Proposal: NYI to ARI: for Hjalmarson and Ekman-Larson

cobra427

May 6, 2012
How long has it been since he was last not a weakness in his own end?
Don't look at the +/- stat. There are many reasons OEL hasn't looked as good the last 18 months consistently, mom dying, Schenn/Murphy/now Demers as his partner, injuries, worst team in the NHL, etc...OEL is still easily a top 15 #1D today. What would pay for that? I doubt he is traded but if he is, the return will sting, not parts and picks.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yeah, rated very highly over the summer. Meanwhile from yesterday:

Only respectful comments from a fanbase that routinely makes personal attacks instead of just talking hockey.

The second part of your post seems to be more pumping of Girard's tires, just like Duchene's tires were pumped all summer long. Colorado could have gotten an equivalent LHD prospect at the draft for Hamonic in the same ballpark as Girard, the Islanders wanted draft picks as the main return.

But hey, continue to tell me Girard is just as good as Hanifin, Sergachev, Barzal to save face. I still remember when Oilers fans pumped the tires on Griffin Reinhart after we traded him, a fanbase overpraising their player is nothing new.

Go ask Nashville fans what their opinions are about Girard, and they only got to watch his first 5 games (he's only gotten better since). Ya'know, the Nashville that has scouted Weber, Suter, Ekholm, Ellis, Jones, Josi, Klein, Hamhuis, etc over the years.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Don't look at the +/- stat. There are many reasons OEL hasn't looked as good the last 18 months consistently, mom dying, Schenn/Murphy/now Demers as his partner, injuries, worst team in the NHL, etc...OEL is still easily a top 15 #1D today. What would pay for that? I doubt he is traded but if he is, the return will sting, not parts and picks.

Oh no need to talk to me about how crappy +/- is. It's just been a few years since I've watched OEL and come away impressed with his play against the puck as often as I am disappointed by it. If I'm not mistaken his advanced #s back that up as well.

So I certainly don't view him as a top 15 dman right now and would hate to see the Avs pay that price for him.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Oh no need to talk to me about how crappy +/- is. It's just been a few years since I've watched OEL and come away impressed with his play against the puck as often as I am disappointed by it. If I'm not mistaken his advanced #s back that up as well.

So I certainly don't view him as a top 15 dman right now and would hate to see the Avs pay that price for him.
I actually think he is top 10 and maybe top 5 with decent teammates. I think other GM's will view him top 15 at least. Chayka has on the surface received good returns on his trades. Again, I doubt OEL gets traded, but I think it will be top 15 value and the Avs or anyone else will hate what they have to give up. Time will tell when and if, and what the return is.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I actually think he is top 10 and maybe top 5 with decent teammates. I think other GM's will view him top 15 at least. Chayka has on the surface received good returns on his trades. Again, I doubt OEL gets traded, but I think it will be top 15 value and the Avs or anyone else will hate what they have to give up. Time will tell when and if, and what the return is.

I've got a buddy who's a diehard yotes fan so I hope they do get that price if they move him...I just pray it isn't from Colorado.

MattyW

Jul 28, 2005
Strong Island
Nelson really isn't interesting to me. 20g is nice, but it's like he gets them in the least satisfying way ever.
You're correct. That's why NYI fans are so willing to trade him. I'd trade Nelson for a 5th round pick because it would be addition by subtraction.

NYI fans want these big name defenseman and complain when their offers of Nelson Pelech, etc are laughed off. You've got to put your top young players on the table for a guy like OEL, and even Hammer. If I'm AZ, I'm asking at the least for 1 or 2 guys like Pulock, Aho, Towes, Bellows, or JHS plus the 1sts. No interest in busts like Dal Colle and Russian goalies who will never come over.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Honestly, you aren't getting OEL without including someone like Beauvillier.

Always flip the coin and ask if you would want some other teams fodder for a legit player.

I still get grief for Kavasha/Parrish return for Oli and Luongo.

I think Hjalmarsson would be the realistic option from the Coyotes.

-1st Rounder in 2018 & 3rd rounder in 2018
Conditional 5th round pick in 2019 that can go as high as a second rounder depending how far we go in the playoffs (if we make it).
Wotherspoon/Vande Somple.

There could be a bit of an add but Hjalmarsson only has one year left on his deal beyond this season. Don't see being able to keep him beyond that with our cap situation.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Nelson really isn't interesting to me. 20g is nice, but it's like he gets them in the least satisfying way ever.

You may not be interested, but wouid the coyotes be?

If not Nelson + 2nd. Instead a 1st in ‘18 for Hammer?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
You may not be interested, but wouid the coyotes be?

If not Nelson + 2nd. Instead a 1st in ‘18 for Hammer?
Well I guess I hope not? I have to think our pro scouts see in Nelson what most Islanders fans seem to and what I have; a big, butter soft, usually pretty disengaged guy who can go on great tears of goalscoring and doesn't contribute much outside of that. Am I wrong?

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Well I guess I hope not? I have to think our pro scouts see in Nelson what most Islanders fans seem to and what I have; a big, butter soft, usually pretty disengaged guy who can go on great tears of goalscoring and doesn't contribute much outside of that. Am I wrong?

That’s pretty much Gumby for ya. And his tears aren’t even that good.

Has a great wrister that when given time and space is money.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Honestly, you aren't getting OEL without including someone like Beauvillier.

At this point, Beauvillier goes no where. He's going to spend the next 10 years on Barzal's wing, on Long Island.

OEL will cost too much in assets and he will cost too much in cap $$$. I don't see the Islanders going for him at all.

Reactions: nystromshairstylist

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
OEL @ 50%
Hjammer

for

Pulock
Bellows
Nelson (flip him if you don't want him, or Isles trade him and then trade that to ARI)
'18 1st CGY
'18 2nd CGY
'19 2nd CGY (or 2020 if it gets deferred, not sure what the condition is)

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
OEL w/retention for Bellows, Pulock and both 1sts?
That's two former 1sts and two 1st round picks for a UFA in less than 1.5 years.

What sense does that make from the NYI point of view? Especially with Bellows elevating his status back to blue chip this year?

I understand you want value for your #1D, but it doesn't make sense from the NYI point of view. Especially considering they most likely won't be able to afford him when his contract is up, considering they also have JT, Bailey, Lee, and Eberle all needing new contracts in the next two summers.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
To me, I think OEL is worth Pulock, Bellows, 1st, 2nd

So then Hjammer is worth Nelson and a 2nd
I think Hjalmarsson is worth more than that. Neither of those assets are very interesting. I'd much rather just have Hjalmarsson. He certainly won't be worth less than that at any point before the next deadline.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Not interested in Hjalmersson.

1st + two 2nds + Nelson + Bellows for 1.5yrs of OEL

Tough to imagine another team is willing to beat that.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I think Hjalmarsson is worth more than that. Neither of those assets are very interesting. I'd much rather just have Hjalmarsson. He certainly won't be worth less than that at any point before the next deadline.
I suspect Nelson could get a 2nd+, and I've seen prices for Hjammer in the range of 2 2nd's or 2 2nd's and a 3rd before, so I figured it was pretty comparable.

I did also say that if Zona doesn't want him it could be a 3way type of situation where Zona gets whatever he's worth in terms of picks or whatever instead of Nelson himself.

P.S. I'd also love to add Richardson to that deal, but not sure what his value is. Could he be had for a 3rd?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad