Speculation: Nylander contract talk Part II - (All Nylander talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 290103

Please show me a clip of Dubas saying he is trying to bridge Nylander, because I could show you 2 or 3 of him saying that both he and the Nylander camp want long term deals and that has been what they are focusing on.

Dufas is just like Ross Atkins. They smile and say they want every player to re-sign, but in reality they know this is not going to happen. Leafs need to move on from Nylander. They need a solid blue liner, not more scoring. Hopefully Dufas pulls his head out of his rear end and clues in to this fact. The playoffs last year are a prime example of what the Leafs issues will be should they not rectify their D corp.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Dufas is just like Ross Atkins. They smile and say they want every player to re-sign, but in reality they know this is not going to happen. Leafs need to move on from Nylander. They need a solid blue liner, not more scoring. Hopefully Dufas pulls his head out of his rear end and clues in to this fact. The playoffs last year are a prime example of what the Leafs issues will be should they not rectify their D corp.
It is really hard to take you seriously when you compare Dubas to Ross Atkins. It did give me a good laugh though.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Ehlers new contract kicks in this year under the new cap. He was signed knowing the cap was going up. lol

Ehlers - 236 games played, 162 points. That's .68 points per game(will go up,. I'm sure), for 6 million bucks.

Nylander - 185 games played, 135 points. That's .73 points per game(will also go up), for 6-7 million bucks.

It's perfect, isn't it?

YAY! LOL! BRB! LMAO!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Larkin has one 63 point season but you took the trouble to write "proven". that was my point there.

You are vastly overplaying a player getting, by using your very own examples, at the most about half a million per year more than a comparable who signed under a lower cap "should".

And that, too, has been illustrated for you.

Larkin's career high in goals is 23. Nylander's is 21.
Larkin's career high in points is 63. Nylander's is 61

And Larkin is not in as good a position as Nylander is playing with Matthews. Or on as strong a team offensively.

Ehlers was signed last fall, knowing the cap would go up. Smart Jets mgt to get it done early. His first year on his contract starts this year.

But it is funny you were given 2 examples of a signing under the current cap, and you have no good rebuttal for either example you asked for and you received.

Ehlers - 236 games played, 162 points. That's .68 points per game(will go up,. I'm sure), for 6 million bucks.

Nylander - 185 games played, 135 points. That's .73 points per game(will also go up), for 6-7 million bucks.

It's perfect, isn't it?

YAY! LOL! BRB! LMAO!

Not sure what this is about. But I do know Ehlers was signed for 6M for 7 years knowing the cap would go up this season, and starting this year. The lesson here is the early bird gets the worm and the late bird goes home with the left overs. I doubt Nylander is signing for 6M for 7 years. To me when Nylander signs, the Ehlers deal will look like even more a steal.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
LOL. Larkin hasn't done half of what Nylander has done in his career. And Ehlers was signed a year ago, when the cap was 4.5 million lower.

Don't be silly, son.

Really? What has Nylander done to make him twice the player Larkin is? They are the same age and Larkin outscored him last year on a **** Detroit team with less favorable line mates.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
I have Nylander on my fantasy team so I am banking on him signing before too long - should be hovering around 7m, probably slightly less, for 7 yrs. Could be a breakout season with the Leafs having another good line, should be interesting times!

Last edited by a moderator:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So you're going to take button and mackenzie's word who say we THINK it may be a bridge while dismissing the agent and gm's word that say they both want long term? Are you purposely trying to be daft? Not sure what your game plan is here.

If you want to discount Button, Dreger said the same thing. All 3 work for TSN. Not sure how I am the only one that is informed on this topic. Ok? Discount them all if you want, believe all of them if you want, or trust only ones that agree with your wish list. Not my problem.
Dreger: Seems most likely Nylander will opt for bridge contract
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/dreger-seems-most-likely-nylander-will-opt-for-bridge-contract-1.1069757

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Isn't really naive of sports fan to believe what players/agents/team executives say about pending contracts. Let's imagine that both Nylander and Leafs wants a long term deal. Obviously the discussion has been going on for months with no resolution. Seems like the only other resolution is a short term deal.
Why do so so many folks make the impasse between Nylander and Dubas. Dubas has the support/input from many at MLS, so it's not like Dubas is the absolute kingmaker from the Leafs camp.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Isn't really naive of sports fan to believe what players/agents/team executives say about pending contracts. Let's imagine that both Nylander and Leafs wants a long term deal. Obviously the discussion has been going on for months with no resolution. Seems like the only other resolution is a short term deal.
Why do so so many folks make the impasse between Nylander and Dubas. Dubas has the support/input from many at MLS, so it's not like Dubas is the absolute kingmaker from the Leafs camp.

nope!!!

me first willi can stay at home and not earn a cent this season.

frankly,, i don't think we need him to have a "fun season"

dubas "needs to set the tone for the franchise"

not some prima donna with 2.5 seasons under his belt.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Bridge deal is the logical next step if they hit an impasse on the long term deal.

Plenty of long-term deals have been signed in October.

It's the same agent that handled Gaudreau. I expect a similar resolution.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
and terrible ownership also

Well we still have a shit corporation (rogers) who owns us...but at least they've finally stopped pretending like they know how to run a hockey team and put full control into Shannahan.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Bridge deal is the logical next step if they hit an impasse on the long term deal.

actually no

me first willi staying at home is the logical step

can't let a kid with only 2.5 years played ,dictate anything to them.

let him stay at home and not earn

that will hit him more then him not on the roster.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
If you want to discount Button, Dreger said the same thing. All 3 work for TSN. Not sure how I am the only one that is informed on this topic. Ok? Discount them all if you want, believe all of them if you want, or trust only ones that agree with your wish list. Not my problem.
Dreger: Seems most likely Nylander will opt for bridge contract
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/dreger-seems-most-likely-nylander-will-opt-for-bridge-contract-1.1069757

Them working for tsn makes the point weaker firstly. Second of all why the heck would I believe something from a second hand source rather than the two people directly involved with the process? How does that make ANY sense? Could it be a bridge? Sure. But still silly to believe TSNs word over dubas/nylander.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Well we still have a **** corporation (rogers) who owns us...but at least they've finally stopped pretending like they know how to run a hockey team and put full control into Shannahan.

bell/rogers have done a absolute 1000% fantastic job running this franchise

my first time ever pleased with ownership and i have been a fan since 72.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
actually no

me first willi staying at home is the logical step

can't let a kid with only 2.5 years played ,dictate anything to them.

let him stay at home and not earn

that will hit him more then him not on the roster.

If bridge deals were some unusual aberration I'd agree, rather then the very common thing they are in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad