Non-Minnesota NHL News XIV - Seattle Expansion(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Not sure why you would bring up Salomaki? Both Stewart and Winnik were on the team last season and both were better than Foligno in every aspect.

Winnik, yes.

Stewart was trash except for a hot streak in which he played a lot with Zucker and Koivu.

Foligno was somewhere between them.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Winnik, yes.

Stewart was trash except for a hot streak in which he played a lot with Zucker and Koivu.

Foligno was somewhere between them.
You say that everytime that Stewart comes up, but it simply isn't true. Stewart played maybe 3-4 games with Staal and Zucker, and he only scored 2 of his goals in that time. And 1 of those was during the Chicago game where everyone got hurt.

To be clear, I'm not saying that Stewart was any good last year, but he was much better than Foligno.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
You say that everytime that Stewart comes up, but it simply isn't true. Stewart played maybe 3-4 games with Staal and Zucker, and he only scored 2 of his goals in that time. And 1 of those was during the Chicago game where everyone got hurt.

To be clear, I'm not saying that Stewart was any good last year, but he was much better than Foligno.

There's just no basis for saying that. Foligno's raw corsi was 48.1%, that was 12th best on the team (top ten if you take out Kloos and Belpedio). Obviously he didn't face the competition that Koivu did, but he had a higher relative corsi than Parise, Coyle and Winnik. He had the same fenwick as Suter, and again a better relative Fenwick than Coyle, Parise, Winnik. Stewart was awful by those metrics, but Foligno also outscored him. 5v5P/60: Foligno: 1.49, Stewart: 1.42 (same as Cullen).

Like, you might think he makes too much money, but he's relatively effective at what he does. I'm not a huge fan but you don't win games by having a bunch of terrible players making league minimum and doing worse than that.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
There's just no basis for saying that. Foligno's raw corsi was 48.1%, that was 12th best on the team (top ten if you take out Kloos and Belpedio). Obviously he didn't face the competition that Koivu did, but he had a higher relative corsi than Parise, Coyle and Winnik. He had the same fenwick as Suter, and again a better relative Fenwick than Coyle, Parise, Winnik. Stewart was awful by those metrics, but Foligno also outscored him. 5v5P/60: Foligno: 1.49, Stewart: 1.42 (same as Cullen).

Like, you might think he makes too much money, but he's relatively effective at what he does. I'm not a huge fan but you don't win games by having a bunch of terrible players making league minimum and doing worse than that.
Corsi and Fenwick? Seriously? For a 4th line player that can't be used in deffensive situations?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Corsi and Fenwick? Seriously? For a 4th line player that can't be used in deffensive situations?

He basically doesn't give up too much when he's out on the ice. Do you expect 40 goals? He hits people and holds his own about as well as any other guy on the Wild. A worse player - a player making league minimum - would probably do .... worse!

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

And to also be clear, I'm interested in seeing by which metric your opinion is based on.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Foligno is fine as a 4th liner. Not the smartest, or most skilled player, but he's physical, strong, and relatively fast. Reasonably good without the puck. If he is one of the top 9 then he is less effective, as plays tend to die on his stick.
I think the hate for him is because he is perceived as the return on Scandella, who is a much better player.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Beau Bennett signed in the KHL for this year

Not really surprising, although when you consider the Zucker vs. Bennett debates from years ago on the main board where Bennett was seen (by mostly Pens fans) as the superior player and now see where both players are at this stage in their career, it is slightly amusing.

Reactions: FVM and 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Beau Bennett signed in the KHL for this year

Not really surprising, although when you consider the Zucker vs. Bennett debates from years ago on the main board where Bennett was seen (by mostly Pens fans) as the superior player and now see where both players are at this stage in their career, it is slightly amusing.
I remember those conversations, they started when both guys were just getting started at Denver.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So Skinner was traded to Buffalo for what seems like a pretty poor return. I wonder if we made a run at him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
So Skinner was traded to Buffalo for what seems like a pretty poor return. I wonder if we made a run at him.

We don't have the room to trade from him for only picks and prospects, and trading guys with multiple years control for a pending UFA doesn't make a ton of sense.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
We don't have the room to trade from him for only picks and prospects, and trading guys with multiple years control for a pending UFA doesn't make a ton of sense.
Yeah, it probably would have required a precursor trade to ditch some salary first, and at least some indication that Skinner might be willing to re-sign here. Could be a pretty steep contract though going into UFA.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Nate Schmidt suspended 20 games for performance enhancing drugs.

Oh my.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Vegas basically traded a first, two future 2nds, a future 3rd and a good prospect for patches before negotiating for an extension. That Tatar trade was certainly their first big misstep.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Tatar was their Hanzal. They decided to beef up for the playoffs, and the move failed.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Tatar was their Hanzal. They decided to beef up for the playoffs, and the move failed.

Tater is the opposite of beefing up. He was meant to be another middle-6 goal scoring winger for the Playoffs. He just wasn't a good fit. The GM took the mistake on the chin, but went about correcting it instead trying to justify it with 3 more years on his contract.

Tatar's one of those "all the tools and no toolbox" guys. He's good for 20g/40p (maybe not in MTL where they have nothing), but overpayed for his production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad