Nurse extension still possible?

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
With Seth Jones extending with Chicago for an AAV of $9.5M, Nurse must be laughing all the way to the bank.

I'm figuring Nurse will want about the same.

Does the team have enough cap to extend Nurse going forward or will this force Holland to trade him?

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Nurse squeezed me to a sign and trade at 6m AAV.

Some teams just get good contracts with their players.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
No way, that's a failure of a contract. I'd be fine with 8-8.5M if he repeats last year, the Jones contract is the NHL equivalent of a reactor leak. The way it's structured is basically buyout proof - $5M signing bonuses right up to the last year, full NMC...

Bowman's press conference should be:
6f90609e9d42532d8edeac97e0cd9a428fce848f6177944899ba5b045b4db284.jpg

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The Jones contract hurts the Oilers in the comparable for sure. He probably shouldn't get more than Drai, but the Oilers aren't going to have much leverage on this one.

Just hope he wants to resign and stick around.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Given the Jones signing as a comparable Nurse is worth around 8 million at max term. Seth Jones is the better hockey player. He can control the pace and flow of a game. It would look good on Holland if he could get Darnell signed at a fraction under that. Nurse can't make more than Draisaitl.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Should have signed him after his first year where he struggled for as long a term and as much a cap as it would have taken to convince a first year player who struggled to sign. It was obvious he was going to be at least a Top 4 D in the NHL and a value contract could have been had. I said as such at the time and of course was shouted down for such a "risky" bet on an unproven player as people wanted to wait it out and see, instead of just making the call and going all-in for the savings. This is how value contracts happen, if you believe in the player, sign him before he proves you and everyone right for that belief. And now I await getting attacked by people saying "hOw WoULD yOU KnOw He WOULDA SigneD!?", I think considering his struggles that season, it's likely that with enough money and term he would have jumped at it. It's speculation on my part, but the Oilers never even tried.

With Jones signing a MONSTER contract today, it does not bode well for negotiations with Nurse. It should be considered that Chicago probably did overpay in an attempt to prevent Jones from exploring the market, and they went through years of trying to find and develop good d-men so there was a huge need there. They were also pot committed after bringing in Caleb Jones as well. Needless to say this was a deal and a player Chicago desperately needed and they kind of forced Jones to choose them. With Nurse, I am hoping him wanting be here and wanting to continue with this core helps us to some sort of hometown discount.

Oilers could also help the cause in the upcoming season by making a combination of Bouchard or Barrie (if he resigns) the defacto PP guys. Nurse is not the ideal PP guy anyways, and giving him gravy time on the PP is only going to lead to more production and more $$$. With Bouch and potentially Barrie there is no hockey reason for Nurse to be near the PP.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If Nurse plays like last year he can have $9 million. If he earns it, it’s a great problem to have to figure out.

We really really need to keep Nurse off the PP this coming year :) He easily could have lead the league in points this season if he got Barrie's PP time. Maybe even would have won the Norris. Either sign him now at 8x8, or play him less with McDavid with zero PP time next season, hehe.

Last edited:

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
It's definitely still possible, and quite frankly we should accept an overpay if necessary to keep him. I was hoping for 7.5x8, but this Seth Jones contract is annoying.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Jones is way better than Nurse. He had a down year.

Nurse should get around 8 AAV

We will probably see soon. I expect that he will be re signed shortly after he is eligible to

Wreckus

Feb 21, 2016
Nurse will definitely be re-signed.

My guess is 7 years @ 7.5/8 million AAV. I just don't want all the signing bonuses added on, could be a buyout nightmare down the road I think. Hopefully it doesn't happen though (buy out that is).

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Nurse is part of the core of the team, and usually re-ups are less expensive than open market deals, though this offseason this has flipped.

I’d go $8m for a player with his skillset

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
There's no way Nurse is an $9M D man on any other team in the league. I don't even think he's an $8M D but on this team, with the McDavid bump, he could argue he is, so I hope it's not too painful.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
There's no way Nurse is an $9M D man on any other team in the league. I don't even think he's an $8M D but on this team, with the McDavid bump, he could argue he is, so I hope it's not too painful.

It's the market for UFA years... Myers makes $6M, Trouba $8M, OEL $8.25M, Miro now $8.45M... Nurse should get $7.5M on a long-term deal at least.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
If Nurse finishes top 5 in Norris voting this coming season, I'm guessing he'll be getting minimum $8-$8.5M/yr.

The Heiskanen and Jones extensions have upped Doc's asking price.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Nurse might have had a career year so 7.5M-8M x 8 years is really what it should cost

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Nurse played some powerful hockey but his weaknesses still showed. No way he should be topping 8 million.

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
Makar just signed extension for 6 years/$54M. Buys one UFA year if I'm not mistaken. Worth every penny.

There's $$$ signs in Nurse's eyes ...

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Makar just signed extension for 6 years/$54M. Buys one UFA year if I'm not mistaken. Worth every penny.

There's $$$ signs in Nurse's eyes ...
Makar may be the premiere attacking D in the NHL but that's not a good deal for the Avalanche.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad