Non-Minnesota NHL News XIV - Seattle Expansion(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Well that's interesting. 5.5 is certainly not twice as much as 6.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I remember being told I was crazy for saying that NHL GM's would much rather have Dumba than have to deal with Trouba and his ego. Good times

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I remember being told I was crazy for saying that NHL GM's would much rather have Dumba than have to deal with Trouba and his ego. Good times
It's a one year arb deal. You can't compare it to Dumba's contract. That said, I'm not saying you're wrong on your point.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It's a one year arb deal. You can't compare it to Dumba's contract. That said, I'm not saying you're wrong on your point.
The AAV of his contract has nothing to do with my point. In fact, I think it's fairly high for 1 year of an RFA.

Trouba is clearly a giant pain in the ass when it comes to contract negotiations, and I'm glad the Wild aren't the team that has to deal with his bullshit.

Reactions: AKL

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
It is funny how Wilson was a playoff monster while the guy we just signed to more has never really showed up in the playoffs.

Don't take the statement the wrong way - it's just an interesting note.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
In april? or october?
Is one post season success when he was attached to the hip of the two players who ran away with the Conn Smythe worthiness really supposed to be an indicator of Wilson's expected value?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Is one post season success when he was attached to the hip of the two players who ran away with the Conn Smythe worthiness really supposed to be an indicator of Wilson's expected value?
Wasn't really a comment on how good I think Wilson is. Zucker has been worthless in the playoffs, and it needs to change.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Wasn't really a comment on how good I think Wilson is. Zucker has been worthless in the playoffs, and it needs to change.

To be fair the whole team has been worthless in the playoffs. What are the odds that every single player, except maybe two or three, can be bad in the playoffs despite being a certain level of good all season?

I don’t know what the reason is we suck every spring, and I don’t know how to fix it. I agree Zucker needs to be better in April, but so do many others. I don’t think it’s a Zucker problem. I think it’s deeper than that.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
It's not like WASH didn't have their own problems finding guys to contribute in the post season either. But it is funny to see Wilson get a Bickell type deal.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
They're obviously banking on last year being Wilson's "new normal" going forward, just as we are with Zucker. If he keeps playing with Ovi and Kuznetsov, I don't think it's too far-fetched.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
They're obviously banking on last year being Wilson's "new normal" going forward, just as we are with Zucker. If he keeps playing with Ovi and Kuznetsov, I don't think it's too far-fetched.
Wilson's "last year" isn't even worth $4M. Just a terrible contract anyway you slice it.

Reactions: AKL

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
35 points + physical presence + very good playoffs is worth at least $4M.
Not if you have to play him on the 1st line to get 35 points. Wilson isn't much better than Foligno and Foligno is grossly overpaid at just under $3M.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Not if you have to play him on the 1st line to get 35 points. Wilson isn't much better than Foligno and Foligno is grossly overpaid at just under $3M.

Foligno seems to be paid just about the right amount. Not that the Wilson contract isn't high, but people can't complain about guys who don't show up for the playoffs and also wonder why guys who do show up for the playoffs get paid. It's a tougher brand of hockey and guys who can excel at it are plainly valuable in this league. Let's try to remember: the point of the NHL is to win the Stanley Cup.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Foligno seems to be paid just about the right amount. Not that the Wilson contract isn't high, but people can't complain about guys who don't show up for the playoffs and also wonder why guys who do show up for the playoffs get paid. It's a tougher brand of hockey and guys who can excel at it are plainly valuable in this league. Let's try to remember: the point of the NHL is to win the Stanley Cup.
Foligno is a league minimum player.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Foligno is a league minimum player.

Not really. Maybe you prefer a guy like Miikka Salomaki? He got 8 points last season and has scored .15 ppg as a marginal NHLer who won't hurt you too bad when he's out there. Foligno has scored .33 ppg and been an NHL regular. He's the better player and has the more remunerative contract because of his performance. NHL players are just not a dime a dozen, no matter what you think of the "replacement level" idea. The Wild gave Foligno a pretty rich contract, partially motivated by the fact that the next best player at playing a physical role was Kurtis Gabriel - an AHL level player. Maybe JT Brown takes Foligno's job at a minimum type salary, maybe not. But Foligno should be judged on what he does well, not a contract that looks like an overpay.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Not really. Maybe you prefer a guy like Miikka Salomaki? He got 8 points last season and has scored .15 ppg as a marginal NHLer who won't hurt you too bad when he's out there. Foligno has scored .33 ppg and been an NHL regular. He's the better player and has the more remunerative contract because of his performance. NHL players are just not a dime a dozen, no matter what you think of the "replacement level" idea. The Wild gave Foligno a pretty rich contract, partially motivated by the fact that the next best player at playing a physical role was Kurtis Gabriel - an AHL level player. Maybe JT Brown takes Foligno's job at a minimum type salary, maybe not. But Foligno should be judged on what he does well, not a contract that looks like an overpay.
Not sure why you would bring up Salomaki? Both Stewart and Winnik were on the team last season and both were better than Foligno in every aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad