Waived: [NYI] Andrew Ladd (cleared)

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Whoa, that makes me kind of sad
He was our #1LW and captain for years - I'd definitely try him out in the bottom 6 if it wasn't for that contract

I honestly think it has to do with health. The guys knee and back are finished. Just can’t keep up in today’s nhl. He also hasn’t been able to stay healthy. There’s just no place for him on this current isles team.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018 and BHD

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
That 2016 free agency class sure was something, wasn’t it?

Ladd for 7 years- waived and awful
Lucic for 7 years- traded and awful
Nielsen for 6 years- Wings worst forward this season
Backes for 5 years- scratched and awful
Eriksson for 6 years- scratched and awful
Okoposo for 7 years- mediocre at best
Brower for 4 years- bought out and awful
Reimer for 5 years- bought out and awful

edit: Reimer was actually traded for Darling (who was then bought out...)

yikes

Last edited:

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS

yikes

Absolutely atrocious. We pretty much all saw it, but teams lined up. For the record, I would have offered Eriksson a contract at the time. Thought he'd have been a decent fit in Montreal. Of all the guys to fall off the rails, he was the least expected for me.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

yikes
Reimer was traded, not bought out, still only doing ok at best

Reactions: Unsustainable

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
IMO aside from the Vanek trade this was Garth's worst move. He buckled under the fan pressure of "SIGN SOMEONE!!!" and the best he could do was Ladd. Unfortunate.

It was a tough spot to be in because Okposo and Nielsen had already been snatched up early in the day, right? I can see how bad it would've looked had the NYI lost their best free agents and come away empty handed.

I cant help but wonder how it would've worked out for player and team if Okposo had just stayed with the NYI. Obviously his numbers took a hit (though less steep) as soon as he got to Buffalo. One of those "what if" kind of moments.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
This is a move pretty much all NYI fans expected. Now, it's possible that the gets into good enough shape to play a 4th line role. But I doubt even that's a possibility beyond this year.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Absolutely atrocious. We pretty much all saw it, but teams lined up. For the record, I would have offered Eriksson a contract at the time. Thought he'd have been a decent fit in Montreal. Of all the guys to fall off the rails, he was the least expected for me.
I wanted homegrown favorites KO & Frans Nielsen to get nyi extensions. Bummer to see them both struggling

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

I knew from day one that Nielsen was overpaid but I thought he would be at least a good 3rd line C for the duration of the contract. He’s been brutal this year with two more to go after this one..

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not surprising will be interesting to see how long before he gets back up to the NHL. I don't think he is done at the NHL level.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I feel bad for Ladd, he was such a great player and captain for us but the sports hernia he got he never recovered from.

Good on him for getting his big ticket though.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
@DaleTallon

AntiqueTautArmyant-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: davinhimself

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Ladd for Ryan with some light retention on Ryan makes a lot of sense.

-Ottawa moves on from the baggage of Bobby Ryan.
-Ottawa saves money.

-The Islanders get a player who might play in their top 9 for a player they sent to the AHL.
-The Islanders would have to value the tradeoff or one less year of term for a slightly higher AAV.

Throw Dal Colle and Boedker into the trade. Have Ottawa retain the equivalent of Boedker's remaining salary as extra retention on Ryan. Dal Colle would be a throw in who the Sens might value because of his relationship with DJ Smith.

Taking Boedker allows the Islanders to use their banked cap space for this season which they won't use all of to lower Ryan's cap hit in years 2 and 3. Let's say Ottawa retains an extra 1M per year of cap since Boedker's salary going to NYI cancels that out for them.

Both sides get what they want.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Ladd for Ryan with some light retention on Ryan makes a lot of sense.

-Ottawa moves on from the baggage of Bobby Ryan.
-Ottawa saves money.

-The Islanders get a player who might play in their top 9 for a player they sent to the AHL.
-The Islanders would have to value the tradeoff or one less year of term for a slightly higher AAV.

Throw Dal Colle and Boedker into the trade. Have Ottawa retain the equivalent of Boedker's remaining salary as extra retention on Ryan. Dal Colle would be a throw in who the Sens might value because of his relationship with DJ Smith.

Taking Boedker allows the Islanders to use their banked cap space for this season which they won't use all of to lower Ryan's cap hit in years 2 and 3. Let's say Ottawa retains an extra 1M per year of cap since Boedker's salary going to NYI cancels that out for them.

Both sides get what they want.
Why would Melynk want that salary an extra year though? Ladd isn't hurt or LTIRed (as of now) so insurance isn't gonna pay him, that money would come from Melnyk's pockets.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

edit: Reimer was actually traded for Darling (who was then bought out...)

yikes

Every Canuck fan wishes Eriksson was scratched. Green has a habit of keeping him in the lineup lately...

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I remember the year after Chicago won their 3rd cup trying to make another run Stan traded for Ladd and Ladd was a bust.

The nhl really needs to clean up and fix it's contracts in the next CBA, their are way to many declining aging overpaid and maxed out players hanging around watering down the nhl.

Most players decline at 30 -31 years old
Some drop off at 28
The point here is put these players on max 3 year contracts and don't pay these guys ridiculous salaries knowing full well 7 out of 10 times these guys go mia .

Look at karlsson in San Jose not the same player he once was not even close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad