Waived: [NYI] Andrew Ladd (cleared)

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Nielsen just needed a phone call, but Snow could not walk and chew gum at the same time. Cheaper and more effective than Ladd.

18 Games - 0 goals and 0 assists with a 42.8% faceoff percentage does not scream more effective than anyone.

davinhimself

Nov 9, 2009
Queens, NY
With a cap hit of $5.5m,but with $4m in actual salary to be paid out, a cash strapped team would not be turned off by Ladd's contract.
Let's not pretend teams do not play cap tricks.

And I have already posted I doubt Lou finds a taker for Ladd. Isles owners have shown a willingness to spend. If they badly need cap space in another couple seasons, I am confident they will ok buying him out of the last 2 seasons.

Remember the Isles trading for Tim Thomas to save $??
Tim Thomas Traded from Bruins to Islanders: Why Deal Makes Sense for Both Sides

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
With a cap hit of $5.5m,but with $4m in actual salary to be paid out, a cash strapped team would not be turned off by Ladd's contract.
Let's not pretend teams do not play cap tricks.

And I have already posted I doubt Lou finds a taker for Ladd. Isles owners have shown a willingness to spend. If they badly need cap space in another couple seasons, I am confident they will ok buying him out of the last 2 seasons.

lol no one is taking on that crap unless you are feeding them a 1st + as a sweetener. Be realistic!

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Yes, Wang and Snow were kings of cap floor tricks.

I actually believe Islanders were already over the cap with their tricks without Thomas. Thomas gave them insurance that they could dump players at the trade deadline if they wanted but the fact the Islanders made the playoffs that year made it a moot point

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
that's a fair take, but I imagine Kovalchuk would be desirable to Islanders when Ladd is going out the other way as it only has one more year left on his deal. Kovalchuk definitely does not play good defensive hockey that I think of when it comes to trotz but then again neither did Ovechkin. Ovechkin is >>>>than Kovalchuk but they play a similar game. Just look at Kovalchuk's PP goal against Calgary.

I feel like if Kovalchuk was willing to work in a system, he wouldn't be told he's a permanent healthy scratch. I could see your point if it was a young guy having problems learning a 2oo foot game, but this is a guy who knows it and just doesn't want to do it anymore. I just can't see him be anything but a healthy scratch most nights on our current roster.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
lol no one is taking on that crap unless you are feeding them a 1st + as a sweetener. Be realistic!
What part of Isles are not in cap trouble goes over your head?
What part of Ladd can provide mentoring and leadership in Bridgeport is too difficult to understand?

Finally , with the isles owners willing to spend, did I not already post my opinion he would be bought out if the team needs his cap space?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
would NYI retain a bit to move ladd for eriksson who has a 6m cap hit but 1 less year?
They’d do the same thing with Loui as they’re doing with Ladd so basically no use to trade for a guy they’ll just bury in the AHL.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
What part of Isles are not in cap trouble goes over your head?
What part of Ladd can provide mentoring and leadership in Bridgeport is too difficult to understand?

Finally , with the isles owners willing to spend, did I not already post my opinion he would be bought out if the team needs his cap space?

You clearly missed the point. Thinking you can trade Ladd to a team wanting cap trickery is laughable and completely absurd!

Enjoy Ladd for 3 more years after this one!

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
You clearly missed the point. Thinking you can trade Ladd to a team wanting cap trickery is laughable and completely absurd!

Enjoy Ladd for 3 more years after this one!

Geez. Do you bother to read other fans post at all?:popcorn:
I posted in this thread I doubt Lou finds a taker for Ladd and I expect a buyout a couple seasons from now.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
That one wasn't really about saving money, as they were well above the cap floor without him. It was more about having the flexibility to sell whoever they wanted to at the deadline without having to worry about dropping below the floor. In the end they never needed his cap hit to stay above the floor at any point.

I do sometimes wonder if the there was tacit favor owed to the Islanders as well that was fulfilled in the Islanders getting Boychuck for a very reasonable price a year later.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
That one wasn't really about saving money, as they were well above the cap floor without him. It was more about having the flexibility to sell whoever they wanted to at the deadline without having to worry about dropping below the floor. In the end they never needed his cap hit to stay above the floor at any point.

I do sometimes wonder if the there was tacit favor owed to the Islanders as well that was fulfilled in the Islanders getting Boychuck for a very reasonable price a year later.
You make an interesting comment on Boychuk. I had not thought about him being a factor in the salary dump.

But, I do recall after the Leddy & Boychuk trades, Snow saying he had laid the groundwork for those trades months before.
I assumed he meant talking to the Chicago & Boston GMs, telling them of his interest if Leddy/Boychuk became available.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
You make an interesting comment on Boychuk. I had not thought about him being a factor in the salary dump.

But, I do recall after the Leddy & Boychuk trades, Snow saying he had laid the groundwork for those trades months before.
I assumed he meant talking to the Chicago & Boston GMs, telling them of his interest if Leddy/Boychuk became available.
With Leddy it may even have been the Regin/PMB trade, which helped Chicago fill out depth for a cup run for only a 4th rounder. Not that they were worth much more than that, but it's possible that Garth made the negotiations easy in order to try to start conversations on potentially "helping" Chicago out with the Leddy situation later on. But either way, it wouldn't surprise me if both moves were to make a relation with these teams about to be up against the cap and to hopefully be first to be contacted when they needed to cut salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad