Waived: [NYI] Andrew Ladd (cleared)

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

From MTL perspective: I've soured on Byron and Alzner is terrible. Ladd could add some physicality on the 4th line. Biggest question is his foot speed

For NYI Perspective: No idea if it works for them. Byron is an upgrade on Ladd but Byron + Alzner have a higher cap hit than Ladd

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I'm amazed Ottawa didn't claim him, tbh. They need help covering salary.

Ladd may look a bit interesting come July 2. 3 years 9M in actual salary 5.5M in caphit(a ryan for Ladd deal might look good for both sides even though Ryan is probably better)

Reactions: deflowd

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Because Ladd is actually owed 12 million of actual $ in the next 3 years while Ryan is owed 15 million of actual $ in 2 more years.

I don’t think Isles do it - Ryan has a NMC so not possible to bury him and you must protect him in expansion -

I don’t think it’s a good trade proposal, but Ryan doesn’t have to be protected in an expansion draft. We already learned that in the Vegas expansion.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Last I checked Ottawa had salary covered.

Ladd's contract is one of those that you pay less then the caphit since it was front loaded and we now on the backend, I believe Ryan's salary and caphit are equal

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The post I quoted that you subsequently quoted made no mention of Ryan.

My mistake, Ryan has been mentioned a few times in this thread but in what you were arguing yeah I don't see any need for Ottawa to claim Ladd, even if he can help them get over the cap min in the future despite his salary. If the Sens wanted to use Ladd's caphit to get him over they cap the would be better served to wait for the Islanders to give him another 3M bonus on July 1 thus only having 9M over 3 years(compared to ~12.75M over 3 1/2 years)

Reactions: mouser

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
This is a move pretty much all NYI fans expected. Now, it's possible that the gets into good enough shape to play a 4th line role. But I doubt even that's a possibility beyond this year.
this is a move pretty much all NYI fans HOPED FOR....there is a huge difference. in the past, a 5.5mm cap hit all but confirmed this player was in the lineup every night.

new ownership, new GM, new coach...we are icing the best possible team

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Stop being so critical of Andrew! He's been a fine replacement for Kyle Okposo!

As a Sabres fan it hurts to even joke about it...

Still, two trend setters, who taught GM's to look to pay for the future and not the past.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Man, i knew Ladd was bad but not even an NHLer any more? Jeez.

It more a case that he has been injured for a long time and needs more conditioning. My guess is he finds his way back into the lineup when he looks better or goes back on LTIR

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
any other contract space you want to clear alongside that disaster of a defenseman and a 3rd line winger?

For Ladd that’s a steal for the Isles. Ladd has an extra year compared ti Alzner and neither are nhl quality players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->