Proposal: NYI to ARI: for Hjalmarson and Ekman-Larson

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If you want OEL so bad, you should probably be willing to give Barzal. Arizona will want either a top young center, or a similar D for OEL

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
The NYI fans defending Pelech and Mayfield clearly aren't watching the same games I am. Check the advanced stats. Check the possession numbers. Look at Leddy's -22 because he's been paired with these blackholes.

This is the worst defense in the NHL for a reason; they are playing minor leaguers who cannot step up to fill the holes. But what's worse is the fact they were given multi-year extensions. The worst defense in the NHL is now locked in long-term for the next three years at least. It's a complete joke and it's ruined what could have been an exciting season.

The majority of NYI fans on this site cannot look past the biases of the team's young players and the hope that they might develop more in the future. Pelech and Mayfield would be throw-ins in any deal, not significant pieces in the least.

I've watched more NYI games this year than any since the early 1990s, and I disagree.

Using tonight's game, Leddy sucked by himself no matter who he was paired with. He was weak on tying up his man and lost track of others, leading directly to goals. If his partners were so bad, they'd have double-digit plus-minuses like he does. Mayfield has played 41 games and is just -9, while Pelech has played 48 games - only 4 less than Leddy, and is +10.

A lot of the problems this year fall on the D and goaltending overall, but Leddy has been consistently terrible.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
If you want OEL so bad, you should probably be willing to give Barzal. Arizona will want either a top young center, or a similar D for OEL

Barzal is a non-starter, and I don't want OEL that much. I'd rather have Hjal, but prying him loose is not going to take several #1 picks, etc.; he's already past 30 with a lot of mileage and 1 year left on his contract.

Reactions: IODCPiper

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Admittedly it might seem a bit off, but there is a good chance both of those guys are walking from ARI next year as FAs, so they don't have a lot of leverage.

At this point, having reconsidered the two players, we need better defensive defensemen so I'd rather go after Hjalmarsen who can be had for a more reasonable price than OEL.
Latest LeBrun article has a quote about OEL wanting to stay. This notion that AZ "has" to move OEL is premature at best. Organization won't move him until he refuses a new contract and even then it's a draft day type move. The return is unlikely to be a winger simply because of their current roster and prospect pool coupled with the fact they have an 80% chance of picking 2-4 which given this draft class means they are drafting a winger (one of Tkachuk, Svechnikov, or Zadina).

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaibur

txw

Feb 2, 2018
To ARI:
- both first round picks in 2018
- Brock Nelson
- Thomas Hickey
- Adam Pelech
- Alan Quine
- Shane Prince
- Josh Ho-Sang

To NYI:
- Oliver Ekman-Larsen
- Niklas Hjalmarson

================================

If not acceptable, OEL must be part of any deal-so make me an offer...

This trade is so bad , a bunch of spare parts, relatively unproven prospects and meh roster players for an elite offensive defenseman and one of the best defenders in the NHL?

Coyotes are trying to build on real skill and players, and taking half the Bridgeport Sound Tigers isnt the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
To ARI:
- both first round picks in 2018
- Brock Nelson
- Thomas Hickey
- Adam Pelech
- Alan Quine
- Shane Prince

- Josh Ho-Sang

To NYI:
- Oliver Ekman-Larsen
- Niklas Hjalmarson

================================

If not acceptable, OEL must be part of any deal-so make me an offer...
Bolded are worthless...esp if your trying to acquire OEL and Hammer...surely ARI would want Barzal in return for both those guys.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Don't feel bad. Chayka isn't stupid and has made some good trades. Hammer for Murphy was a steal, Raanta/Stepan for DeAngelo/7th was a good move too. If Chayka trades OEL or Hammer, which I highly doubt, the fan base of the trading partner will hate what they have to give up. It won't be parts and picks.
I feel like Chayka does the same type of work Chiarelli does in terms of taking 1 step forward..then 2 steps back.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Bolded are worthless...esp if your trying to acquire OEL and Hammer...surely ARI would want Barzal in return for both those guys.

That's nice. Maybe they'll ask for Tavares too, plus $100MM in cash and a private jet as well.

As I said earlier in the thread, like 5 pages back, that both d-men have 1 year left on their contracts, meaning even if they were Crosby and Malkin ARI is not operating from a position of strength as both will be pending free agents.

Even mentioning Barzal in the conversation is frankly, insulting and laughable.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Latest LeBrun article has a quote about OEL wanting to stay. This notion that AZ "has" to move OEL is premature at best. Organization won't move him until he refuses a new contract and even then it's a draft day type move. The return is unlikely to be a winger simply because of their current roster and prospect pool coupled with the fact they have an 80% chance of picking 2-4 which given this draft class means they are drafting a winger (one of Tkachuk, Svechnikov, or Zadina).

What does anyone expect him to say; "Oh I can't wait for free agency so I can escape the league's worst ranked team and make a lot more money in a more stable environment where hockey is cherished and the temp isn't 110 degrees half the year..."?

TBH my interest is primarily in Hjal because the NYI need defensive defensement who can clear creases and get pucks out of the zone, not more Nick Leddys. And there is no universe where Hjal merits anything close to a Barzal, who will likely be a major star in this league for the next 7-10 years.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I feel like Chayka does the same type of work Chiarelli does in terms of taking 1 step forward..then 2 steps back.
His trades are fine, Stepan/Raanta/Hammer/Chychrun. Trading Smith was forced for budget reasons and maybe not signing Verby were house cleaning dictated by the new owner. The only thing he has in common with Chiarelli is picking the wrong coach.

MattyW

Jul 28, 2005
Strong Island
[MOD]

Regarding Leddy, while he has struggled recently, the overall body of work throughout the course of his career is that of a solid, top-4 (bordering on top pairing) defenseman. Mayfield and Pelech, meanwhile, are dog****. The overall body of work so far is they are way overmatched and over their heads in the NHL. The first year in which these two have been everyday players has resulted in the worst defense assembled in the entire NHL. They simply refuse to stand players up at the blueline and forwards now walk in as close as 25 feet from goal and are putting up sometimes 50 shots on goal per game. It's a complete embarrassment and any NYI fans producing apologia for this defense is utterly and irretrievably lost, the amount of game they watch notwithstanding.

Last edited by a moderator:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
What does anyone expect him to say; "Oh I can't wait for free agency so I can escape the league's worst ranked team and make a lot more money in a more stable environment where hockey is cherished and the temp isn't 110 degrees half the year..."?

TBH my interest is primarily in Hjal because the NYI need defensive defensement who can clear creases and get pucks out of the zone, not more Nick Leddys. And there is no universe where Hjal merits anything close to a Barzal, who will likely be a major star in this league for the next 7-10 years.
When he says he doesn't want to take the easy way out (free agency) and be part of the solution it reads a little differently than your interpretation. Local coverage has all but dismissed the possibility of a trade outright (earliest it would happen is the draft - see Natural Hattrick Jan 18th podcast for source) this year and lean towards an extension. AZ actually will likely pay a premium ($9M+?) to retain. If you look at their salary coming off the books they have set themselves up to do so with little impact to their overall budget.

Last edited:

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
2 first round picks, a consistent 20 goal scorer, and a blue chip prospect? I'll throw in another blue chipper in Dal Colle plus a second rounder in 2019.

Given that this is a strong draft, OEL is highly unlikely to re-sign, and several of those players are coming off contracts, I think it is rather reasonable.

Dal Colle is not and has not been a blue chip prospect for a while.

You want both of them? Barzal is involved or bust.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
When he says he doesn't want to take the easy way out (free agency) and be part of the solution it reads a little differently than your interpretation. Local coverage has all but dismissed the possibility of a trade outright (earliest it would happen is the draft - see Natural Hattrick Jan 18th podcast for source) this year and lean towards an extension. AZ actually will likely pay a premium ($9M+?) to retain. If you look at their salary coming off the books they have set the self up to do so with little impact to their overall budget.
I would love to win the 1st overall pick and keep OEL and keep Hjalmarsson and keep Raanta

1. OEL
2. Dahlin
3. Hjalmarsson
4. Chychrun
5. Goligoski
6. Demers

1. Raanta
2. Wedgewood

^ If those 8 stay pretty healthy and play their games pretty well, it would be tough for us to be terrible.

This season has been tough because OEL has had peaks and valleys, Chychrun was hurt/rusty/a teenage sophomore, Demers and Goligoski took some time to adjust to new setting/staff, and Hjalmarsson and Raanta have had absolutley terrible injury luck, despite being fairly healthy in their careers.

That group given some consistency and health should be pretty darn good.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Dal Colle is not and has not been a blue chip prospect for a while. You want both of them? Barzal is involved or bust.

As said (four times?) I'm not as interested in OEL if ARI think it has to get Barzal to get him. Im perfectly satisfied getting only Hjal, so a #1 and a player like Nelson should be sufficient for an over 30 guy with 1 year left on their contract.

You want more, make me an offer that doesn't include Tavares or Barzal- that is realistic.

Last edited:

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
....and Hjalmarsson .....have had absolutley terrible injury luck, despite being fairly healthy in their careers....

Another reason I'm not overpaying for Hjal; loved him in Chi but that's what happens to many/most over 30s, they get injured more readily. Nelson and a #1 is sufficient for Hjal, if ARI thinks it can get more for him from elsewhere then get it.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I would love to win the 1st overall pick and keep OEL and keep Hjalmarsson and keep Raanta

1. OEL
2. Dahlin
3. Hjalmarsson
4. Chychrun
5. Goligoski
6. Demers

1. Raanta
2. Wedgewood

^ If those 8 stay pretty healthy and play their games pretty well, it would be tough for us to be terrible.

This season has been tough because OEL has had peaks and valleys, Chychrun was hurt/rusty/a teenage sophomore, Demers and Goligoski took some time to adjust to new setting/staff, and Hjalmarsson and Raanta have had absolutley terrible injury luck, despite being fairly healthy in their careers.

That group given some consistency and health should be pretty darn good.
Agreed. This is Plan A.

Reactions: Heldig

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
As said (four times?) I'm not as interested in OEL if ARI think it has to get Barzal to get him. Im perfectly satisfied getting only Hjal, so a #1 and a player like Nelson should be sufficient for an over 30 guy with 1 year left on their contract.

You want more, make me an offer that doesn't include Tavares or Barzal, that is realistic.
I think it's reasonable that Barzal is untouchable. That ship has passed. I don't think Coyote fans would expect he would be available.

Reactions: nystromshairstylist

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
I think it's reasonable that Barzal is untouchable. That ship has passed. I don't think Coyote fans would expect he would be available.

I wouldn't trade barzal for BOTH OEL and Hjalmarsen at this point; he could literally dominate games and if he stays healthy, do so for years to come. I was making that claim towards the dreamers suggesting he had to be a part of such a deal which as you aptly put it, is no longer a consideration.

rt

May 13, 2004
Another reason I'm not overpaying for Hjal; loved him in Chi but that's what happens to many/most over 30s, they get injured more readily. Nelson and a #1 is sufficient for Hjal, if ARI thinks it can get more for him from elsewhere then get it.

No interest in Nelson. There are plenty of 12-15g guys that can play C effectively and/or engage physically with high effort level and/or PK and be defensively effective that can be had fairly cheaply. Nelson brings thouse 5ish extra goals but nothing else. I much prefer a Panik or Rieder type that have another element(s) to their game.

rt

May 13, 2004

You want more, make me an offer that doesn't include Tavares or Barzal- that is realistic.
It's not Arizona fans calling for Barzal in these threads typically. It's usually 3rd party fans. Just sayin...

Reactions: Heldig and hbk

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

You still made the offer, it's still terrible regardless of how interested or not you are to acquire OEL. It's awful. One of the worst proposals I've ever seen on here.

You want a #1 defender and a #3 shutdown defender, you're going to have to give up something that hurts.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
No interest in Nelson. There are plenty of 12-15g guys that can play C effectively and/or engage physically with high effort level and/or PK and be defensively effective that can be had fairly cheaply. Nelson brings thouse 5ish extra goals but nothing else. I much prefer a Panik or Rieder type that have another element(s) to their game.

ARI is in major rebuild mold, and if you want another piece that is sane for Hjal besides a #1 pick - which I think might already be overpaying for an over-30 guy with declining skills and health, then suggest it.

There is a good chance Hjal plays only 2-3 more injury prone years, how much is that player really worth?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad