Non-Minnesota NHL News XIV - Seattle Expansion(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
My biggest issue with Coyle is wasted potential. It's not just a matter of talent or who you play with, but the development of the player. In San Jose, I'd think Coyle would have been a star in this league and would have been a 25-30 goal scorer. But here in Minnesota we wasted his potential (and I don't think the NHL did him any favors by inconsistent discipline) and never developed him. So, what makes San Jose better than Minnesota in terms of drafting and developing?

You believing that Coyle would be a star in San Jose isn't really evidence of them being better at developing. Maybe they are and maybe they aren't, but Coyle really isn't evidence in either direction. Don't forget, Coyle was on a pretty steady upward trajectory, hits 58 points, and then has had only 1 injury-affected "down" season since.

Maybe you could say that the back and forth between the center and wing, and the constant shuffling up and down the lineup hasn't really helped him, and I wouldn't argue too much against it.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
You believing that Coyle would be a star in San Jose isn't really evidence of them being better at developing. Maybe they are and maybe they aren't, but Coyle really isn't evidence in either direction. Don't forget, Coyle was on a pretty steady upward trajectory, hits 58 points, and then has had only 1 injury-affected "down" season since.

Looking at guys Logan Courture, Tomas Hertl, Timo Meier, Joe Pavelski, Marc-Edouard Vlasic on their current roster. Couture was the 9th overall pick, but's been everything for them. Hertl has had some injury concerns, but for a lower draft pick he's been great depth. Meier is another high round draft pick that's been pretty good. Pavelski and Vlasic need to say more? Not to mention guys like Setoguchi, Cheechoo, Danskoi, Wingels, Nieto, Demers...they know how to develop their players to contribute to the NHL. Maybe not 30 goal scorers, but they get players in the draft.

Maybe you could say that the back and forth between the center and wing, and the constant shuffling up and down the lineup hasn't really helped him, and I wouldn't argue too much against it.

That has been the biggest issue and one that some former and current players have alluded too and even a coach.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
This isn't really news, but I was reading about Jaomir Jagr and looked at a list of players sorted by goal scoring while of the age 40+. Look at who's #13 on the all-time list. That's some heavy company to be in! It begs the question, is it possible Cullen will be a hockey hall of fame member? Almost everyone else there is or will be. (except Dean Prentice, who is probably the best comparable) What would it take? Say he were to pass Larionov, is that good enough? Too little, too late?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
This isn't really news, but I was reading about Jaomir Jagr and looked at a list of players sorted by goal scoring while of the age 40+. Look at who's #13 on the all-time list. That's some heavy company to be in! It begs the question, is it possible Cullen will be a hockey hall of fame member? Almost everyone else there is or will be. (except Dean Prentice, who is probably the best comparable) What would it take? Say he were to pass Larionov, is that good enough? Too little, too late?

He's never topped 50p in a season, 25g is his career high, only 2 seasons over 20g, won any individual awards, or done much in international play. All he has is longevity and been a part of 3 Cup teams.

Koivu has a better shot at the HoF than Cullen; his play for Finland throughout the years gives him a boost.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
He's never topped 50p in a season, 25g is his career high, only 2 seasons over 20g, won any individual awards, or done much in international play. All he has is longevity and been a part of 3 Cup teams.

Koivu has a better shot at the HoF than Cullen; his play for Finland throughout the years gives him a boost.

I agree - though Cullen definitely has a spot waiting for him in Eveleth.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
A shaky goalie will make any coach look bad.
If the Yeobot method doesn't have success, he loses the room.

The reason for the lack of success can be many (including poor goaltending), but the result is Yeo loses the room.

His method takes too much of the creativity and joy out of the game even for his players. Thus they need to get the W's to have the fun.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

I love what the Canes are doing this season. This is supposed to be a game and a fun pastime!

I liked what they did with their team. They took some big risks trading guys like Skinner and Ekholm, but I think it made them a better team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad