Non-Minnesota NHL News XIV - Seattle Expansion(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

There were potential questions on the translation there, but regardless, it sounds like he retired.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota

There were potential questions on the translation there, but regardless, it sounds like he retired.

He doesn't seem like the type to sign and then retire before even playing the first game. "Serious family problems" does not sound good.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
OK, this Auston Matthews kid is playing on another level right now. Unreal.

This is a Tor team is without Nylander too.

Does this Tor team think it's playing in goaltending optional the 80's: 4 games, 20 GF, 17 GA, 9.25 goals/game.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
So, the Preds had a banner ceremony last night...

xnsgvaefrcycrtqfjkyd.jpg

For the Central Division title, the Presidents' Trophy, and the Regular Season Western Conference Champions...

Apparently, Detroit, San Jose, Washington and Dallas have all hung a similar banner in the past but still... a banner to brag about how you got the #1 seed in your conference's playoffs? For the record, I think the Wild hanging a banner retiring the #1 for the fans is also a bit cornball, but this feels like that banner the Colts hung a few years ago.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
That 3rd banner is horrific. Feedback I've heard is Preds fans hate it, as they should. Whoever started the trend of calling the best record in the regular season the "regular season conference champions" needs to be fired. The only team that should be allowed to hang a banner that says 2018 Western Conference Champions is the Golden Knights.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I guess Regular Season Western Conference Champions isn't awful (although not exactly banner-worthy, IMO) but it would have made a whole lot more sense if they weren't also the President's Trophy winners. That banner says you were the Regular Season champs of the entire NHL.

They must've had a killer sale at the banner store.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
This is a Tor team is without Nylander too.

Does this Tor team think it's playing in goaltending optional the 80's: 4 games, 20 GF, 17 GA, 9.25 goals/game.

Shocker! It's almost as if Auston Matthews is very good and Willy Nylander has been a beneficiary!

Wabit

May 23, 2016
That 3rd banner is horrific. Feedback I've heard is Preds fans hate it, as they should. Whoever started the trend of calling the best record in the regular season the "regular season conference champions" needs to be fired. The only team that should be allowed to hang a banner that says 2018 Western Conference Champions is the Golden Knights.

I don't mind the regular season champs banner as a stand alone banner. It's a way of saying you were better than the other Division in the Conference for that year.

Having all 3 of them is redundant. If you win the Presidents Trophy, it means you would have won your Division and the Conference; just put the President's Trophy banner up (and on down the line).

Just think a team could potentially hang up 5 banners: Stanley Cup, Conference Champs (Playoffs), President's Trophy, Conference Champs (Regular Season), Division Champs. :loony:

Personally I'd only hang up 2 banners at most: Finals (win or lose) and President's Trophy (but none of the lesser ones). Failing to make the Finals only 1 Banner goes up.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I love how the words "regular season" are so small. "Western Conference Champions" is the only thing that will stand out when hanging from the
rafters.

I see what you did there, Preds. :sarcasm:

I see a few other teams have done the same thing. It's like a banner for just participating. There should be one Western champs banner, and that belongs to Vegas.

Last edited:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Found this interesting from Arpon Basu's piece in The Athletic, on Mike Reilly.

Reilly is hungry because of how his career has gone so far.

A much-sought-after college free agent after he didn’t sign with the team that drafted him in the fourth round in 2011, the Columbus Blue Jackets, Reilly was spinning his tires with the Wild. But as soon as Reilly found himself out of his native Minnesota, he found a new lease on life, one where he knows where he stands and isn’t playing on pins and needles at all times.

“I just never knew where I stood; it was one mistake, you’re coming out of the game,” Reilly said. “That’s kind of the way it was, it was one mistake and no trust. So it feels good that you can kind of come in here – obviously you’re going to be held accountable – but if you make one little mistake you’ve got to move on. That’s what I like about this.”

I was a little surprised to read that. I guess I thought Reilly was given quite a bit of leash here. But maybe I'm misremembering.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Seemed like every other night he was swapping with Olof in the press box. Both of them were definitely mismanaged

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->