Speculation: Now that the dust has settled, how many wins do the Oilers walk away with for the first 10 games?

Wins over first 10 games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If the Oilers go 5-5-0 then McLellan should be in the running or the Jack Adams.

I could see one win in those first ten games. Against the Rangers.

It's gonna be another loooooong season.

Weren't you one of the positive ones this offseason? That sure changed quick haha.

They will surely lose the Rangers game for two reasons, the Rangers will be desperate for a win and I'll be attending and the Oilers haven't won once in the McDavid era when I've been in attendance.

I don't know what to expect from this team but if the first game is any indication, I don't see more than 2-3 wins in this stretch and a possible Mclellan firing at the end of it. That was quite possibly one of the worst performances I've ever seen from an Oiler team, or any hockey team for that matter.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Weren't you one of the positive ones this offseason? That sure changed quick haha.

I was positive up to the Sekera injury.

That's a competitive game if Sekera is healthy.

How much better does this team look with a second pairing of Nurse-Sekera over Nurse-Benning?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I was positive up to the Sekera injury.

That's a competitive game if Sekera is healthy.

How much better does this team look with a second pairing of Nurse-Sekera over Nurse-Benning?

Much better obviously but the problems lie way deeper than that. They weren't a Sekera away from competing in that game, they were dominated from top to bottom. Well, not so much at the top with McDavid.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I voted 2.

The Preds own them (x2) , the Wild own them, they historically lay turds at MSG in afternoon games, the cup Champs and the Pens, lol they aren't winning those. They don't play well in Boston either if I recall right but play them ok at home.

Chicago looks rejuvenated but are relying on Cam Ward.

So they might win the Boston home game and either the Chicago game or the Rangers game just because the Rangers don't look good, but I'm not convinced they will and as I said in the coach prediction thread, this is the game I decide Mclellan's fate if I was Chiarelli.

I'm usually a fairly optimistic person and there's 81 games to go but that Devils game is all I needed to see that nothing has changed or will change until Mclellan is punted, especially if he survives these first 10 games. These first 10 game are a miserable whore.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
6 game winning streak incoming. Caps will stop them.
Then we beat Chicago and come out of the month with a 7-3-1 record. OT point against Nashville

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
man waiting this long while other teams play is so damn painful. we have to soak in our loss for a week.

Reactions: McDrai

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
I'm going with 3-4-3 (wins against Rangers, Pittsburgh, and Bruins). Not being negative but I don't see us getting more than 3 wins with how the schedule is set up. I even thought the Chicago game was a win for us but then I think about how bad our defense was against NJ. And Chicago put up a good fight against Toronto yesterday.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Given how poorly the first game went and how we'll be jet lagged because of those stupid games in Europe, I see us going 2-7-1

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Given how poorly the first game went and how we'll be jet lagged because of those stupid games in Europe, I see us going 2-7-1

?? Jet lagged? They arrived in Boston on Sunday and don't play until Thursday.. Plenty of time to rest, practice, etc. Jet lag cannot be an excuse.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Upcoming beatdown in beantown on Thursday will have nothing to do with Jet lag. It will however be something to do with the Oilers. Unless of course the Oilers play like they are not the Oilers :laugh:

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
We can win 5 plus games if we go with a unique setup of 5 actual talented hockey players on multiple lines.

Call me crazy but that could work.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014

I just got back from a 3 week Europe trip on Sunday and can safely say I am no longer jet lagged.. If the Oilers use that as an excuse..

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
I voted one and based on game one that is optimistic. A team that loses almost every face off and can't ever recover the puck afterward is not going to win any games. If the performance against Boston is the same I might just check out of this season after game two. Words cannot adequately describe how demoralizing that garbage was.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
FYI the first 10 GP in NA for the most recent 10 teams starting their season in Europe (and then a 4-5 day break):

NYR 7 W 2 L 1 OT
BOS 7 W 2 L 1 OT
CBJ 7 W 3 L
MIN 6 W 3 L 1 OT
LAK 5 W 3 L 2 OT
BUF 5 W 5 L
SJS 5 W 5 L (ended up 2nd in the WC)
ANA 4 W 4 L 2 OT
PHX 3 W 3 L 4 OT (made the playoffs :eek:)
CAR 4 W 6 L

I don't see anything out of the ordinary there tbh. Tough schedule and bad team is one thing, but lets stop pre-emptively blaming the euro-trip for possible tough times ahead.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad