Proposal: NYI to ARI: for Hjalmarson and Ekman-Larson

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I suspect Nelson could get a 2nd+, and I've seen prices for Hjammer in the range of 2 2nd's or 2 2nd's and a 3rd before, so I figured it was pretty comparable.

I did also say that if Zona doesn't want him it could be a 3way type of situation where Zona gets whatever he's worth in terms of picks or whatever instead of Nelson himself.

P.S. I'd also love to add Richardson to that deal, but not sure what his value is. Could he be had for a 3rd?
A 2020 2nd has maybe 20% chance of finally helping us by 2025. It's not worthless or anything but I don't think we have that kind of time. Hjalmarsson has been great when healthy. Why trade him? Sooner or later we have to try to win some games. If OEL doesn't want to stay (no idea if he does or doesn't) we need to deal him now. No rush with Hjalmarsson.

Reactions: Palmer2Fitz

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
A 2020 2nd has maybe 20% chance of finally helping us by 2025. It's not worthless or anything but I don't think we have that kind of time. Hjalmarsson has been great when healthy. Why trade him? Sooner or later we have to try to win some games. If OEL doesn't want to stay (no idea if he does or doesn't) we need to deal him now. No rush with Hjalmarsson.
I think the pick is supposed to be 2019 but I don't remember what the condition was that would push it back.

Hjammer is just as far from UFA as OEL

rt

May 13, 2004
I think the pick is supposed to be 2019 but I don't remember what the condition was that would push it back.

Hjammer is just as far from UFA as OEL
OEL is our franchise player and we have to extract maximum value out of him or we're sunk. His trade is 100% mission critical to franchise survival. Can't f*** this up.

Hjalmarsson is a playoff warrior and one of the best shut down D in the NHL. That said, he's got half of OEL's value and the cost of moving him a year from now instead of a week from now shouldn't really sting us too bad.

rt

May 13, 2004
In a futures for OEL deal they Coyotes would surely demand a young D in return - Pulock, Pelech, or Mayfield possibly.
We don't have a need for Pelech or Mayfield in my opinion. A new RHS D for the PP fills a need for us. I put Pulock way ahead of the other two in terms of value to the Coyotes.

Honestly, Bellows makes for a terrible centerpiece. Yet another LW to go with Perlini and Domi and Crouse. Not to mention Rieder. Plus the other wingers we've got in Keller, Fischer, Panik, Merkley and likely one of Zadina, Tkachuk or Svechnikov after the draft. Buuuuut he's BFF with Keller and is a very intriguing prospect despite his being a LW.

Perlini-xxx-Svech/Zad
Bellows-xxx-Keller
Domi-xxx-Fischer
Crouse-xxx-Merkley

Is just stupid winger depth.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
We don't have a need for Pelech or Mayfield in my opinion. A new RHS D for the PP fills a need for us. I put Pulock way ahead of the other two in terms of value to the Coyotes.

Honestly, Bellows makes for a terrible centerpiece. Yet another LW to go with Perlini and Domi and Crouse. Not to mention Rieder. Plus the other wingers we've got in Keller, Fischer, Panik, Merkley and likely one of Zadina, Tkachuk or Svechnikov after the draft. Buuuuut he's BFF with Keller and is a very intriguing prospect despite his being a LW.

Perlini-xxx-Svech/Zad
Bellows-xxx-Keller
Domi-xxx-Fischer
Crouse-xxx-Merkley

Yeah, I think you'd pretty much be waiting to see who blossoms and then flipping the one who struggles. Or, bonus they all blossom and you move one for an equally talented player that fits in your lineup. Sometime people get jammed up on position and don't realize they are strong assets all the same.

MattyW

Jul 28, 2005
Strong Island
In a futures for OEL deal they Coyotes would surely demand a young D in return - Pulock, Pelech, or Mayfield possibly.

These three defenseman are not in the same classification. Pulock has VERY HIGH potential, on both sides of the puck. His offensive game shows flashes with some nice dangle moves and ability to avoid getting bumped on the rush, and his shot is one of the hardest in the NHL. He's one of the few defenseman on the NYI right now that engages opposing forwards and maintains strong gap control at the blueline. He should absoutely be included as an "NHL ready prospect" in any trade asking for one.

Pelech and Mayfield are on another level entirely, and not in a good way. Pelech has been one of the biggest disappointments for me after signing a 4-year extension in the off-season. He takes terrible penalties, exhibits no gap control, and makes no offensive contributions save once in a blue moon. He's only noticeable in a bad way. Mayfield has the acceleration of an 18 -wheel truck lumbering up the side of a mountain and the turning radius of a school bus. Not even that physical for a guy his size which is surprising; I think Hickey throws more hits than him. This guy was on waivers last year and all of a sudden Garth thinks he's worth a 5-year extension.

Let me tell you, Pelech and Mayfield would GLADLY accept a one-year, one-way contract at $650K next year. Instead, our moron GM decided to hand out multi-year extensions like Halloween candy the way Wang apparently did for him.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
MattyW thanks for thé feedback. I knew pulock has way more upside but did not know the other 2 young guys were so poorly regarded.

rt

May 13, 2004
It feels like we're (Islanders fans and myself, anyway) sort of hovering around the periphery of an agreement on a proposed deal where OEL with some amount of salary retention goes to the Islanders and at least Bellows, Pulock and one 2018 1st rounder goes to Arizona. The amount of retention needs hashed out and the strength of some additional asset from the Isles, as well. Am I out to lunch, or are others seeing this too?

