Speculation: Now that the dust has settled, how many wins do the Oilers walk away with for the first 10 games?

Wins over first 10 games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
It really sucks that we play our easiest opponent (NYR in my opinion) in the afternoon. They're bad, but I think we're worse in the afternoon :(

Cory Gray

Oct 9, 2018
Brutal schedule, I think they can win against the Rangers, Wild, and Blackhawks - those are the easiest ones left. It's crazy to think that Chicago is consider an easier win in the first 10 - but that's just how hard those first opponents are.

So I'm saying 3 wins - but watch, it won't be those three I'm suggesting.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm back to feeling like the Oilers won't win any of their games. Could see them going 1-9-0 but I won't wager a guess which game mcdavid and Talbot decide to steal.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Pfft... I'd be shocked if they are under .500 at the end of the month.

You all are too easily rattled. This team will rebound and look better with resilience.

They realize they shit the bed and didn't play a full 60 minute game. So be it... not the end of days after game 1 of an 82 game schedule.

I expect solid, hard working performances going forward for the rest of October. If they can't show that through those games this month... then sure, pull the plug... but way too much is being made over a single overseas loss.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

You all are too easily rattled. This team will rebound and look better with resilience.

They realize they **** the bed and didn't play a full 60 minute game. So be it... not the end of days after game 1 of an 82 game schedule.

I expect solid, hard working performances going forward for the rest of October. If they can't show that through those games this month... then sure, pull the plug... but way too much is being made over a single overseas loss.
Even before that game I was thinking the team at best could hit 0.500 in October. You will most likely be shocked at us being under 0.500 but even with the media guys, it seemed like the forgone conclusion.
That said, maybe I will be the one surprised

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We are 10-16-4 in the last 2 seasons (so playoff year+bad year)Against the teams we are facing in the next 9 games. That's a 0.400 points percentage. Which in 9 games is roughly 7 points so maybe like... 3-5-1 in the next 9 for a total of 3-6-1.

People say we aren't as good as the playoff year and not as bad as last so 3-6-1 is the realistic expectation for this club

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

They realize they **** the bed and didn't play a full 60 minute game. So be it... not the end of days after game 1 of an 82 game schedule.

That happened a lot last year and we all know how that season turned out. In fact, when's the last time they did play a 60 minute game? Game 1 of last year?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hoping for 10 points. If that's 3-3-4 or 4-4-2 or 5-5 or whatever I'd be happy.

although 3-3-4 would probably start an uproar to why we suck in OT

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
That happened a lot last year and we all know how that season turned out. In fact, when's the last time they did play a 60 minute game? Game 1 of last year?

Last season is in the past though. I know for most... they just feel this is going to be a continuation of the past 12 years (save for that 1 decent year)... but not necessarily.

This team over the past 2 seasons combined has outscored the opposition 481-475 and have 181 pts over those 2 seasons. Now if you go back further then yes, the picture looks bleaker but I think it's fair to say the personnel has changed enough from 3 years ago that these past 2 years are more indicative of where the team is headed rather than the decade of suck that preceded.

This year they've essentially added:

Bouchard
Yamamoto (9 games last year but now another year older and more experienced)
Rieder
Brodziak
Chiasson
Garrison
Koskinen
Rattie (14 games last year but looks to be a step up and ore determined this year)

Now, that's essentially 8 new faces in the 23 man roster... essentially 1/3 of the team. Add in the fact they have 3 new coaches as well... Yawney/Gulutzan/Viveiros.

That's a lot of changes and I'm not making excuses... but obviously it does take some time for 8 new (or relatively new) players and 3 new coaches to develop some chemistry and get on the same page with their line combos, coaching systems etc.

It's a lot to ask for the team to gel and bond by game 1 and come out looking like a contender.

Could they have come out stronger and played better in game 1... yes obviously.

Do they know they laid an egg and gave the game away in the 2nd and that you can't play half-assed for 1/3 of the game and expect to win vs a hungry NHL team (that was probably extra hungry to come out strong in their opener themselves after they shit the bed in the playoffs as well)... again yes obviously.

I think we have to give NJ some credit as well... good performance by a hungry team that was obviously on the same page and had more chemistry going than the Oilers. They took that game from the Oilers and deserved the win.

Now the Oilers have to put their money where their mouth is... everyone in that dressing room knows they under performed in so many areas last season and they've acknowledged that. Now they actually have to come out and prove that with their actions rather than just their words.

Again, that sometimes takes more than 60 minutes to achieve. No excuses because every game is a "must win" in the NHL because you get in a slump and things go sideways and soon it's too big of a hole to climb out of... they know that as well.

I expect a strong effort and a solid bounceback vs Boston... these are the tests that will show whether this team is capable of being competitive or not. If they don't rebound and have a solid 60 minute game... the team is obviously in trouble... because once you play multiple poor games in a row, it gets frustrating and the chances of a full on slide grows bigger as the team can't develop chemistry because the coaches will be shifting bodies in and out of the lineup and onto different lines.

Last edited:

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
If this is the Oilers of last year, probably 3-6-1. Anything better than that is a good sign imo.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Brutal schedule, I think they can win against the Rangers, Wild, and Blackhawks - those are the easiest ones left. It's crazy to think that Chicago is consider an easier win in the first 10 - but that's just how hard those first opponents are.

So I'm saying 3 wins - but watch, it won't be those three I'm suggesting.

I said 3 games too!!

killercookie

Apr 24, 2013
6-3-1

Oilers vs Bruins W
Oilers vs Rangers W
Oilers vs Winterpeg OTL
Bruins vs Oilers W
Nash vs Oilers W
Pitts vs Oilers W
Wash vs Oilers L
Oilers vs Nash L
Oilers vs Chi W
Oilers vs Minn L

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think they win 4 and squeak out a Bettman point or two. The Nashville games, Minnesota, and Winnipeg are pretty much auto-losses. We usually play Washington, Pittsburgh, and Boston decently well. The Ranger game is a must win but it’s afternoon so who knows.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Drives me nuts when fans and media go on about easy vs tough teams for the oilers to play against. 'Just get through this stretch and everything will be okay!'

Newsflash: There are no easy teams for this squad.

Reactions: oilWILDcountry

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Rishaug on TSN said the Oilers are the ones that chose to have this massive road trip at the beginning of the season. They had the option of going home but they chose to have a Eastern road trip coming off the game in Sweden.

QuaintWelllitFirecrest.gif

Apparently McDavid's agent is not happy with the 4 day break.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Rishaug on TSN said the Oilers are the ones that chose to have this massive road trip at the beginning of the season. They had the option of going home but they chose to have a Eastern road trip coming off the game in Sweden.

QuaintWelllitFirecrest.gif

Apparently McDavid's agent is not happy with the 4 day break.

Should be noted that the Oilers were going to have the 4 day break no matter what. Whether it was at home or on the road. Not that you're trying to do this, but lets not try and make it seem like McDavid's agent (and Connor by proxy) are upset at the Oilers organization.

The decision to do the Eastern swing after coming back from Europe is certainly a risky one though. I can see the argument for why you'd do it. But boy do you set yourself up for some big time trouble if the team tanks it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad