Proposal: NYI to ARI: for Hjalmarson and Ekman-Larson

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Those 2 could be the best players in the history of the NHL - but they are highly unlikely to re-sign with ARI, should they just let them walk for nothing? ARI doesn't really have a lot of leverage, like the NYI did with for instance, Hamonic, who obviously is not in the same category but had a very friendly contract signed for several more years. OEL and Hjal have a year left or so, and they've given no indication they want to return.
Chayka seems confident on re-signing OEL. OEL reportedly likes Arizona. I don’t think it’s a sure thing he tests free agency.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
take out hickey pelech quine prince and add barzal

2 1st plus barzal = OEL w extension

Nelson + ho sang = hammer

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Odds are if you need to put together 8 pieces for 2 pieces people wont like it.

Odds are if you have to put 8 pieces in a deal to land 2 pieces, those 8 pieces are of questionable quality and needed to keep adding until it "looked right".

It never ceases to amaze me how people think they can acquire another team's best players without giving up a single piece that would give them pause to move.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Did he get something close to what he was asking from the NYI? No he didn't.

Yesterday in the Barrie to Colorado thread I tried to argue that the Islanders proposed offer of Hamonic, MDC, 1st (contingent on flipping Hamonic to a third team for an LHD prospect) wasn't all that far off from Turris, Bowers, 1st (contingent on flipping Turris to a third team for an LHD prospect) from Ottawa.

I was called "delusional" about 20 times and "the worst poster on hfboards" because they were willing to move Turris in a 3-way-deal but wouldn't move Hamonic in a 3-way-deal under any circumstances.

A bunch of them even feel Turris+Bowers+1st is a better return than Barzal+Sorokin+Hamonic+1st because Barzal was still a bust when they wanted to trade for him. Also that Snow would have happily traded Barzal++ if only that offer was good enough.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
To ARI:
- both first round picks in 2018
- Brock Nelson
- Thomas Hickey
- Adam Pelech
- Alan Quine
- Shane Prince
- Josh Ho-Sang

To NYI:
- Oliver Ekman-Larsen
- Niklas Hjalmarson

================================

If not acceptable, OEL must be part of any deal-so make me an offer...
For the last time you're dealing quantity for quality here, You're not even close for any dealing involving Ekman-Larsson honestly if you were the Yotes GM John Chayka would you accept this crap for Ekman-Larsson because it is crap plain and simple hopefully the honest answer is No i wouldn't.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yesterday in the Barrie to Colorado thread I tried to argue that the Islanders proposed offer of Hamonic, MDC, 1st (contingent on flipping Hamonic to a third team for an LHD prospect) wasn't all that far off from Turris, Bowers, 1st (contingent on flipping Turris to a third team for an LHD prospect) from Ottawa.

I was called "delusional" about 20 times and "the worst poster on hfboards" because they were willing to move Turris in a 3-way-deal but wouldn't move Hamonic in a 3-way-deal under any circumstances.

A bunch of them even feel Turris+Bowers+1st is a better return than Barzal+Sorokin+Hamonic+1st because Barzal was still a bust when they wanted to trade for him. Also that Snow would have happily traded Barzal++ if only that offer was good enough.

Firstly the last part of this post is just a straight up lie. Barzal is a player many of us rated very highly over the summer...which is why we were willing to forget about the defensive piece if Barzal was on the table for Duchene.

Next let's take a look at these offer so maybe you can understand why the Duchene trade that did happen was much more valuable to colorado than this proposal. You are suggesting 2 firsts, 2 seconds & MDC; instead of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Girard, Bowers and Kamenev that the avs did get for duchene. After washing out a 1st & 2nd...which, given where Ottawa's 1st looks like it will be, is very kind to the Isles package...that means you are trying to argue that a 1st, 2nd & MDC is even close to Girard, Bowers, Kamenev & a 3rd. Which is just silly, I wouldn't give up Girard alone for that.

So yeah, if you really think that Isles package isn't all that far off from what Sakic did get, then you are either delusional or ignorant. And I leave that choice to you.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Firstly the last part of this post is just a straight up lie. Barzal is a player many of us rated very highly over the summer...which is why we were willing to forget about the defensive piece if Barzal was on the table for Duchene.

Next let's take a look at these offer so maybe you can understand why the Duchene trade that did happen was much more valuable to colorado than this proposal. You are suggesting 2 firsts, 2 seconds & MDC; instead of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Girard, Bowers and Kamenev that the avs did get for duchene. After washing out a 1st & 2nd...which, given where Ottawa's 1st looks like it will be, is very kind to the Isles package...that means you are trying to argue that a 1st, 2nd & MDC is even close to Girard, Bowers, Kamenev & a 3rd. Which is just silly, I wouldn't give up Girard alone for that.

So yeah, if you really think that Isles package isn't all that far off from what Sakic did get, then you are either delusional or ignorant. And I leave that choice to you.

Yeah, rated very highly over the summer. Meanwhile from yesterday:

But I am not really surprised that instead of being happy about having dodged a bullet with Barzal (who no one expected to break out the way he did. Certainly not me. I will gladly eat crow on that one.)

Instead of being happy that Barzal is not playing in an Avs uniform (which certainly was a realistic possibility), you seem to want to re-litigate that stuff for some weird reason.

Only respectful comments from a fanbase that routinely makes personal attacks instead of just talking hockey.

The second part of your post seems to be more pumping of Girard's tires, just like Duchene's tires were pumped all summer long. Colorado could have gotten an equivalent LHD prospect at the draft for Hamonic in the same ballpark as Girard, the Islanders wanted draft picks as the main return.

But hey, continue to tell me Girard is just as good as Hanifin, Sergachev, Barzal to save face. I still remember when Oilers fans pumped the tires on Griffin Reinhart after we traded him, a fanbase overpraising their player is nothing new.

Reactions: nystromshairstylist

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, rated very highly over the summer. Meanwhile from yesterday:

Only respectful comments from a fanbase that routinely makes personal attacks instead of just talking hockey.

The second part of your post seems to be more pumping of Girard's tires, just like Duchene's tires were pumped all summer long. Colorado could have gotten an equivalent LHD prospect at the draft for Hamonic in the same ballpark as Girard, the Islanders wanted draft picks as the main return.

But hey, continue to tell me Girard is just as good as Hanifin, Sergachev, Barzal to save face. I still remember when Oilers fans pumped the tires on Griffin Reinhart after we traded him, a fanbase overpraising their player is nothing new.

This may be because English is my third language, but I fail to see where in the post you are quoting Barzal is called a bust *shrug*

And if you think Girard's tires only started getting pumped after the trade, and not during the preceeding two seasons where he clearly outplayed Chabot in the Q; then you haven't been paying attention. He doesn't have Hanifin's size so isn't on his level and I preferred Sergachev despite the risks; but Girard is only below that tier because of his size. If not for Chabot's WJC performance Samwise would've won back-to-back defenseman of the year awards before hitting the NHL at 19 & thriving despite that size, so sooner or later one is forced to accept that that hobbit just knows how to do that hockey.

:dunno: but hey, if you'd like to pretend this is the same as delusional oilers fans hyping Griffin Reinhart, who I remember arguing would bust with some of you when you guys still had hope in him, that's fine. Just be aware that it already looks silly to central fans who've seen how slick Girard is at both ends of the ice; and will only look sillier as times goes on and you guys on the east coast start to get wise to what the smurf is capable of.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Pulock, nelson and ho sang = oel
Barzal =oel signed

If you don't think you're going to sign OEL long term, then you're not gunna end up with the high bid for OEL. So what's the point in even mentioning it? Either offer what he's worth or leave it teams who will make real offers. Haven't we seen enough stars traded in the final two years of their contracts to realize this?

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
If you don't think you're going to sign OEL long term, then you're not gunna end up with the high bid for OEL. So what's the point in even mentioning it? Either offer what he's worth or leave it teams who will make real offers. Haven't we seen enough stars traded in the final two years of their contracts to realize this?
Oel is good but not great and barzal would become the yotes best player (#1 C). Pulock would be on top pair, nelson and ho sang would be on yotes top 6

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Oel is good but not great and barzal would become the yotes best player (#1 C). Pulock would be on top pair, nelson and ho sang would be on yotes top 6

I agree with you about OEL being over-rated...why does he get a pass for his terrible D-zone play while other PMDs who are actually decent in their own end get crucified for not also being shutdown dmen?...and Barzal a young stud; so if a 1-for-1 happened I think in the end Arizona would actually come out ahead.

I just hate that "but his contract durr" argument. It doesn't hold up logically & doesn't match the reality of star trades in the NHL; so why it keeps getting brought up on HF is baffling...and as an avs fan who dealt with it during the ROR & Duchene debates; and who's gunna have to face it in Barrie talks; it's irritating af lol

Last edited:

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
To ARI:
- both first round picks in 2018
- Brock Nelson
- Thomas Hickey
- Adam Pelech
- Alan Quine
- Shane Prince
- Josh Ho-Sang

To NYI:
- Oliver Ekman-Larsen
- Niklas Hjalmarson

================================

If not acceptable, OEL must be part of any deal-so make me an offer...

No offense, but there is hardly enough quality for Larsson in this deal let alone Hammer. You're basically giving up scraps (Quine, Hickey and Prince), somewhat useful (Pelech), a player having a really down season (Nelson) and the only quality asset is a mid to late first. Sorry if I don't seem to high on Ho-Sang. This wouldn't get you past one of them. Unless they were really high on Nelson, Pelech and a 1st.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I agree with you about OEL being over-rated...why does he get a pass for his terrible D-zone play while other PMDs who are actually decent in their own end get crucified for not also being shutdown dmen?...and Barzal a young stud; so if a 1-for-1 happened I think in the end Arizona would actually come out ahead.

I just hate that "but his contract durr" argument. It doesn't hold up logically & doesn't match the reality of star trades in the NHL; so why it keeps getting brought up on HF is baffling...and as an avs fan who dealt with it during the ROR & Duchene debates; and who's gunna have to face it in Barrie talks; it's irritating af lol
The answer is because OEL is not terrible defensively. Traditionally he's been excellent defensively. When his team isn't a trainwreck, he's elite in all facets of play.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The answer is because OEL is not terrible defensively. Traditionally he's been excellent defensively. When his team isn't a trainwreck, he's elite in all facets of play.

How long has it been since he was last not a weakness in his own end?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How long has it been since he was last not a weakness in his own end?
He was fantastic against Columbus two nights ago. He's been really good since the Duclair trade, really. The Coyotes have played reasonably and he's been very good.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad