Prospect Info: Noah Juulsen Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Juulsen’s draft projection was a 2nd pairing Dman.

Strengths were good 200-foot game, strong vision of the ice and the players on both sides, hard & accurate shot, and being a very quick learner/adapting well to changing circumstances
Yeah and after watching him play pro it was clear he wasn’t a top 4 dman.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Lol so basically you just repeat your same , knowledge constrained, laughable post where for some weird reason, you somehow have foresight superpowers that somehow deduced that upon drafting him, he would NEVER become anything more than a 3rd pairing defenseman, why? Just because you said so? Who made you the authority? Nobody.

I hope he becomes an nhl regular now not because I wanted a good defenseman on the habs, now I just want him to prove you wrong , the genius from the future.
Feel free for holding onto false hope. That’s his game, 3rd pairing dman, if you saw more than that, I wouldn’t trust your evaluations. Your smug replies do not offend me.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Educate yourself before spewing bs.
Good one, please educate me. The dman with zero offence who was on his way to being a top 4 dman, the same dman who got walked routinely to the outside every game because of his poor gap control was on his way to being a top 4 dman, sure he was.

How were you planning on educating me, by reading his scouting report from 5 years ago again?

Last edited:

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Good one, please educate me. The dman with zero offence who was on his way to being a top 4 dman, the same dman who got walked routinely to the outside every game because of his poor gap control was on his way to being a top 4 dman, sure he was.

How were you planning on educating me, by reading his scouting report from 5 years ago again?
Pure arrogance. I'm amazed

Reactions: Kwikwi

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah and after watching him play pro it was clear he wasn’t a top 4 dman.

by pro are you talking about Laval or the NHL?

Because if you're talking about the NHL, don't you think it's a bit early to project a young player's development??

Is Josh Brook no longer a top 4 possibility just because of the early phase in his development?

Was Ron Hainsey never going to be top 4 because he couldn't crack the top 6 before he was waiver eligible? What about Streit who looked like s--t at 27 in his first year in the NHL? Gorges was a disaster his first year with us too. What about Francois Beauchemin? What about McDonagh after his poor world juniors?

Reactions: Kwikwi and le_sean

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
by pro are you talking about Laval or the NHL?

Because if you're talking about the NHL, don't you think it's a bit early to project a young player's development??

Is Josh Brook no longer a top 4 possibility just because of the early phase in his development?

Was Ron Hainsey never going to be top 4 because he couldn't crack the top 6 before he was waiver eligible? What about Streit who looked like s--t at 27 in his first year in the NHL? Gorges was a disaster his first year with us too. What about Francois Beauchemin? What about McDonagh after his poor world juniors?
What are you going on about talking about Workd Juniors, pro level is exactly that, pro-level. The world juniors are not apart of this discussion. Noah Juulsen was a fringe prospect at best before he got his injuries. His game lacked in many areas, most notably, he had zero offence. Seldom does this change in a players 20’s, this fact alone likely prevents him from being a serious candidate for top 4 duty.

His gap control, positioning and overall defensive game left a lot to to be desired too. He had a long, long way to go to be an nhl regular and then he lost prime developmental time. The deck is stacked against him. The same posters argued tooth and nail for Tinordi, McCarron too, long after it was evident they were not NHLers.

What’s your thoughts on him? It’s easy to criticize someone else for stating their projections, what are yours?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I don't know how far the NHL will get with this tournament but at least teams should be able to get some insight on their roster going forward. Pretty hard to gauge where Juulsen fits in until he plays some games. Would be one less hole to fill if he shows he can slot in somewhere in the top 7 d.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
I think that if for 20-21 that Juulsen starts on the third pairing with Romanov (assuming we get another top 4 LHD) this will be the ideal scenario for him to play more sheltered minutes and get his confidence back.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think Juulsen has a high end defensive game but in the NHL his lack of mobility has been an issue for him.

As for his offensive game, the problem there isn't so much his lack of offense as he does have a big shot and can move the puck, the problem is he hasn't progressed there since his draft season. In his draft year he put up 52 pts, if you look at the WHL's all time points for U-18 defensemen since say the past 15 years he would be tied for 12th OA.

Elite Prospects - WHL Stats All-time season

It's not to say he's got high offensive upside, just that he was trending in the right direction. In his draft year his team was one of the top teams in the dub and they were 9th OA in goals for as that's the year they had Scherbak leading the team in points by a wide margin. Juulsen led the team in points for blueliners and was 5th OA in points on the team.

The next year his production took a nose dive going from a hair under a .77 ppg to a hair under .45. But his team lost Scherbak and the offense dropped to the bottom of the league as only 1 team in the WHL scored less goals. That said you hate to see such a big drop in production. The next year the team was once again a top team but this time around it was due to the defense and goaltending as the offense was ranked 15th out of 22 teams. Juulsen did rebound a bit with a .69 ppg which if he had played the 68 games like he did in his draft year it would have been about 4 pts less. So not bad but for a 1st round pick in his D+2 year you expect better. (off the top of my head I believe he had some injuries that year)

Then there's his whole development at the pro level which you just know is going to be suspect. So at 20 he's in the AHL, plays less then half a season (31 games) as I seem to recall he was injured at camp as the thought was he would have made the team out of camp I believe. In Laval he played a great defensive game but was terrible offensively and if I recall correctly he had almost no offense but then in the final week or two he started putting up points and then of course he gets called up just as he seemed to be finding his way.

He played 23 games in the NHL at 20 that year, then the next year he has injury problems and plays only 3 games in the AHL and 21 in the NHL. So after 2 pro seasons he has played just 34 games in the AHL (just a few games shy of exactly half a season) and 44 in the NHL. Then misses almost an entire year of development this season with just 13 games at the AHL, so now he's up to 47 AHL and 44 NHL games under his belt after 3 pro seasons. That's brutal for a guy that needed that time in the AHL to work on his offensive game and improving his mobility.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What are you going on about talking about Workd Juniors, pro level is exactly that, pro-level. The world juniors are not apart of this discussion. Noah Juulsen was a fringe prospect at best before he got his injuries. His game lacked in many areas, most notably, he had zero offence. Seldom does this change in a players 20’s, this fact alone likely prevents him from being a serious candidate for top 4 duty.

His gap control, positioning and overall defensive game left a lot to to be desired too. He had a long, long way to go to be an nhl regular and then he lost prime developmental time. The deck is stacked against him. The same posters argued tooth and nail for Tinordi, McCarron too, long after it was evident they were not NHLers.

What’s your thoughts on him? It’s easy to criticize someone else for stating their projections, what are yours?

Projections are hard to make. That's my point.

I never yet had a projection for him. Even when Mcguire was saying he'll be a great #3, maybe a #2. But I haven't written him off yet - even when the headaches were persistent. Let's see more of him.

But Claude Julien did say recently that it's good we get to see him now because we're going to have to make a decision on him soon. He'll have to pass through waivers next year. I really hope he's ready for bottom pair duties because I don't want him claimed on waivers or sitting in the press box for long stretches.

We don't need him to be good offensively - just good defensively and to move the puck up ice quickly and accurately. And yes, he must solve his rookie NHL gap control issue. That's a must. Anyone know if it was an issue for him in the AHL?

Locks

May 28, 2005
To state that Juulsen will be no more than a third pairing D is just ignoring a simple fact that he was already playing top 4 last season before getting hurt. And that despite having played only a handful of NHL games in his rookie season. In fact, that pairing with Mike Rielly was the best pairing on the team that was doing quite well and then Juulsen got hurt and was not the same and Rielly faded into oblivion.

Yes, there is always a possibility that the injury and missing time will affect his game and limit his potential but that has little to do with the fact that the potential was there before the injury. But in only game he played before the pause with Laval, he looked pretty darn good for a guy who missed that much time so there is clearly hope that he will be back to something close to what he was before the injury.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
To state that Juulsen will be no more than a third pairing D is just ignoring a simple fact that he was already playing top 4 last season before getting hurt. And that despite having played only a handful of NHL games in his rookie season. In fact, that pairing with Mike Rielly was the best pairing on the team that was doing quite well and then Juulsen got hurt and was not the same and Rielly faded into oblivion.

Yes, there is always a possibility that the injury and missing time will affect his game and limit his potential but that has little to do with the fact that the potential was there before the injury. But in only game he played before the pause with Laval, he looked pretty darn good for a guy who missed that much time so there is clearly hope that he will be back to something close to what he was before the injury.

Juulsen was playing top-4 on a very weak D-corps.

In order to develop into a true top-4 he will need to show some offensive ability exceeding that of prime Josh Gorges.

Locks

May 28, 2005
Juulsen was playing top-4 on a very weak D-corps.

In order to develop into a true top-4 he will need to show some offensive ability exceeding that of prime Josh Gorges.

Yes, it was definitely not the greatest top four, particularly with Weber out, but it had no effect on the strength of the opposing forwards he faced and he looked pretty competent doing so. As for his offense, he does not need to be a significant producer to be a true top four. Guys like Vlasic and Slavin are top pairing Dmen with rather modest offensive output.

There has to be a right mix of dmen and Juulsen can make a great duo when paired with a guy like Norlinder or Strubel down the road, kind of like Carlo and Krug in Boston.

I think Gorges' offensive game should not be too hard to surpass for Juulsen.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
There has to be a right mix of dmen and Juulsen can make a great duo when paired with a guy like Norlinder or Strubel down the road, kind of like Carlo and Krug in Boston.

I think Gorges' offensive game should not be too hard to surpass for Juulsen.

that sounds about right as if my math is correct Gorges was a .18 ppg with us which over 82 is 15 pts. Juulsen if healthy could be in that range assuming he's on the 3rd pairing.

Romanov Juulsen or Mete Juulsen would be interesting to see.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
As long as one of Fleury/Juulsen pans out, we should be fine.

They are both candidates for 3rd pair RD spots going forward but not anything more than that.

Locks

May 28, 2005
that sounds about right as if my math is correct Gorges was a .18 ppg with us which over 82 is 15 pts. Juulsen if healthy could be in that range assuming he's on the 3rd pairing.

Romanov Juulsen or Mete Juulsen would be interesting to see.

That's right. I think the first option (Romanov Juulsen) is the most likely third paring next season, it could be a heck of a third pair once Romanov settles down and Juulsen shakes up his rust. And if all goes well for Juulsen in his development, I hope he can take that second pair spot after Petry leaves via UFA. I appreciate Petry's offensive contribution but I am sick and tired of his regular defensive lapses and being by far the worst minus on defense every year or so.

Reactions: montreal

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
Comparing Gorges and Juulsen:

Gorges would jam his man and the puck would be loose, keeping the play into our zone;

Juulsen would jam his man and get the puck back, getting it out of the zone. It was a real piece of art at the world junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad