 6.1M a few months ago and he is a proven 63 points 2 way player. Nylander is a proven 61 pts player. Doesn't buy up any UFA years. So this may be the way to go. The Jets were very smart to lock up Ehlers last year, a full year before he used his RFA status. 6M for him is a bargain. Pastranak on the strength of a 34 goal, 70 pts season in 75 games secured a 6.66 x 6 year contract.

If its a longer deal, then Ehlers is the benchmark since he is starting this year as year 1 of his deal at 6M per contract. So I don't understand all these if Nylander signs close to 7M it is a win for the Leafs. It is not. They may have gotten him cheaper last year as the Jets did with Ehlers. But the cap only went up 4.5M from last year. Nylander looks like he is the winner here if Dubas buckles under pressure.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I'm honestly curious to know, what would your opinion be, given it's about Leafs and one of their players, and you being a fan of the team...if let's say market value for a Nylander type player was 7.5/8 and Leafs were offering what they are today (rumored/suspected 6).

I'd say based off of his playoff dissapearance during the Boston series...I am not willing to sacrifice that much cap to a kid who has potential but has yet to prove he's worth 8. I don't give a f*** what he can do during the regular season where the games are easier and their is less pressure from other teams trying to shut you down.

By all means...offer sheet him.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
If sources are correct, Nylander's group is pushing for the long term contract. Dubas for the bridge. Larkin took 5 years for only 6.1M he is a proven 63 points player. Nylander is a proven 61 pts player. Doesn't buy up any UFA years. So this may be the way to go. The Jets were very smart to lock up Ehlers last year, a full year before he used his RFA status. 6M for him is a bargain. Pastranak on the strength of a 34 goal, 70 pts season in 75 games secured a 6.66 x 6 year contract.

If its a longer deal, then Ehlers is the benchmark since he is starting this year as year 1 of his deal at 6M per. So I don't understand all these if Nylander signs close to 7M it is a win for the Leafs. It is not. They may have gotten him cheaper last year as the Jets did with Ehlers. But the cap only went up 4.5M from last year. Nylander looks like he is the winner here if Dubas buckles under pressure.

How many times does Dubas himself say that a bridge is not in the conversation from both sides?

Reactions: Short Side High

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
If sources are correct, Nylander's group is pushing for the long term contract. Dubas for the bridge. Larkin took 5 years for only 6.1M a few months ago and he is a proven 63 points player. Nylander is a proven 61 pts player. Doesn't buy up any UFA years. So this may be the way to go. The Jets were very smart to lock up Ehlers last year, a full year before he used his RFA status. 6M for him is a bargain. Pastranak on the strength of a 34 goal, 70 pts season in 75 games secured a 6.66 x 6 year contract.

If its a longer deal, then Ehlers is the benchmark since he is starting this year as year 1 of his deal at 6M per. So I don't understand all these if Nylander signs close to 7M it is a win for the Leafs. It is not. They may have gotten him cheaper last year as the Jets did with Ehlers. But the cap only went up 4.5M from last year. Nylander looks like he is the winner here if Dubas buckles under pressure.
Your sources are incorrect....both parties want long term.

Reactions: Dustin

member 290103

In a Nylander for tanev trade, the add to tanev would have to be more valuable than Tanev himself.

No, it really would not. I am thinking Dufas pulls his head clear of his rear and makes this deal. Perhaps a player a like Gudbranson and Tanev for Nylander and Gardiner. Canucks could then waive Gardiner or pawn him off on some other team for a late round pick.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
That's my continued question....i keep reading about 8 million dollar offersheets, well, for a GM to do that....he needs to believe he is worth it.

For him to be offered $8 million the GM would have to be thinking like an HF poster who's only stake in this is hoping the Leafs get screwed.

How many times does Dubas himself say that a bridge is not in the conversation from both sides?

What people actually say only matters if it helps his argument. If it doesn't it's in one ear and out the other.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Look above. 4.5 increase from last year's contracts, and Larkin signed this summer.

Larkin has one 63 point season but you took the trouble to write "proven". that was my point there.

You are vastly overplaying the cap going up angle here. It has been illustrated for you.

You are vastly overplaying a player getting, by using your very own examples, at the most about half a million per year more than a comparable who signed under a lower cap "should".

And that, too, has been illustrated for you.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
No, it really would not. I am thinking Dufas pulls his head clear of his rear and makes this deal. Perhaps a player a like Gudbranson and Tanev for Nylander and Gardiner. Canucks could then waive Gardiner or pawn him off on some other team for a late round pick.
Bahhaha!
Like that's a good deal for toronto?

Bahahhahaha!
Acting like gardiner is a negative asset!?

Gardiner would return a 1st++ lol.

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
If sources are correct, Nylander's group is pushing for the long term contract. Dubas for the bridge. Larkin took 5 years for only 6.1M a few months ago and he is a proven 63 points 2 way player. Nylander is a proven 61 pts player. Doesn't buy up any UFA years. So this may be the way to go. The Jets were very smart to lock up Ehlers last year, a full year before he used his RFA status. 6M for him is a bargain. Pastranak on the strength of a 34 goal, 70 pts season in 75 games secured a 6.66 x 6 year contract.

If its a longer deal, then Ehlers is the benchmark since he is starting this year as year 1 of his deal at 6M per contract. So I don't understand all these if Nylander signs close to 7M it is a win for the Leafs. It is not. They may have gotten him cheaper last year as the Jets did with Ehlers. But the cap only went up 4.5M from last year. Nylander looks like he is the winner here if Dubas buckles under pressure.

Dubas stated yesterday that both are looking for long term, and that a bridge deal with be "sub optimal".

I dont see Dubas buckling and quite frankly I dont think Nylander has much leverage at all right now. Whatever the number is, itll be closer to what Dubas wants, then what Nylanders side has been pushing IMO.

Reactions: Dustin

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Why? The cap only went up 4.5. And again Larkin was signed this summer, and Ehlers new contract kicks in this year, as it is essentially under the new cap also.

LOL. Larkin hasn't done half of what Nylander has done in his career. And Ehlers was signed a year ago, when the cap was 4.5 million lower.

Don't be silly, son.

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto

If the end goal for the Leafs is far more shots against than for, this would be an awesome deal.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
If sources are correct, Nylander's group is pushing for the long term contract. Dubas for the bridge.
Please show me a clip of Dubas saying he is trying to bridge Nylander, because I could show you 2 or 3 of him saying that both he and the Nylander camp want long term deals and that has been what they are focusing on.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
LOL. Larkin hasn't done half of what Nylander has done in his career. And Ehlers was signed a year ago, when the cap was 4.5 million lower.

Don't be silly, son.

Ehlers new contract kicks in this year under the new cap. He was signed knowing the cap was going up. lol

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Reactions: Namikaze Minato
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad