Nurse extension still possible?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Werenski just extended for 6 years, $9.583 AAV.

Nurse is taking Holland to the cleaners.

That's messed up that Columbus couldn't get 8 years with that AAV. Definitely gives Nurse great arguments for his 4 year deal now, instead of having to try to compare to 8 year deals. Friggin Chicago and Columbus just trashing the D market.

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
The probable players coming off of the books after next season are Archibald, Turris, Russell, and Koskinen.

Nurse will probably get Koskinen's money.

Jesse or Yam might be moved out if the cap gets too tight.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I remember when he was a year away from rfa and I said they should sign him to Klefbom deal while they can and I got shot down by many saying he was to dumb of a player etc etc . And my argument was great skating dmen with size rarely fail and will only get better , Watch Hanifin make that jump to next level now

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Nurse had a better year then both Jones and Werenski. Hopefully he doesn’t get greedy and settles for 8.
Relative to the competition. We played in the weakest division. Werenski was a star since he entered the league. Jones was a player who could control the pace of a game since he entered the league. Nurse broke out during a year where we dominated Ottawa and Vancouver got sick. Nurse did this playing with 2 superstar players and a D partner that lead the league in scoring by a defenceman. Nurse deserves 8 million. If he gives a hometown discount he takes a fraction less or gives the team a beneficial term at around 8 million.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Comparables at even strength since 16/17 Werenski rookie season Nurse gp 335 126 ES PTS Werenski gp 335 125ES PTS He will be 9 million dman

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Comparables at even strength since 16/17 Werenski rookie season Nurse gp 335 126 ES PTS Werenski gp 335 125ES PTS He will be 9 million dman
You can't do that number. If that's an ultimatum you should trade now and make the best of the assets you get in return.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Werenski just extended for 6 years, $9.583 AAV.

Nurse is taking Holland to the cleaners.

This is exactly what I thought.

This is why I like early long term deal for your core. Over pay early but win in the long run. The CBa is skewed to allow you to mitigate mistakes. But if you always wait until a player is in teh driver seat you tend to pay full retail at best.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I feel like Chicago signed Seth Jones to a stupid amount of money and CBJ in reaction are like Werenski you're better than him and you want to stay unlike him so we'll one up that contract. I'd prefer to treat those at outliers rather than a proper depiction of what d-men of that caliber should be making.

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
Because Nurse only wants to extend for 4 years (until the end of McDavid's contract), will that affect his AAV?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I feel like Chicago signed Seth Jones to a stupid amount of money and CBJ in reaction are like Werenski you're better than him and you want to stay unlike him so we'll one up that contract. I'd prefer to treat those at outliers rather than a proper depiction of what d-men of that caliber should be making.
I don’t disagree. It’s funny that Werenski’s AAV is just a tad higher than Jones’s.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Nurse was a beast last year and in some ways outshone those other $9M comparables. He is going to be expensive and deservedly so. I can't see him accepting anything short of $9M - he's close to free agency and DMan salaries are escalating... Good problem to have - a super talented player - but it is going to cost big.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Most important stat for Nurse - 4th in NHL in average Time on Ice / Game.

He would get 9+M AAV on the open market, no problem. If he were to repeat the season he just had, a team could show up with a 10M AAV x 7 year offer - no doubt in my mind.

On a 4 year extension, I think they need to pay him between 8.5M and 9.0M.

The argument that he shouldn't be paid more than Draisaitl is ridiculous. Look at the Avs. After signing Landeskog and Makar, Nathan MacKinnon is the 4th highest paid player on that team. Contacts are signed when they are signed. Draisaitl took the security of a long term deal, just like MacKinnon did. They left money on the table. Nurse has gone shorter term on each contract. ELC, 2 years, 2 years. He is going to cash in on his UFA seasons. This strategy worked well for him.

I have no issue with him getting close to 9M on his extension. Less than that and he's leaving $ on the table to remain in Edmonton. Anything below 8M would be a miracle...and he should fire his agent.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
His agent and Holland, according to Friedman, are working on a 4 year deal, which would expire the same time as McDavid's
Report: Edmonton Oilers, Darnell Nurse working on four-year contract extension

And since it's half the max term, and will expire when he's still maybe in his prime, the AAV should be lower than what seems the standard right now for top pairing defenseman (9m-10m). His characteristics as a person displays that he has more hunger to win instead of banking a few extra million, and maybe he probably realizes it's still a flat cap too. Maybe 4 yrs / 31M (7.75 AAV)?

Last edited:

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Also you can just get rid of Kass and play a rookie (i.e. Holloway) and feed that money difference to Nurse which would make up a raise to like 7.6M. That is most of it and then Russell/Turris coming off the books pays for the rest as well as the JP raise in all likelihood.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We’ve given him pay raises on a consistant basis with his time in Edmonton. No long term value contracts fit him, he got paid at market value every year. That has to count for some discount on the new contract right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad