Non-Minnesota NHL News XIV - Seattle Expansion(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley

Sounds like this hiring was about like Fenton's, with Fletcher the presumptive choice from the beginning.

I wouldn't bet on anything actually happening, but I'll be curious to see if any trade rumors pop up between the Wild and Flyers. We should have a number of guys at least semi-available that Fletcher's very familiar with.

At the very least Fletcher has more job security than ever... in the sense that his new job in the city of Philly will require a lot more security. :sarcasm:

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
It wasn't just the contract, it was the contract plus whatever else would have to be given up in order to give him that contract... either picks or players.

i realize, but his statement sure seemed to bash fenton for not wanting nylander for 6.9 mill yet every other GM also passed on it so his "fenton didnt think nylander is worth 6.9 mill?? hmmm.." is just silly.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
i realize, but his statement sure seemed to bash fenton for not wanting nylander for 6.9 mill yet every other GM also passed on it so his "fenton didnt think nylander is worth 6.9 mill?? hmmm.." is just silly.
Pretty sure everyone thinks he's worth $6.9m, but only Toronto could sign him for just that alone is all I'm saying.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Pretty sure everyone thinks he's worth $6.9m, but only Toronto could sign him for just that alone is all I'm saying.

It's a $45m/6 contract; which in a normal signing situation would be a $7.5m AAV, but because of the in-season RFA signing rules the cap breaks down to $10.3m x 1 and then a $7m x 5 deal. Whoever stated the $6.9m number is really bad at rounding numbers: $6,962,366 is the AAV after this season.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
It's a $45m/6 contract; which in a normal signing situation would be a $7.5m AAV, but because of the in-season RFA signing rules the cap breaks down to $10.3m x 1 and then a $7m x 5 deal. Whoever stated the $6.9m number is really bad at rounding numbers: $6,962,366 is the AAV after this season.

was reported in the main threat that he signed for 6.9 x 6.

i understand. was just explaining my comment.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The city of Seattle; who just got awarded a team; has more Cup wins than the state of Minnesota.

Although Seattle has never had an NHL team, the Seattle Metropolitans, who played in the Pacific Coast Hockey Association from 1915-24, won the Stanley Cup in 1917, defeating the Montreal Canadiens of the National Hockey Association 3-1 in a best-of-5 series.

They were also the first US team to win the Cup.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014

So is the draft in 20-21? If so, we're only handcuffed with 3 NMC-NTC's. Maybe Fenton will do a better job preparing for this than CF did. Although, looking at the roster that far out, there isn't all that many players I would want to protect at this point.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yea, the Wild were well setup for the 2020 draft, 2021 not so much.
Hopefully in two years we'll be thankful that guys like Shaw, Sokolov and Lodnia are exempt, it's just harder to tell from 2018.

At the very least we'll have fewer NMC's to worry about. Granlund might get one, but he'd be on the presumptive list anyway.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
A heck of a lot can change in the summer of 2020 (if not before). Koivu, Granlund, Coyle and Spurgeon UFA's; Kaprizov coming in; who knows where Nino's game will be and if he'll even be somebody that we'd want to stick around for $5+ million.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
So is the draft in 20-21? If so, we're only handcuffed with 3 NMC-NTC's. Maybe Fenton will do a better job preparing for this than CF did. Although, looking at the roster that far out, there isn't all that many players I would want to protect at this point.

Summer of 2021. Only 2 NMC's that I can see.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Hopefully in two years we'll be thankful that guys like Shaw, Sokolov and Lodnia are exempt, it's just harder to tell from 2018.

At the very least we'll have fewer NMC's to worry about. Granlund might get one, but he'd be on the presumptive list anyway.

Shaw and Sokolov won't be exempt, they will be 3rd year pros the year before the draft. Ladonia and Baribeau are the only signed players that will be exempt (ELC slide this year).

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Shaw and Sokolov won't be exempt, they will be 3rd year pros the year before the draft. Ladonia and Baribeau are the only signed players that will be exempt (ELC slide this year).
Even more moot than I thought to be worrying about it now then :laugh: All the more reason to try and seek solutions via trade rather than free agency though, since the latter is more likely to result in adding NMC's.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
As of now:

Parise (NMC)
Granlund (expecting to be re-signed)
Zucker
Kunin
Greenway
2 of Coyle/Nino/Eriksson Ek

Kaprizov will be exempt.
Staal, if re-signed, will be 36/37 years old (not a likely choice)
Koivu, if somehow still playing well and re-signed, will be 38 (also not a likely choice)

Suter (NMC)
Dumba
Spurgeon (if re-signed)

Kahkonen (hopefully he shows enough by then)

Brodin, Seeler, Pateryn and Dubnyk will all be UFA's in the summer of 2021, so if any of them aren't re-signed before then, we can use that to avoid the draft.

Obviously a lot of time between now and then and things can change substantially, but I don't think we're set up too bad this time around.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
A heck of a lot can change in the summer of 2020 (if not before). Koivu, Granlund, Coyle and Spurgeon UFA's; Kaprizov coming in; who knows where Nino's game will be and if he'll even be somebody that we'd want to stick around for $5+ million.
Russo has already said that Granlund getting an extension this coming summer is already a priority according to Fenton.

Kaprizov will be exempt.

I'd be shocked if Nino was still even here.

So much can change in that amount of time. 2021 expansion draft is a long way off.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Super stoked for the team. Wish it was 2020.

I am excited to see in person each month the progress on Key Arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad