Waived: [NYI] Andrew Ladd (cleared)

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
maybe the GMs/teams shouldn't hand out stupid ****ing contracts

I agree. But if you look it was 2 years ago during free agency when these GMs started handing out ridiculous salaries, that in itself set the market.

Or the signing of Tavares I'm sorry but he clearly hasn't earned that type of salary .
If he was coming off a season of leading the isles to a Stanley cup etc than maybe.

Toews and Kane didn't get their big payday right away not until their final contract in which they have 3 rings .

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Why would LA do this?
Why Would Vancouver?
New York would

No way NY would take Kovalchuk. Islanders play a game completely centered around defense and it's a team wide effort. Judging by Kings fans, Kovalchuk still has it, but is never on the same page as everyone else on the ice. That's the antithesis, the antiTrotz if you will, of Islanders hockey.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Why would Melynk want that salary an extra year though? Ladd isn't hurt or LTIRed (as of now) so insurance isn't gonna pay him, that money would come from Melnyk's pockets.

Because Ladd is actually owed 12 million of actual $ in the next 3 years while Ryan is owed 15 million of actual $ in 2 more years.

I don’t think Isles do it - Ryan has a NMC so not possible to bury him and you must protect him in expansion -

Jan 21, 2018
LOL.
Probably not this year, we like our captain.

Yea I just meant that it’s pretty shocking to see a team that signed Ladd to a terrible contract make the same mistake with Lee. Isles are winning now so it’s a moo point.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Yea I just meant that it’s pretty shocking to see a team that signed Ladd to a terrible contract make the same mistake with Lee. Isles are winning now so it’s a moo point.
Big difference is that Ladd had a lot of wear and tear on his body when Snow gave him his nyi deal , including back surgery.
I do not like the term on Lee's deal and
think his agent squeezed and extra 1-2 yrs out of a desperate Lou

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
No way NY would take Kovalchuk. Islanders play a game completely centered around defense and it's a team wide effort. Judging by Kings fans, Kovalchuk still has it, but is never on the same page as everyone else on the ice. That's the antithesis, the antiTrotz if you will, of Islanders hockey.

that's a fair take, but I imagine Kovalchuk would be desirable to Islanders when Ladd is going out the other way as it only has one more year left on his deal. Kovalchuk definitely does not play good defensive hockey that I think of when it comes to trotz but then again neither did Ovechkin. Ovechkin is >>>>than Kovalchuk but they play a similar game. Just look at Kovalchuk's PP goal against Calgary.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Big difference is that Ladd had a lot of wear and tear on his body when Snow gave him his nyi deal , including back surgery.
I do not like the term on Lee's deal and
think his agent squeezed and extra 1-2 yrs out of a desperate Lou
Back Injury, multiple knee injuries-versus a broken leg from a shot, 33 instead of 29, 946 games versus 442-they are practically twins!

Reactions: CREW99AW

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Sounds like it is more for a conditioning stint than anything. Wouldn't count him out. Always liked him. He has two SC rings with two different teams and has a good career.

Reactions: steveat

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
That 2016 UFA class is seriously unreal.

I mean it’s not surprising but just...damn. Lol.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
A perfect example of why there will be another lockout soon. Teams have to realise that by now players decline much earlier than before, so handing out these massive deals to players in the late 20s is more often than not a terrible mistake.
I don't think there will be a lockout over this. You can see from this past year that older players are not getting the contracts (for the most part) as in prior years. Owners can't exactly ask players to stop signing the contracts they offer them. If anything, they add some more compliance buyouts here and there to correct their mistakes. With the 50/50 split of revenues, I can't see the owners looking for another lockout.

Nov 24, 2006
5AU-yaCj.jpg

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Sounds like it is more for a conditioning stint than anything. Wouldn't count him out. Always liked him. He has two SC rings with two different teams and has a good career.
Don't need waiver for a conditioning stint.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Can you apply 50% retention on future signing bonuses? If not, no point retaining on the peanuts base salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad