Proposal: NYI to ARI: for Hjalmarson and Ekman-Larson

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
2 1sts in 2018, Dal Colle, Pulock, Ho-sang, Pelech, and Nelson for OEL, Hjammer, and 2 AHL contracts. I think that's more fair.

But I don't think the OP was as bad as people were saying, but a little more was needed.

2 1sts in 2018 is pretty intriguing. I think the Coyotes would be more interested in Pulock and Mayfield than Pelech (they need RHD). Doubt there is much interest in either Dal Colle or Ho Sang. Bellows on the other hand...

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think the Islanders would be way overpaying with this deal for OEL. As someone pointed out, OEL has been an above average defenceman over the last couple of years on a struggling Arizona team. He is not guaranteed to take the Islanders to the next level, or even play to the same level he does now. People scoff at the two 1sts, but the Maple Leafs saw Boston draft both Tyler Seguin and Dougy Hamilton with the picks they gave up for Kessel, and he was only 21 whereas OEL is heading to the wrong side of 28 already.
OEL is 26.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I find it interesting that people think the Coyotes are going to trade their franchise defenseman and their 2nd/3rd best defenseman for a few draft picks and some spare parts. OEL alone should fetch 2 1sts, a top prospect, and a young roster player with high upside.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattyW

Jul 28, 2005
Strong Island
Bellows, Pulock and both 1sts for OEL(50% retained)
Much better proposal than the OP, although I suspect if OEL were truly available there'd be a bidding war that would go higher than this.

The OP is a joke. Prince, Quine, Pelech and Hickey all have zero value (maybe less than zero) and Nelson is more trouble than he's worth due to his non-existent overall game and inconsistent offense. That leaves JHS and two 1sts. That package can get you something, but why is NYI trading picks? We are not contending this year. NYI are tied in the standings exactly with NYR and our crosstown rivals are ready to blow it all up. Isles are mediocre along with about 20 other teams in the NHL this year. Better to keep the picks and look for acquisitions that won't break the bank.
- Mike Green
- Cody Ceci
- Jordie Benn

These guys, while not top-4 dmen, are probably available for significantly less and would upgrade the putrid defense in Brooklyn, where only Nick Leddy (and maybe a healthy Boychuk) is top-4.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The Islanders are much better than their current record indicates. They were close to leading the division before losing basically all their defensive players.

Kulemin
Cizikas
de Haan
Boychuk
Ladd
Bailey

That's a lot for a team with already suspect defense, and they were all out at the same time for a spell, with only Bailey recently coming back.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Nice straw man, bud. What would your reaction be if someone offered a similar package for two of the Islanders' best players?

Those 2 could be the best players in the history of the NHL - but they are highly unlikely to re-sign with ARI, should they just let them walk for nothing? ARI doesn't really have a lot of leverage, like the NYI did with for instance, Hamonic, who obviously is not in the same category but had a very friendly contract signed for several more years. OEL and Hjal have a year left or so, and they've given no indication they want to return.

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
To ARI:
- both first round picks in 2018
- Brock Nelson
- Thomas Hickey
- Adam Pelech
- Alan Quine
- Shane Prince
- Josh Ho-Sang

To NYI:
- Oliver Ekman-Larsen
- Niklas Hjalmarson

================================

If not acceptable, OEL must be part of any deal-so make me an offer...
let me fix this for you!

Arizona gets- 1st 2018 , 1st 2019 , Bellows, Nelson, Beauvillier
Islanders get- Ham , OEL

Reactions: IODCPiper

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Did he get something close to what he was asking from the NYI? No he didn't.
Because the NYI were not involved in that trade? Not really a good argument to use an uninvolved team against sakic getting close to what he wanted, then trying to spin that into the coyotes not being able to get what they want.

To say that you believe Snow wouldn't want to pay the price for OEL and Hammer is fair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad