Non-Minnesota NHL News XIV - Seattle Expansion(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I doubt he's an NHL head coach again.

.567 career points percentage. 45 years of age. He's had some success. Maybe he needs to explore opportunities in Europe or Russia but it's not like he doesn't know hockey.

As for Quenneville, his contract makes it pretty prohibitive for St. Louis and other teams. And you run into the problem of why a millionaire with nothing to gain legacy-wise would want to leave his family behind in a nice city and move to St. Louis (or Edmonton) and work with flawed rosters already behind the eight-ball.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
.567 career points percentage. 45 years of age. He's had some success. Maybe he needs to explore opportunities in Europe or Russia but it's not like he doesn't know hockey.

As for Quenneville, his contract makes it pretty prohibitive for St. Louis and other teams. And you run into the problem of why a millionaire with nothing to gain legacy-wise would want to leave his family behind in a nice city and move to St. Louis (or Edmonton) and work with flawed rosters already behind the eight-ball.
Q has already gone on record that he wants back into coaching again once the right job is available.

His contract isn't prohibitive, as his contract terminates the moment he signs a new one.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Q has already gone on record that he wants back into coaching again once the right job is available.

His contract isn't prohibitive, as his contract terminates the moment he signs a new one.

So when you buy a house, you can stop paying on your car?

Those close to Quenneville say the three-time Stanley Cup winner only has interest in stepping into a situation with a ready-made contender. Do the Blues qualify for that status? They have one of the best regular season records (.611 points percentage) since 2010, but have only four playoff series wins to show for it.

The next hurdle would be money. Quenneville has one more season remaining at $6 million, the second-highest coaches salary in the NHL to only Toronto’s Mike Babcock. The Blackhawks would likely require the hiring team to pay more than half of that figure, maybe even more for a division rival like the Blues, to allow ‘Q’ to coach against them. Would the traditionally small-market Blues be interested in paying that much?

from Frank Seravelli at TSN

A source close to the situation said Monday that Quenneville, who remains the Blues’ all-time winningest head coach with 307 victories, was in no hurry to get back into coaching. But there have been reports that after thinking the 60-year-old may wait until 2019-20 to return, he was reconsidering the possibility of taking another coaching job this season.

While the move would be highly popular with the fan base, it would cost ownership dearly. Quenneville was scheduled to make $6 million this season and the 2019-20 season with Chicago, and the Blackhawks would want any team attempting to hire him, especially the Blues, to pay a large percentage of that contract. The club is also on the hook for the final one and a half years of Yeo’s remaining contract with the Blues, and then would have to pay Quenneville to coach the club on top of that.

from Jeremy Rutherford at The Athletic

pretty much the exact same quote, probably same source. But I have no reason to doubt it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
NHL contracts aren't like buying a car.

The contracts keep playing out until the coach takes another job, that lets the team off the hook and encourages teams to allow coaches to go elsewhere.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
The Bruins jerseys were posted already but I thought I'd post both jerseys side by side.

Despite what you think about these teams being in the WC again, I think those are both really good looking jerseys (although the Hawks couldn't go with much else for this one).

I don't like to admit it, but I've always loved those Hawks jerseys. The best logo in hockey IMO.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
NHL contracts aren't like buying a car.

The contracts keep playing out until the coach takes another job, that lets the team off the hook and encourages teams to allow coaches to go elsewhere.

did you read my post? unless you have some special information about Quenneville's contract, he is owed that amount of money for this season and next. So no matter who pays him, it has to be equal to or greater than that amount. It doesn't just get voided because he takes a part-time job busing at Pizzeria Uno or appearing on Sportsnet or coaching for the St. Louis Blues.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
did you read my post? unless you have some special information about Quenneville's contract, he is owed that amount of money for this season and next. So no matter who pays him, it has to be equal to or greater than that amount. It doesn't just get voided because he takes a part-time job busing at Pizzeria Uno or appearing on Sportsnet or coaching for the St. Louis Blues.

ranking those jobs:
1. Do nothing at all and get paid.
2. Appear on Sportsnet.
3. Bus tables part time at (Chi has so many better pizza options than) Pizzeria Uno.
4. Coaching the Blues.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Just because one writer was wrong and another one appears to be getting his information from the first guy that doesn't make them a credible source. Right now Q is a Blackhawk employee with I bet a massive penalty tied to an exclusivity clause. Do you really think an employment contract stays in effect when you no longer work for that employer?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Just because one writer was wrong and another one appears to be getting his information from the first guy that doesn't make them a credible source. Right now Q is a Blackhawk employee with I bet a massive penalty tied to an exclusivity clause. Do you really think an employment contract stays in effect when you no longer work for that employer?
Quenneville is still an employee of the Hawks.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Quenneville is still an employee of the Hawks.
Yeah, because that's how contracts work. There's undoubtedly a clause that says neither party can terminate the contract or they face some massive fine to the other party. Or if both parties mutually agree to terminate they can do so, which is how Q could coach elsewhere.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yeah, because that's how contracts work. There's undoubtedly a clause that says neither party can terminate the contract or they face some massive fine to the other party. Or if both parties mutually agree to terminate they can do so, which is how Q could coach elsewhere.

Which statement are you going with?

Without knowing the clauses in the contract, any definitive talk about what Q can or can't do, is silly.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Which statement are you going with?

Without knowing the clauses in the contract, any definitive talk about what Q can or can't do, is silly.
I guess I needed to be clearer. Right now he's a Hawk employee. If he goes to the Blues he's not a Hawk employee. Why would the Hawks still pay him?

I can also say with 100% certainty that he has to terminate his contract with the Hawks to coach somewhere else. An exclusivity agreement is one of the most standard clauses with any employment contract. I know you'll say "But you don't really KNOW" because I don't have the actual contract for proof, but exclusivity is really the most basic of employment contract law. It's why teams have to give permission for a relieved head coach to interview elsewhere, because their contract says you only work for us.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I guess I needed to be clearer. Right now he's a Hawk employee. If he goes to the Blues he's not a Hawk employee. Why would the Hawks still pay him?

I can also say with 100% certainty that he has to terminate his contract with the Hawks to coach somewhere else. An exclusivity agreement is one of the most standard clauses with any employment contract. I know you'll say "But you don't really KNOW" because I don't have the actual contract for proof, but exclusivity is really the most basic of employment contract law. It's why teams have to give permission for a relieved head coach to interview elsewhere, because their contract says you only work for us.
There's still a ton of grey area that nobody has an answer for. Can Chicago deny him the chance to go somehwere else? Can Q negotiate a release from his contract?

Goose312

May 15, 2015
There's still a ton of grey area that nobody has an answer for. Can Chicago deny him the chance to go somehwere else? Can Q negotiate a release from his contract?
They could deny him working for another NHL team. That's what exclusivity/non-compete is. And everything is negotiable! If both parties want out they could agree to walk away, or maybe Q convinces them to give him a partial one time lump payment as long as he signs an agreement to not sign with a central team for the rest of the season. I'm really hoping he either sits out the season with his fat $6m salary and signs with the Seattle ownership once it runs out.

Reactions: 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
They could deny him working for another NHL team. That's what exclusivity/non-compete is. And everything is negotiable! If both parties want out they could agree to walk away, or maybe Q convinces them to give him a partial one time lump payment as long as he signs an agreement to not sign with a central team for the rest of the season. I'm really hoping he either sits out the season with his fat $6m salary and signs with the Seattle ownership once it runs out.
And now we're arguing the same point.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
He knows his way and no other way... And that way has now burned him through 2 teams in short succession. 2nd even faster than the 1st.
. 436 playoff winning percentage and never past the 2nd round.
I don't see GM's lining up for that.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
WTF?

NEW YORK - Vancouver Canucks forward Antoine Roussel has been fined $5,000, the maximum allowable under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, for biting San Jose Sharks defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic during NHL Game No. 346 in San Jose on Friday, Nov. 23, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.
The incident occurred at 19:20 of the third period.
The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

Roussel fined for biting Vlasic in Canucks game against Sharks

So licking is frowned upon, but biting is a fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad