Nurse extension still possible?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I don't know what Nurse's camp is looking for, none of us do, but if the number is unreasonably high, anything over 8.5 million in my humble opinion, Ken Holland should be looking at adding Koskinen as a cap dump and see what you can get on the market.

If another team wants Nurse badly enough they can make their own arrangements to fit it all under the cap like Chicago did before acquiring Seth Jones. We'll quickly discover if any GM values Darnell Nurse as much as Stan Bowman coveted Jones. Maybe we take a lesser return for adding Koskinen but so be it. Cap space is an asset and you can't lose Darnell Nurse for nothing at the end of the season.

A long term goaltending solution and a couple of sweeteners along with a bunch of cap space makes sense moving forward. You can move those and our own players, picks and prospects to get a replacement defenceman.

I can't see the Edmonton Oilers winning a championship paying Darnell Nurse more than Leon Draisaitl but I can see them wining with an elite goalie and defence by committee.

Some will disagree, that's fair, but you need to explore moving Nurse before you give him a crazy contract that will place the organization between a rock and a hard place financially. Get as many assets in a transaction as possible then shuffle the team as necessary because you can win without Nurse being your number 1 defenceman.

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I don't know what Nurse's camp is looking for, none of us do, but if the number is unreasonably high, anything over 8.5 million in my humble opinion, Ken Holland should be looking at adding Koskinen as a cap dump and see what you can get on the market.

If another team wants Nurse badly enough they can make their own arrangements to fit it all under the cap like Chicago did before acquiring Seth Jones. We'll quickly discover if any GM values Darnell Nurse as much as Stan Bowman coveted Jones. Maybe we take a lesser return for adding Koskinen but so be it. Cap space is an asset and you can't lose Darnell Nurse for nothing at the end of the season.

A long term goaltending solution and a couple of sweeteners along with a bunch of cap space makes sense moving forward. You can move those and our own players, picks and prospects to get a replacement defenceman.

I can't see the Edmonton Oilers winning a championship paying Darnell Nurse More than Leon Draisaitl but I can see them wining with an elite goalie and defence by committee.

Some will disagree, that's fair, but you need to explore moving Nurse before you give him a crazy contract that will but the organization between a rock and a hard place financially. Get as many assets in a transaction as possible then shuffle the team as necessary because you can win without Nurse being your number 1 defenceman.
defense by committee with who? Without Nurse this is an AHL level Defense even after adding Broberg.

Nurse will easily get more than Draisaitl because he would be burning all UFA years and 9M seems to be the going rate. Walking away from Nurse would pretty much guarantee McDavid leaves first chance he gets as well.. I would take Smith\Stalock duo over left side of Keith\Broberg\Russell\Lagesson next season. Nurse is as much a core as Draisaitl.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
defense by committee with who? Without Nurse this is an AHL level Defense even after adding Broberg.

Nurse will easily get more than Draisaitl because he would be burning all UFA years and 9M seems to be the going rate. Walking away from Nurse would pretty much guarantee McDavid leaves first chance he gets as well.. I would take Smith\Stalock duo over left side of Keith\Broberg\Russell\Lagesson next season. Nurse is as much a core as Draisaitl.
If we have an AHL level defence, as you allude to, plus Nurse we aren't going anywhere regardless of Nurse being our only non AHL defenceman. You can't run your franchise on the supposition that anything will displease Connor McDavid. Connor McDavid wants to win and anything conducive towards making that happen should be the priority. Make the necessary moves to win even if that includes moving out Darnell Nurse.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
If we have an AHL level defence plus Nurse we aren't going anywhere regardless of Nurse being our only non AHL defenceman. You can't run your franchise on the supposition that anything will displease Connor McDavid. Connor McDavid wants to win and anything conductive towards making that happen should be the priority. Make the necessary moves to win even if that includes moving out Darnell Nurse.
We got to the playoffs very comfortably with Nurse+AHL defense last season. Smith was a huge reason but so was Nurse. Trading away Nurse is certainly not necessary and would certainly result in less wins. I am sure if McD had to pick between Drai and Nurse he would pick Nurse as someone who would help the team win more games going forward. Luckily we should be able to keep all 3 of them if we stop adding bad contracts.

Nurse will get a 3M raise next season and Holland would be stupid if he isnt already factoring that into his dealings.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Needless to say that bridge contract didnt work out well. 9M is likely the floor for whats hes asking for.

Reactions: Magnum23

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Needless to say that bridge contract didnt work out well. 9M is likely the floor for whats hes asking for.
likely floor and the ceiling. He can possibly demand more because he isnt at Werenski level and Jones has been a lot more proven. I am guessing 8.5Mx4 to match AAV with Draisaitl and term with McD.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
It comes down to Nurse making poor defensive reads at critical times. That's not an 8.5 - 9 million dollar defenceman.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
It comes down to Nurse making poor defensive reads at critical times. That's not an 8.5 - 9 million dollar defenceman.
because McDavid and Draisaitl never make mistakes? You can be a 9M Dman even if you arent perfect. +27 averaging over 25mins \ game without much PP time and scoring 29 ES points in a shortened season is all you can ask from a #1D who is just entering his prime. This is a 8.5-9M Dman

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
I doubted Nurse for a long time and I didn't think he would develop into anything close to a #1, but he did. At this point I would be happy with a 8 year deal, even if it's in the high 8s or 9s. It's steep, but he's worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magnum23

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
because McDavid and Draisaitl never make mistakes? You can be a 9M Dman even if you arent perfect. +27 averaging over 25mins \ game without much PP time and scoring 29 ES points in a shortened season is all you can ask from a #1D who is just entering his prime. This is a 8.5-9M Dman
This the thing about Nurse is he has gotten better every year he has been the NHL. This pattern almost always leads to a true number one d man during a large portion of their peak years. Steady improvement is a good sign and should not be taken lightly when viewing a developing stud d man.

BRM

Jul 31, 2003
You offer Nurse the same contact as Draisaitl as an extension right now. Yes or no.

If it’s no then package him and away he goes.

easiest negotiation ever.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
The players Paul CaPIZZAno managed aren't high profile players looking for big money. I'm willing to bet he's looking for stability than big money. So he could probably line up his extension parallel to McDavid's and leave at the same time.

5be3f4d41e.png

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
What ever Nurse gets, I hope it will be fair on both sides. Nurse deserves 9, he has taken several bridge deals to help the team. If he wants 9 million, give it to him. He definitely earned it. He is AWESOME on how much he has progressed. I''m so grateful he is here. I can never be more proud as a FAN in watching Nurse becoming a DOMINANT defencemen. Rolemodel, LEADER! I am as a FAN hav been overcritcal is his development , who am I judged the dedication he has shown this team. I hope Nurse is a lifetime oiler. He bleeds orange and blue. Hands down.

NURSE, I was completely wrong about you. Your playing like a Number 1. Number 1 defencemens get paid. fr

Edit:Respect. God Bless You.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
$8.5 x 8 he will stay right at Leon’s cap hit. Heavily signing bonus laden to help with the lower AAV.
I think 8.5 million per year is an overpay for Nurse but having him on board for 8 years could also potentially increase the chances of McDrai staying if we don't win a Cup by 2025 (which I don't think we will).

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
We got to the playoffs very comfortably with Nurse+AHL defense last season. Smith was a huge reason but so was Nurse. Trading away Nurse is certainly not necessary and would certainly result in less wins. I am sure if McD had to pick between Drai and Nurse he would pick Nurse as someone who would help the team win more games going forward. Luckily we should be able to keep all 3 of them if we stop adding bad contracts.

Nurse will get a 3M raise next season and Holland would be stupid if he isnt already factoring that into his dealings.

I'd love to know how much time Nurse spends with the Oilers' top forwards vs other top pairing D in the league. I bet it's a lot more than most.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The ideal is that if he really wants 9.0, sign for even 8.9 so the casual fans will see that 8 and think its a discount compared to the other recent UFA D signings.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The probable players coming off of the books after next season are Archibald, Turris, Russell, and Koskinen.

Nurse will probably get Koskinen's money.

Jesse or Yam might be moved out if the cap gets too tight.

How sad is that. This was our big opportunity to use 22 million in cap and now having picked up Keith next season we could lose Puljujarvi if we can’t afford his next contract

Reactions: Bruhin

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I swear if Keiths contract costs the Oilers Nurse, stuff is gonna go down. It’s already cost us a goalie upgrade.

It won’t and we will bridge Yamamoto for season start but if Puljujarvi were to have a monster breakout season we’d be screwed trying to get him signed next year.

Nurse and a cheap replacement goalie would eat Koskinen’s cap next year. Not much coming off the books. Keeping the roster as is is likely doable but there will be no other important additions other than entry level players breaking in. Gonna be hard maintaining under a flat cap

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Cale Makar is a whole level above Nurse. Nurse should be getting paid 1.5 mil less than Makar at a minimum

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I said last week 8.4 but if you can sell it better at 8.5 saying you get the Draisaitl contract. He says no you have to look at moving him cause giving him the Werenski/Jones deals is a killer. I hated that we hadn’t sign him long term. This feels just like Montreal when they had Subban

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->