Non-Minnesota NHL News XIV - Seattle Expansion(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
So strange. Hopefully everything is okay. can't think of a ton of reasons why someone would leave that team and at this point in the year.

He's not leaving the team this season. Chances are, BriseBois was getting some interest and in order to keep him around, Yzerman opted to step down. If I were Yzerman, I'd rather take over Detroit next season than stick around Tampa. If the Bolts win the Cup, his genius rep is assured. If not, he gets to try again in a market where he can do no wrong with Zadina, Veleno, possibly Jack Hughes incoming, and BriseBois can deal with a cap-strapped team with few legit prospects.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
A week before preseason games start and there are still some RFAs that haven't signed around the league: Nylander (Tor), Reinhart (Buf), Nurse (Edm), Theodore (Vegas), Morrissey (Jets).

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
He's not leaving the team this season. Chances are, BriseBois was getting some interest and in order to keep him around, Yzerman opted to step down. If I were Yzerman, I'd rather take over Detroit next season than stick around Tampa. If the Bolts win the Cup, his genius rep is assured. If not, he gets to try again in a market where he can do no wrong with Zadina, Veleno, possibly Jack Hughes incoming, and BriseBois can deal with a cap-strapped team with few legit prospects.
Sounds like family life is strained with the distance. Doesn't help when dad/husband is away for almost half the year multiple states away.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I'm still a bit skeptical of how much family really played into his decision to leave. I don't buy the Suter rumors at all, but it still seems odd the way he left after the year they had.
So you completely believe that Yzerman would walk away for family issues when Tampa is one of the top teams in the league, but you are skeptical that Stevens would leave the Wild after a single mildly successful season? This was Stevens first stint away from his family. Besides it being with the Wild and fans just loving their baseless conspiracy theories around here there's no reason to believe one and not the other. I'd even be more inclined to believe the guy who just spent his first year away from his family is more likely to want to go back home than the guy who was 8 years in.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The big winner of the EK trade is the Av's; they'll probably end up winning the lottery (top-5 pick at least). That's 3 seriously bad trades within a year for OTT: Duchene (3-way), Hoffman, and now EK (SJS has robbed them twice in a row).

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Zetterberg retired. Not surprising given some of the news around that this offseason.

It is a bit fortunate that Parise has gotten back into prime playing shape after he had back issues as well. I know Z's had been around for a while, but I have no idea how it compared to Zach's.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Zetterberg retired. Not surprising given some of the news around that this offseason.

It is a bit fortunate that Parise has gotten back into prime playing shape after he had back issues as well. I know Z's had been around for a while, but I have no idea how it compared to Zach's.
I'm wouldn't hold my breath on ZP's long term health.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Det now has ~$10m (Franzen+Z) in LTIR for the next 2 years. Both should be moveable (if they want to) with only $1m in actual salary: Franzen this year and Z next year.

Z was a steal for a draft pick: 7th rounder turned into a 1C. Too bad his body gave out, he was always fun to watch play.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Is this a common thing: NSH/FLA are playing a splitsquad doubleheader today? I don't recall seeing that in hockey.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Quite an odd thing to be upset about. And I believe they just switch locales. Nashville holds it one year, Florida the next. I went to a pre-season triple header 3 days in a row. I was quite enthused.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Quite an odd thing to be upset about. And I believe they just switch locales. Nashville holds it one year, Florida the next. I went to a pre-season triple header 3 days in a row. I was quite enthused.

I can't stand paying for preseason games and the resale value is garbage. You can find glass seats (and the free food/beer that go with them) for less than what I payed for my regular seats.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I like the bridge contract ($3.65 x 2) Buffalo got Reinhart to sign.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It sounds like preseason is the problem, not the doubleheader.

Yes, paying normal prices for a preseason game is a big part of the problem. Paying full price to watch only 1/4th on a NHL roster irked me. But having a day-night double header on a (non-holiday) Monday is also a problem.

I think the reported (butts in seats) attendance was around 800 fans for the afternoon game. Yes it was at the Panthers and it's FLA, the stadium is in an awful location, and game start was a weird time.

FLA missed out on a good opportunity for PR and cultivating fans. Make it a noon/1 game and sell/give tickets to some school districts and bus some kids in as a field trip day (or something similar).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad