Non-Minnesota NHL News XIV - Seattle Expansion(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010

That's a shame for Blues fans. Guy was having a monster season.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Hmm some odd trades happening before the roster freeze. Pit now has our 2019 4th round pick.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Haha, went on The Athletic, and Mirtle had an article about it.

Why on earth are the Maple Leafs playing a 2 p.m. Tuesday...

The weirdest part about the whole thing is the Leafs scheduled this one at 2 p.m. on a Tuesday. Well, it's also pretty weird they're playing the Hurricanes, too. I get wanting to commemorate 100 years, but shouldn't they do that against a team like Ottawa or Montreal, cities that had a presence in the NHL of 1917?

And why a 2 p.m. start, given the fact the first game in team history was played at night?

For answers, I asked around the NHL, MLSE and the Leafs organization over the past few days. The idea is actually pretty solid.

Basically, the Leafs want the building full of kids. The rumour is that some schools will be bused in to watch, as Leafs season-ticket holders were encouraged to donate their tickets to this game if they couldn't attend. (Given work and all.)

(If they could go, they were encouraged to bring a young child with them to the game.)
MLSE says they wanted this game to mark “the next 100 years” for fans. They're hoping to make some new Leafs fans by getting kids to their first-ever NHL game, something they would obviously remember for a long time. (I know my first game was 1992 Canucks-Kings at the Pacific Coliseum, for example.)

The game will also be broadcast live in 16 Toronto schools and SickKids hospital as part of coordinated viewing parties put on by the team.

Not a bad way to spend an afternoon at the end of class.

That's actually a pretty cool idea.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
That is really cool actually...I know so many people who weren't hockey fans until they went to a game and realized how much fun it is (non-Wild editions ;) )

Wabit

May 23, 2016
A couple of players of note within the Central just went on the IR.
Jets: Scheifele- 6-8 weeks, shoulder injury.
Hawks: Crawford- upper body, no return date (it could just be a minor thing and the Hawks wanted the roster spot).
Avs: Barrie- 4-6 weeks, broken hand.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
A couple of players of note within the Central just went on the IR.
Jets: Scheifele- 6-8 weeks, shoulder injury.
Hawks: Crawford- upper body, no return date (it could just be a minor thing and the Hawks wanted the roster spot).
Avs: Barrie- 4-6 weeks, broken hand.
Some way....some how....this is Cooke's fault.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Vegas is leading the conference and absolutely dominating the Kings right now. They're officially for real. 9-0-1 in their last 10 before this game.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Vegas is leading the conference and absolutely dominating the Kings right now. They're officially for real. 9-0-1 in their last 10 before this game.

They play with a lot of intensity. They were all "unwanted castoffs" so they have a chip on their shoulder.

My question is if they have another gear when the Playoffs start? That's when the rest of the teams play harder. I'm not trying to knock them at all here, they are a fun team to watch and work hard every night.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
This US/Canada outdoor game is great to watch on tv. I'd not like being in the stands. It's cold and snowing hard.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
They play with a lot of intensity. They were all "unwanted castoffs" so they have a chip on their shoulder.

My question is if they have another gear when the Playoffs start? That's when the rest of the teams play harder. I'm not trying to knock them at all here, they are a fun team to watch and work hard every night.

Do you mean are they like us?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
This US/Canada outdoor game is great to watch on tv. I'd not like being in the stands. It's cold and snowing hard.
You must have a different feed than I do? Because what I'm watching is complete garbage. Camera work, camera angle, visibility, and actual game play are worthless. USA/Canada is usually a must see game every year, this is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->