Reactions: AZviaNJ and Heldig

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

Perlini-xxx-Svech/Zad
Bellows-xxx-Keller
Domi-xxx-Fischer
Crouse-xxx-Merkley

Bellows snipe-ability would fit well with all the young Coyote playmakers.

jimdawg47

Oct 31, 2011
Arizona would look toward Barzal, Ho-Sang, Del Colle, Beauvillier. Now all levels these guys have very different values. I think you need start here and then look to piece draft picks into the mix to create a deal.

Reactions: haveandare

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
It feels like we're (Islanders fans and myself, anyway) sort of hovering around the periphery of an agreement on a proposed deal where OEL with some amount of salary retention goes to the Islanders and at least Bellows, Pulock and one 2018 1st rounder goes to Arizona. The amount of retention needs hashed out and the strength of some additional asset from the Isles, as well. Am I out to lunch, or are others seeing this too?
:clap:

rt, well done hashing thru the many. many names thrown out there. Seems like fans on both sides agree on the basis of a deal. Not as much impact as I would like as a Coyotes fan. A lot of future potential to give up as an Isles fan.

IMO if the Coyotes are retaining salary 1 more piece needs to be added (there was talk of both 1sts from the Islanders). Also, some Isles fans expressed interest in Richardson.

Contract limits are a factor for the Coyotes so if they get 2 signed players they have to give up 2 at least.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
MattyW thanks for thé feedback. I knew pulock has way more upside but did not know the other 2 young guys were so poorly regarded.

While MattyW is correct that Pulock has the highest potential (mostly offensive potential), he's just dead wrong about Pelech and Mayfield. It sounds like the poster never played defense in hockey growing up.

Pelech and Mayfield may never dazzle you but are good young Dmen, playing admittedly a few more minutes per night than they should right now (for a team trying to win the cup). Arizona should love to have either to grow with their team. Again, Pulock DOES have more value but Pelech and Mayfield are two good young dmen also.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Hmm, I do not watch a lot of Isles games. It would be good to hear views from a few additional knowledgeable Isles fans.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Hmm, I do not watch a lot of Isles games. It would be good to hear views from a few additional knowledgeable Isles fans.

MattyW is scapegoating Pelech & Mayfield too much. They're not awful players but with deHaan & Boychuk going down it's hard to rely on young defenseman for heavy NHL minutes. Having Leddy/Pelech/Mayfield/Pulock/Hickey/Aho as our top 6 is a solid #1D and then distribute minutes amongst the kids and Hickey.

Reactions: IODCPiper

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
Pulock has much more upside (and shows improvement almost every game) but right now Pelech is the steadiest of the three, and Mayfield is pretty solid, too. Neither of those two will light it up offensively, but if they weren't forced into larger roles due to injuries, they'd be good 3rd liners. Right now they are being forced to take on too many minutes.

Reactions: IODCPiper

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Agree with Ducky....looks like foundation for a deal. Nice job RT.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
I don't particularly care for it. Not to mention with the Coyotes' ongoing money issues and a rising cap floor I'd expect more deals for cap hits with little or at least less real money than retention of any substantial amount.

MattyW

Jul 28, 2005
Strong Island
The NYI fans defending Pelech and Mayfield clearly aren't watching the same games I am. Check the advanced stats. Check the possession numbers. Look at Leddy's -22 because he's been paired with these blackholes.

This is the worst defense in the NHL for a reason; they are playing minor leaguers who cannot step up to fill the holes. But what's worse is the fact they were given multi-year extensions. The worst defense in the NHL is now locked in long-term for the next three years at least. It's a complete joke and it's ruined what could have been an exciting season.

The majority of NYI fans on this site cannot look past the biases of the team's young players and the hope that they might develop more in the future. Pelech and Mayfield would be throw-ins in any deal, not significant pieces in the least.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
To ARI:
- both first round picks in 2018
- Brock Nelson
- Thomas Hickey
- Adam Pelech
- Alan Quine
- Shane Prince
- Josh Ho-Sang

To NYI:
- Oliver Ekman-Larsen
- Niklas Hjalmarson

================================

If not acceptable, OEL must be part of any deal-so make me an offer...

In terms of food, here's what you just offered:

To ARI:
-$40 gift card to Applebees
-Large box of cotton balls
-A Twinkie
-Apple/cinnamon granola bar
-Week old California Roll
-Small portion of basmati rice
-24-pack Red Bull (Sugarfree)

To NYI:
-All you can eat at Franklin BBQ
-New York Cheesecake from Junior's

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
In terms of food, here's what you just offered:

To ARI:
-$40 gift card to Applebees
-Large box of cotton balls
-A Twinkie
-Apple/cinnamon granola bar
-Week old California Roll
-Small portion of basmati rice
-24-pack Red Bull (Sugarfree)

To NYI:
-All you can eat at Franklin BBQ
-New York Cheesecake from Junior's

Admittedly it might seem a bit off, but there is a good chance both of those guys are walking from ARI next year as FAs, so they don't have a lot of leverage.

At this point, having reconsidered the two players, we need better defensive defensemen so I'd rather go after Hjalmarsen who can be had for a more reasonable price than OEL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad