Proposal: NYI to ARI: for Hjalmarson and Ekman-Larson

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Not at all interested in paying the astronomical prices for OEL or Karlsson 1.5 years before UFA. Nothing against either player or their ability, but it's too risky.

Use those 2018 1sts to draft and develop a potential #1D LHD instead of using them as bargaining chips to overpay for a soon-to-be-UFA with zero ties to the Islanders organization.

Reactions: nystromshairstylist

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Not at all interested in paying the astronomical prices for OEL or Karlsson 1.5 years before UFA. Nothing against either player or their ability, but it's too risky.

Use those 2018 1sts to draft and develop a potential #1D LHD instead of using them as bargaining chips to overpay for a soon-to-be-UFA with zero ties to the Islanders organization.

What about at the draft table when OEL could be re-signed to an 8 year extension and the Coyotes could eat 50% of next year? Unless a 1D falls in your lap, by the time you develop the #1 LHD, how old is Tavares? Does he want to sit around and wait for that to happen or has he heard that song before and wants to see some action before he signs on the dotted line?

Tavares and OEL in their primes is an interesting combination to build a team around.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
What about at the draft table when OEL could be re-signed to an 8 year extension and the Coyotes could eat 50% of next year? Unless a 1D falls in your lap, by the time you develop the #1 LHD, how old is Tavares? Does he want to sit around and wait for that to happen or has he heard that song before and wants to see some action before he signs on the dotted line?

Tavares and OEL in their primes is an interesting combination to build a team around.

Would still require an enormous financial equivalent, high term and AAV to a 28-year-old who might be another Jay Bouwmeester - a guy who spends his youth as a #1 for a terrible team and looks great but becomes more of a #3-#4 when traded to a contender.

Long-term contracts for defensemen can come back to bite you: Seabrook, Phaneuf are two examples off the top of my head of guys who took the long-term high AAV contract and now aren't playing up to their paycheck.

That's not even considering the overpay it would require to pry him from Arizona. Our prospect cabinet is fine and I'm not looking to drain it for any one player.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
To ARI:
- both first round picks in 2018
- Brock Nelson
- Thomas Hickey
- Adam Pelech
- Alan Quine
- Shane Prince
- Josh Ho-Sang

To NYI:
- Oliver Ekman-Larsen
- Niklas Hjalmarson

================================

If not acceptable, OEL must be part of any deal-so make me an offer...
Calling it not acceptable is being polite.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
2 1sts in 2018, Dal Colle, Pulock, Ho-sang, Pelech, and Nelson for OEL, Hjammer, and 2 AHL contracts. I think that's more fair.

But I don't think the OP was as bad as people were saying, but a little more was needed.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Don't feel bad. Chayka isn't stupid and has made some good trades. Hammer for Murphy was a steal, Raanta/Stepan for DeAngelo/7th was a good move too. If Chayka trades OEL or Hammer, which I highly doubt, the fan base of the trading partner will hate what they have to give up. It won't be parts and picks.

I just meant in the context of these awful proposals

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
2 1sts in 2018, Dal Colle, Pulock, Ho-sang, Pelech, and Nelson for OEL, Hjammer, and 2 AHL contracts. I think that's more fair.

But I don't think the OP was as bad as people were saying, but a little more was needed.
Don't want Ho-Sang. Wouldn't give up value for Pelech (depth) or Nelson or Dal Colle. None of those four are appealing.

david999

Jan 21, 2011
I think the Islanders would be way overpaying with this deal for OEL. As someone pointed out, OEL has been an above average defenceman over the last couple of years on a struggling Arizona team. He is not guaranteed to take the Islanders to the next level, or even play to the same level he does now. People scoff at the two 1sts, but the Maple Leafs saw Boston draft both Tyler Seguin and Dougy Hamilton with the picks they gave up for Kessel, and he was only 21 whereas OEL is heading to the wrong side of 28 already.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
Nice straw man, bud. What would your reaction be if someone offered a similar package for two of the Islanders' best players?

I understand a lot of the Isles offer in this thread aren't with enough value but absolutely no team in the league is willing to trade anything close to Tavares or Barzal's value to get OEL, it just doesn't make sense. Why give up your elite player for another elite player? its got to be for futures where a team is bringing OEL in for the present and giving Arizona assets for the future.

In fact when was the last true blockbuster where you looked at the assets and said holy cow that is a lot?

When OEL is traded it will probably be a top prospect who is already in the NHL, along with quality draft picks, say 2 1sts and a 2nd plus more quality prospects yet to hit the NHL. To me that is the sort of trade OEL would go for, if he was going to be traded.

OEL for 2018 1st round pick, 2019 1st round pick, Blue chip prospect in NHL doing well, quality prospects not in NHL with high potential.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I think will happen, if Arizona ever did trade.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
It's great that many people here love their teams, and want to add nice players to their respective teams.

But as someone succinctly puts it on these boards:

"If you're not giving up something that hurts your team you're not going to get anyone good from the other team."

-Read it, learn it, use it; it's a good rule of thumb. If you don't care too much about the pieces you're proposing to ship out, why would other teams?

And I apologize for forgetting who's line I'm quoting in bold....

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I understand a lot of the Isles offer in this thread aren't with enough value but absolutely no team in the league is willing to trade anything close to Tavares or Barzal's value to get OEL, it just doesn't make sense. Why give up your elite player for another elite player? its got to be for futures where a team is bringing OEL in for the present and giving Arizona assets for the future.

In fact when was the last true blockbuster where you looked at the assets and said holy cow that is a lot?

When OEL is traded it will probably be a top prospect who is already in the NHL, along with quality draft picks, say 2 1sts and a 2nd plus more quality prospects yet to hit the NHL. To me that is the sort of trade OEL would go for, if he was going to be traded.

OEL for 2018 1st round pick, 2019 1st round pick, Blue chip prospect in NHL doing well, quality prospects not in NHL with high potential.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I think will happen, if Arizona ever did trade.

That seems fair. How do you think the price differs if you're also adding Hammer to the equation?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
First of all, the trade is a bunch of stuff, for a couple of really good Dmen. Not happening. I also don't think that OEL is the type of Dman that NYI need. Maybe they can chime in?

I do think that Hjalmarsson would be perfect for them, and would be available at a much lesser price. Getting a Cup savvy vet who plays really good D might be just the thing for NYI. Maybe a first, Nelson, and a prospect?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
First of all, the trade is a bunch of stuff, for a couple of really good Dmen. Not happening. I also don't think that OEL is the type of Dman that NYI need. Maybe they can chime in?

I do think that Hjalmarsson would be perfect for them, and would be available at a much lesser price. Getting a Cup savvy vet who plays really good D might be just the thing for NYI. Maybe a first, Nelson, and a prospect?

NYI just needs good defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad