Waived: [NYI] Andrew Ladd (cleared)

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
For Ladd that’s a steal for the Isles. Ladd has an extra year compared ti Alzner and neither are nhl quality players.
Isles with a glut of blueliners between the nhl & ahl teams, should have zero interest in the slow skating Alzner.
Ladd can at worst provide mentoring and leadership in Bridgeport.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Taking on bad contracts is worth trade compensation. Why would Ottawa do that for free?
Because while Ladd's caphit is $5.5m per, his actual salary paid is about $4m per.
Not saying I expect Lou to find a taker for Ladd, but some cash strapped team would like that type of cap trick.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Man, i knew Ladd was bad but not even an NHLer any more? Jeez.

That’s not really the case, he just hasn’t played a lot in the last 12 months and the Islanders have a lot of depth and are winning games right now.

If Ladd can prove he can stay healthy and produce in the AHL, he’ll see time with the Islanders when injuries hit or depth begins to struggle. I have no doubt he can probably he a solid 3rd/4th liner even if he’s overpaid.

Reactions: CREW99AW

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Isles with a glut of blueliners between the nhl & ahl teams, should have zero interest in the slow skating Alzner.
Ladd can at worst provide mentoring and leadership in Bridgeport.

The objective is to dump the worse contract (Ladd). Alzner is mentoring youth in the A and has a one year less at lower cap

As a Habs fan I wouldn’t touch this trade. Ladd is nuclear waste.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The objective is to dump the worse contract (Ladd). Alzner is mentoring youth in the A and has a one year less at lower cap

Nuclear waste? Ok.

I thought he was an oft injured, overpaid winger in a franchise that has no cap issues. One who has helped win a couple of cups and can at worst provide leadership and mentoring to the ahl kids, but you go with that nuclear waste silliness

Reactions: Barzaltrick

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Nuclear waste? Ok.

I thought he was an oft injured, overpaid winger in a franchise that has no cap issues. One who has helped win a couple of cups and can at worst provide leadership and mentoring to the ahl kids, but you go with that nuclear waste silliness:popcorn:

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Nuclear waste? Ok.

I thought he was an oft injured, overpaid winger in a franchise that has no cap issues. One who has helped win a couple of cups and can at worst provide leadership and mentoring to the ahl kids, but you go with that nuclear waste silliness:popcorn:

you can admit a player is bad rhst iscsllowed you know

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Nuclear waste? Ok.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
For Ladd that’s a steal for the Isles. Ladd has an extra year compared ti Alzner and neither are nhl quality players.
I'd rather send Ladd off in return for a pick then add in Byron as well ($8.025 combined through 22-23). That's giving the Isles an additional $2.78m a year for the next 2 to add into spots they have a surplus of. Byron wouldn't leap anyone on the depth chart in the top 9 and has no shot to upset the 4th line. He'd sit in the press box along with Johnston, Komarov and Kuhnhackl (when healthy). Alzer is another disaster in the making. He'd just be clogging up a spot in the AHL for a kid who deserves a shot. Montreal should look at swaping Alzner for Griffin Reinhart of Kunlun Red Star.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I still cant believe he got a 7 year deal. More power to him for getting that payday in 2016, but good lord.

Oh you can't believe it...?

610x14.jpg

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The smartest man in the room. No offer to either Nielsen or Okposo, but he signs the ghost of Trigger.

In fairness the Nielsen/Okposo contracts would have been equally as bad.

The real problem was not having a plan in place to address their impending free agency, and also blowing tons of top 5 draft picks so there was no one to replace them when they became FAs.

Reactions: leeroggy

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I don’t think it’s a good trade proposal, but Ryan doesn’t have to be protected in an expansion draft. We already learned that in the Vegas expansion.

he has a NMC- why wouldn’t he need to be protected?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
he has a NMC- why wouldn’t he need to be protected?
Never mind did some digging and found my answer.

Just to answer for the readers: NMC's can protect against one or more of three things:

A) Trades
B) Waivers
C) Being Loaned to the AHL

The NHL/PA decided for the expansion draft that only players with protection against (B) Waivers had to be protected. Ryan's NMC only protects against (C) Being Loaned, not against (B) Waivers.

Reactions: SI

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Shocked he cleared :sarcasm:

In all honesty though is this Lous way of seeing if Ladd will eventually get tired of bus rides and walk away from the remained of his deal?

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Shocked he cleared.

In all honesty though is this Lous way of seeing if Ladd will eventually get tired of bus rides and walk away from the remained of his deal?

This is just my speculation but Lou is setting up to LTIR Ladd when they need his caphit. As it stands now they say he still needs more conditioning since he isn't back to 100% since his injury

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Nuclear waste? Ok.

What he is us now is nuclear waste. What he was in the past is irrelevant.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Because while Ladd's caphit is $5.5m per, his actual salary paid is about $4m per.
Not saying I expect Lou to find a taker for Ladd, but some cash strapped team would like that type of cap trick.

That is absurd! No team would take Ladd as an asset. That is smoking something fierce!

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

The real problem was not having a plan in place to address their impending free agency, and also blowing tons of top 5 draft picks so there was no one to replace them when they became FAs.
Nielsen just needed a phone call, but Snow could not walk and chew gum at the same time. Cheaper and more effective than Ladd.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
What he is us now is nuclear waste. What he was in the past is irrelevant.
Read my posts again. Slower this time.
1. Isles are not in cap trouble.
2. Ladd, with 2 SC's can provide leadership and mentoring to the ahl kids .

He is coming off a 2nd knee surgery and has $12m more in actual cash due.
If he is not healthy enough or productive enough to help the nhl club, that is playing well, then I have no problem with him being a player/ coach in Bridgeport.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
That is absurd! No team would take Ladd as an asset. That is smoking something fierce!

With a cap hit of $5.5m,but with $4m in actual salary to be paid out, a cash strapped team would not be turned off by Ladd's contract.
Let's not pretend teams do not play cap tricks.

And I have already posted I doubt Lou finds a taker for Ladd. Isles owners have shown a willingness to spend. If they badly need cap space in another couple seasons, I am confident they will ok buying him out of the last 2 seasons.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

When Garth passes away the tombstone needs to read: 5th Overall Was His Waterloo

Reactions: davinhimself

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->