Waived: [NYI] Andrew Ladd (cleared)

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Why would Melynk want that salary an extra year though? Ladd isn't hurt or LTIRed (as of now) so insurance isn't gonna pay him, that money would come from Melnyk's pockets.

The structure of Ladd's contract makes it so that he is owed significantly less total salary than Ryan. That's a good trade off. One extra year of bad cap to save millions. Unless the Sens genuinely expect to spend to the cap (which is still up in the air) that extra year of cap doesn't matter that much.

DirkStarlight

Jan 22, 2011
I remember the year after Chicago won their 3rd cup trying to make another run Stan traded for Ladd and Ladd was a bust.

The nhl really needs to clean up and fix it's contracts in the next CBA, their are way to many declining aging overpaid and maxed out players hanging around watering down the nhl.

Most players decline at 30 -31 years old
Some drop off at 28
The point here is put these players on max 3 year contracts and don't pay these guys ridiculous salaries knowing full well 7 out of 10 times these guys go mia .

Look at karlsson in San Jose not the same player he once was not even close.

That's not the NHLs problem. The NHLPA would never allow it either. If teams are willing to spend that much money on these kinds of players, that's on them. Teams are starting to figure out it doesn't make sense to give 30+ year old players 7 years. Example off the top of my head is Simmonds. Yeah he's paid 5 million, but it's only 1 year. Until you see the guy play and if he's got anything left, just go 2 or 3 years.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I remember the year after Chicago won their 3rd cup trying to make another run Stan traded for Ladd and Ladd was a bust.

The nhl really needs to clean up and fix it's contracts in the next CBA, their are way to many declining aging overpaid and maxed out players hanging around watering down the nhl.

Most players decline at 30 -31 years old
Some drop off at 28
The point here is put these players on max 3 year contracts and don't pay these guys ridiculous salaries knowing full well 7 out of 10 times these guys go mia .

Look at karlsson in San Jose not the same player he once was not even close.
maybe the GMs/teams shouldn't hand out stupid f***ing contracts

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Absolutely atrocious. We pretty much all saw it, but teams lined up. For the record, I would have offered Eriksson a contract at the time. Thought he'd have been a decent fit in Montreal. Of all the guys to fall off the rails, he was the least expected for me.

After those concussions, Eriksson was never the same. Injuries bit that draft year pretty hard.

Reactions: BLNY

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Ladd went down for more conditioning.

He's missed 56 games last year and hasn't played yet this year. He literally just got the green light to play normal hockey.

To the Islanders, this means he needs more than a handful of games to get back into game-shape..so what to do?

If they waive MDC (who is currently replacing him when he was on IR), he will surely get picked up. A big body that is young...not the fastest, but reliable and can be trusted to play a 2-way game.

This waive does not mean he's finished, but what is he supposed to do...sit in the box? He has to work on getting back.

It's just a normal business move..those that own their own companies on this forum would understand what I mean.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
That 2016 free agency class sure was something, wasn’t it?

Ladd for 7 years- waived and awful
Lucic for 7 years- traded and awful
Nielsen for 6 years- Wings worst forward this season
Backes for 5 years- scratched and awful
Eriksson for 6 years- scratched and awful
Okoposo for 7 years- mediocre at best
Brower for 4 years- bought out and awful
Reimer for 5 years- bought out and awful

edit: Reimer was actually traded for Darling (who was then bought out...)

yikes
For all the flak the Rangers get for bad free agent signings, they didn't end up with any of these clunkers at least!

Reactions: nbwingsfan

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Jeebus.. you just got rid of lucic

Lucic was a $6 million cap hit, Ladd with retention would be $2.75 million. That's decent for a bottom 6 player and his leadership/experience. Edmonton has a young roster and zero depth scoring. I think it could be a good pickup.

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
He was done even in his last season with Winnipeg. That was a shockingly bad contract. 7 years 38.5M$ for a guy who was already done? The only explanation is that Snow hadn't even seen him play. It was just stunning.
that was a Ledecky panic move for missing out on Stamkos

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
maybe the GMs/teams shouldn't hand out stupid ****ing contracts

Easier said than done. For one, every team has to reach the floor. It's not just a handful of teams handing out the crazy contracts like prior to 2005. Since every team is obsessed with having productive players on their ELC, to reach the floor you end up having to get the only guys that tend to be available; the late 20's/early 30's UFA. If you haven't put all your eggs into the 2nd contract basket for a couple players, you're going to end up with a lot of empty cap space. Pretty much every GM is desperate for talent, and the big advantage of UFA's is that you don't have to give up assets to get them. Maybe you will down the line, like Toronto with Marleau, but how often is the GM going to be around for years 5, 6, or 7 of the big UFA contract? They really only want years 1, 2, and maybe 3, but they have to pay for 5, 6, and 7, because there's probably at least one other GM who is as desperate as you are for talent at that moment, thus the bidding war.

Players/agents have the leverage in individual contract negotiations. The owners have the leverage when it comes to the overall CBA's. GMs get caught in between, and sort of get screwed.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
If he was making 1-2.5 less this would be a different story I feel. I think he’s still good for 20-30 points for sure.
Uh, your figures were close, but thats not how much LESS that would make his price tolerable, thats what his SALARY or cap hit should be for anyone to take him anymore.

Honestly, Ladd isnt worth more than $2.5 mil per anymore as a veteran player. Hes the kind of guy that takes 1 year, $1-1.5 mil annual deals to keep his career alive and help a potential contender

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

yikes

Wait, Reimer got 5 years? I forgot about that. :biglaugh:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
is Chiarelli still around?

Is Ladd truly done? I thought he was healthy and just completed a conditioning stint.

I always liked him in Winnipeg. I do realize he’s no longer a top 6 option. I just think if motivated and healthy I’d like to see what he could do in a bottom 6 role.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

yikes

I think this is proof why you should never invest in a player that's not, and never really was, elite for that long, at that age.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
It’s too bad there aren’t sports books that let you bet on whether or not a player will clear waivers or get claimed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad