Speculation: Nylander contract talk Part II - (All Nylander talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Nylander re-signs before the season starts...

Nylander $45.5/7 = $6.5m AAV ... +.25m to +..375m AAV for an 8 year deal

Last edited:
Reactions: Brock Radunske

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
After hearing Dubas speak today, it sounds like they are prepped to wait out Gross until December if needed.

Leafs have the team to keep winning without him. Does Willy want to miss pay checks?

I think a deal gets done Oct 2. as seen with Gaudreau right before the 2016 season started.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Offer sheeting is going to be hard for another team. AAV is divided by 5 so any talk of signing him to 7 years would have to be a low contract and as such the Leafs would just match. It would basically have to be no more than $5.5 over 7. Again the Leafs would love that contract. Anything over that would mean the team has to give the Leafs four 1st round picks. The Leafs take that probably no matter what team it is.

Edit. Forgot a part, any 5 year deal would have to be close to $8 for the Leafs to pause and even then the team that gets Nylander only gets him to his UFA as he is eligible in 5 years.

DJIncognito

Jun 9, 2007
It's okay if he misses the start of the season. Hope he signs sooner rather than later - but has to be at the right cap hit. I figure he's worth:
Year 1, 2: $4 Mil a year
Year 3, 4: $6 Mil a year
Year 5, 6: $7.5 Mil a year
Year 7, 8: $8 Mil a year
Total = $51 Mil over 8 years or $6.375 Mil cap hit. Front load that contract, make a lot of it signing bonus/lockout proof since the Leafs can afford it. If he doesn't want that deal then a bridge deal - 2 year $8 Mil or 4 years $20 Mil.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Offer sheeting is going to be hard for another team. AAV is divided by 5 so any talk of signing him to 7 years would have to be a low contract and as such the Leafs would just match. It would basically have to be no more than $5.5 over 7. Again the Leafs would love that contract. Anything over that would mean the team has to give the Leafs four 1st round picks. The Leafs take that probably no matter what team it is.

Edit. Forgot a part, any 5 year deal would have to be close to $8 for the Leafs to pause and even then the team that gets Nylander only gets him to his UFA as he is eligible in 5 years.

I don't know why people still consider offersheets as a threat. After Stamkos was an RFA with back to back 90+ point seasons and Rocket Richard's as a 20/21 year old, it was evident that GM's don't want to offersheet.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I don't know why people still consider offersheets as a threat. After Stamkos was an RFA with back to back 90+ point seasons and Rocket Richard's as a 20/21 year old, it was evident that GM's don't want to offersheet.

Agreed. Furthermore even if they were a thing the cost is too high for player of Nylander's ability or better. Four 1st round picks is a lot.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
What contract would they offer?

They would have to see him as a long term fixture at 2C. If so, they would try to stay under the $8.1M breakpoint where the compensation is 2 1sts, a 2nd, a 3rd. So $8M over max term is probably what they would be offering. Because Toronto is very likely to match this, and then turn around and offer sheet Heisk when he's an RFA, I think that Dallas is more likely to try to negotiate a trade for his rights than to straight up sign him to an offer sheet.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It's okay if he misses the start of the season. Hope he signs sooner rather than later - but has to be at the right cap hit. I figure he's worth:
Year 1, 2: $4 Mil a year
Year 3, 4: $6 Mil a year
Year 5, 6: $7.5 Mil a year
Year 7, 8: $8 Mil a year
Total = $51 Mil over 8 years or $6.375 Mil cap hit. Front load that contract, make a lot of it signing bonus/lockout proof since the Leafs can afford it. If he doesn't want that deal then a bridge deal - 2 year $8 Mil or 4 years $20 Mil.
If he was willing to take that deal would have been done months ago.

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if right before the season he signs a one year and the 3 all negotiate together next summer.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
They would have to see him as a long term fixture at 2C. If so, they would try to stay under the $8.1M breakpoint where the compensation is 2 1sts, a 2nd, a 3rd. So $8M over max term is probably what they would be offering. Because Toronto is very likely to match this, and then turn around and offer sheet Heisk when he's an RFA, I think that Dallas is more likely to try to negotiate a trade for his rights than to straight up sign him to an offer sheet.
So if they offer 8 million for 7 years that would be 4 1st rounder because of how offersheets work.

You take the entire contract value and divide by 5 to get the dollar value used in the draft pick compensation. In this case the dollar value is 11.2 million.

This is why offersheets are so damn unlikely because a team would have to offer nylander like 8 million for 5 years which is a bad contract to give picks up to get.

Refer to bullet points: Offer Sheet Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: Dustin

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
So if they offer 8 million for 7 years that would be 4 1st rounder because of how offersheets work.

You take the entire contract value and divide by 5 to get the dollar value used in the pick compensation. In this case the dollar value is 11.2 million.

This is why offersheets are so damn unlikely because a team would have to offer nylander like 8 million for 5 years which is a bad contract to give picks up to get.

Refer to bullet points: Offer Sheet Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I didn't know, thanks for pointing that out. Doesn't change much though, they would offer 5 instead of 7, if they chose to resort to the OS.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I didn't know, thanks for pointing that out. Doesn't change much though, they would offer 5 instead of 7, if they chose to resort to the OS.
I think paying Nylander 8 million dollars for 5 years is a really bad idea. That isn't far off Kucherov/Stamkos or Seguin/Benn money and is for 5 years instead of 8.

If a team offered 8 million for 5 years and Willy accepted I think the leafs may not match it.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I think paying Nylander 8 million dollars for 5 years is a really bad idea. That isn't far off Kucherov/Stamkos or Seguin/Benn money and is for 5 years instead of 8.

If a team offered 8 million for 5 years and Willy accepted I think the leafs may not match it.

Plus it takes him straight to his UFA at 27.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Nylander looks like he really put in a lot of work in the offseason. He looks absolutely jacked in his latest Instagram photo. I admire his dedication off the ice and I think maybe he will deserve an 8-10 million dollar contract one day. But anyway based on 2 60 point seasons and a not great playoff I’m not sure if he can push the envelope when it comes to leverage. I hope they can sign a fair deal soon, I hate to see these situations drag on.

Reactions: shello

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
He's going to Re-Sign no doubt. Just a matter of when.

But lets keep the hot takes coming. Gotta do something until then I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad