Speculation: Nylander contract talk Part II - (All Nylander talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Just to chime in here, the Leafs are not blameless in how salaries have shot up for mediocre guys either.

The day they paid Phaneuf was the beginning of the end of sensible contracts. Kessel coming off an RFA deal too for that matter.

I’m sure there were some head scratchers before them, but I remember those ones vividly thinking thanks a bunch you idiots

Sure. We had bad management back then.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Cotton upset? You looking for a like from a Leaf poster with three capital letters in his name?

Group hug!

Don’t worry he will be signed so enough.

A little annoyed maybe, you should know better after all, not really upset.

Pushing a false narrative, several times now, in multiple threads with not an iota of evidence to support it? Right, enough.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
anything below 7 would qualify as a win for the Leafs, not Nylander and his agent.

Comparables from same draft:

Signings from this summer and only 1 year ago.

Ehlers at 6 Signed last fall 29 goal, 64 point player
Larkin at 6.1 Signed This fall proven 63 point player
Pasta at 6.66 Signed last Summer proven 35 goal 80 point player

Nylander at this point is a 61 point player.

Using these 3 as examples, if Nylander is making close to 7M. How is this a win for the Leafs?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

Using these 3 as examples, if Nylander is making close to 7M. How is this a win for the Leafs?

Because they will have locked up a sure-fire 80+ point player for years to come, for what that costs at this point in time?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Because they will have locked up a sure-fire 80+ point player for years to come, for what that costs at this point in time?

That may or may not be the case. Any of the other 3 comparables I cited may be sure fire 80 point players. The point is the poster I replied to said it would be a sure fire win if Nylander signs close to 7M per year. Looking at the list I provided as contrast, if Nylander does sign close to 7M per, it looks like Detroit, Winnigeg, and the Bruins are bigger winners.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
That's honestly his value.

His agent and himself have to face comparable and the reality that they bring.

I'm honestly curious to know, what would your opinion be, given it's about Leafs and one of their players, and you being a fan of the team...if let's say market value for a Nylander type player was 7.5/8 and Leafs were offering what they are today (rumored/suspected 6).

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

Signings from only 1 year ago.

proven 63 point player...?

because the cap continues to rise, because he is giving up UFA years on a long term deal, and because it would be considerably less than in 3 years after the expiry of a bridge.

also it is a lot less than what some in the media and many hopeful HFBoards posters claim he is asking for.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
If I’m Dubas I dont offer Nylander a dime over 6 million, if his camp doesn’t like it then he can go ahead and sit out regular season games. We’re deep enough that it won’t hurt us too much. Each game he misses will cost him around 40 000 dollars.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
If I’m Dubas I dont offer Nylander a dime over 6 million, if his camp doesn’t like it then he can go ahead and sit out regular season games. We’re deep enough that it won’t hurt us too much. Each game he misses will cost him around 40 000 dollars.
I would do 6.5 long term...a little less than Pasta as he is a little less proven.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I would agree that would really be the right response, "go ahead make the offer". But at that point they lose the negotiation leverage with Nylander and with the trade leverage with the other team.

At this point most of us are working under the assumption that the Leafs don't want to sign Nylander for 5yrs x 8m.
Does any team think he is worth 8?

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
To the [mod] using Ehlers, Larkin and Pasta as comparables. How many years did they sign for? Now what if Nylander signs for 8? Get it yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto

The only way it would be a win is if they got the 8th year in at $7 million AAV.

I cant see Dubas standing firm at whatever offer he has on the table and buckling with an AAV that high. Its gotta be a 6-7 year deal at around 6.5 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->