Non-Minnesota NHL News XIV - Seattle Expansion(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Reilly is averaging 22:57 minutes per game for the Habs, second behind Jeff Petry's 23:08. But Weber is injured. He looks impressive. Sometimes players just need a change to start clicking.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I didn’t see a thread on it on the main boards, but the Islanders got absolutely jobbed on one of their goals last night against the Ducks. Insane.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Reilly is averaging 22:57 minutes per game for the Habs, second behind Jeff Petry's 23:08. But Weber is injured. He looks impressive. Sometimes players just need a change to start clicking.

Pretty good use of third and fifth round picks.

I always thought Reilly could make it with his puck skill - just needed some leeway to make mistakes.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
He had a good game tonight. I don't know about "killer" though.

A Habs fan chiming in, Reilly's impressed since day one of the camp. He's been huge for us and honestly a big part of why the Habs are playing well now. Some scoring was bound to come.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
With Suter and Brodin getting close to 50 minutes per game at LD, and the remaining LH TOI being of low quality, it doesn't take a genius to realize that any development for a young LD would be difficult. Reilly was a guy who needed to play, and in offensive situations. He got a few chances, but that bottom pairing situation in MN wasn't ideal for him, especially with that Quincey fiasco.

It seems like the situation in MN for a LD is more set up for a guy like Seeler- a classic, hard rock, grinder type with limited upside.

Reilly and Olofsson have been big misses for this team. It's depressing to see how little we got in exchange for them, and Scandella. Quite an indictment on the management.

Last edited:

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Reilly certainly has offensive talent but was just prone to mistakes and defensive lapses. I'm glad he's doing well, but his advanced stats are pretty horrific while he's riding an amazing split of giving up nearly 17 high danger chances against per 60 and only 0.5 high danger goals against per 60. Buffalo fans were singing the praises of Pominville 10 games in last year too.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Reilly certainly has offensive talent but was just prone to mistakes and defensive lapses. I'm glad he's doing well, but his advanced stats are pretty horrific while he's riding an amazing split of giving up nearly 17 high danger chances against per 60 and only 0.5 high danger goals against per 60. Buffalo fans were singing the praises of Pominville 10 games in last year too.

It doesn't sound right at all....He's getting alot of PK times so it might be related to that because, at 5on5 everytime Reilly is on the ice MTL control the play.

But the most noticeable change in Reilly’s play has been his defensive prowess. He is supporting the attack as well as shutting down opposing forwards, all while playing the most even-strength minutes on the team. During his even-strength shifts, the Canadiens have controlled over 61 per cent of the shots, 54.9 per cent of the scoring chances and have scored three goals while allowing none.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
It doesn't sound right at all....He's getting alot of PK times so it might be related to that because, at 5on5 everytime Reilly is on the ice MTL control the play.

But the most noticeable change in Reilly’s play has been his defensive prowess. He is supporting the attack as well as shutting down opposing forwards, all while playing the most even-strength minutes on the team. During his even-strength shifts, the Canadiens have controlled over 61 per cent of the shots, 54.9 per cent of the scoring chances and have scored three goals while allowing none.
Not sure who you are quoting there but that's not even close to true according to NaturalStatTrick and Corsica. I'm guessing it's over a different span of games but Reilly is at 48% CF% (last among MTL skaters), 49% of shots (last), 44% of scoring chances (hey only 2nd to last!) and at 45.6% xGF% (also last for MTL).

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Not sure who you are quoting there but that's not even close to true according to NaturalStatTrick and Corsica. I'm guessing it's over a different span of games but Reilly is at 48% CF% (last among MTL skaters), 49% of shots (last), 44% of scoring chances (hey only 2nd to last!) and at 45.6% xGF% (also last for MTL).

I am amaze because so far this season, he's MTL best defenceman by far. He's playing against the other team top lines every night and play first PK with over 4min per night. Does thoses stats include PK times?

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I am amaze because so far this season, he's MTL best defenceman by far. He's playing against the other team top lines every night and play first PK with over 4min per night. Does thoses stats include PK times?
Nope, 5v5 only.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
yeah, I can't see Reilly being all that great defensively all of a sudden.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Paying for potential. Way too much right now.

I think he'll make up the overpay now on the backend of the 7 year deal. It's actually slightly less percentage of the cap than Brodin was when he signed his contract a few years ago.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I think Tuch ends up being twice the player Coyle currently is.
Absolutely. He has no problem in preseason, but then turns into an anchor once it counts. He fooled me again with that damn hat trick against the Avs. Although, to be fair it WAS preseason where the competition is lower and not every team is playing their full roster. But he always has a little extra jump and willingness to score. But once October hits....it's gone.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Absolutely. He has no problem in preseason, but then turns into an anchor once it counts. He fooled me again with that damn hat trick against the Avs. Although, to be fair it WAS preseason where the competition is lower and not every team is playing their full roster. But he always has a little extra jump and willingness to score. But once October hits....it's gone.

My biggest issue with Coyle is wasted potential. It's not just a matter of talent or who you play with, but the development of the player. In San Jose, I'd think Coyle would have been a star in this league and would have been a 25-30 goal scorer. But here in Minnesota we wasted his potential (and I don't think the NHL did him any favors by inconsistent discipline) and never developed him. So, what makes San Jose better than Minnesota in terms of drafting and developing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad