Prospect Info: Noah Juulsen Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Serge Savard. Broke his leg in 5 places in March 1970, at age 24. Broke the same leg again in Feb 1971. Went on to a Hall of Fame career.
Remember the one where he slid into the goal post which had pegs imbedded in the ice in those days (i.e. no give). That was brutal. I believe as a result hockey came out with the 'Megg nets' which were magnets instead of posts.

Another player who had a serious injury early on was Marian Hossa. Tore up his knee and junior, now he's a hall of famer.

Reactions: Joe Malone

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Juulsen-PressConference(20/07/17)

“I played the last game in Laval before the pause and I've felt great since then. I've had no problems, no issues, no setbacks, nothing... I'm happy the way everything has gone and I hope it keeps going that way. There were ups and downs the whole time on my rehab process. There'd be a span of three weeks where I would be feeling great, and the next day, I'm back to where I was. So, I was battling through stuff like that. The guys and the coaches in Laval were great with me, they checked in with me basically daily to see how things were going. I can't thank them enough.

“I'm only 23, so I've a lot of years left. Personally, with all that went on the last couple of years here, I think it’s a great opportunity just to be here for me. So I just have to put the work in every day and hope for the best. Obviously, there might be spots available. So I think practicing and then just keep going how I’ve been going, I think I’ll be alright.”

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
if they smart they go with the higher potential players, it would be win win, if we move forward, they gain winning experience, and if we lose cause they were not ready, well 1 or 9 here we come

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
A three out of five series loss going with your best youngsters will be valuable experience for them going forward. If we win, it's a huge confidence boost and, if we lose, it,s not enough to shatter that confidence. You need to learn how you lose in order to understand how to win and, the youngsters, at least, would have a good understanding of what they need to improve going forward.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
What are you going on about talking about Workd Juniors, pro level is exactly that, pro-level. The world juniors are not apart of this discussion. Noah Juulsen was a fringe prospect at best before he got his injuries. His game lacked in many areas, most notably, he had zero offence. Seldom does this change in a players 20’s, this fact alone likely prevents him from being a serious candidate for top 4 duty.

His gap control, positioning and overall defensive game left a lot to to be desired too. He had a long, long way to go to be an nhl regular and then he lost prime developmental time. The deck is stacked against him. The same posters argued tooth and nail for Tinordi, McCarron too, long after it was evident they were not NHLers.

What’s your thoughts on him? It’s easy to criticize someone else for stating their projections, what are yours?

Juulsen was very good at the NHL level until he got injured and his play fall off.

Juulsen was always touted a potential second pairing #4 D-man. Chiarot is currently our #3 and I see a lot of similarities between Chiarot and Juulsen.

Who care about the lost year. What is important is how is his mental state right now? If he is still confident in his abilities I don’t see why he could not become a good d-man for us.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Juulsen was very good at the NHL level until he got injured and his play fall off.

Juulsen was always touted a potential second pairing #4 D-man. Chiarot is currently our #3 and I see a lot of similarities between Chiarot and Juulsen.

Who care about the lost year. What is important is how is his mental state right now? If he is still confident in his abilities I don’t see why he could not become a good d-man for us.
My position on Juulsen is clear and hasn’t changed. You have stated nothing that makes me want to reconsider. He was a pretty meh prospect before he got hurt.

Jul 6, 2016
Juulsen should be on the right side of the third pairing next season. Unless Habs add a top-four LHD, demote Kulak to the third pairing and try Romanov on the right side of that pairing where he he has played before in the KHL.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
well it's now or never as Kulak turns 27 in a little over 3 months. The good thing with the added depth, if they don't trade anyone, is that it buys them time with either Romanov or Juulsen if need be. If they feel Romanov needs to start out in Laval, now they have the depth to cover that as long as everyone is healthy by the time the season starts. If Juulsen needs to go down to Laval for 2 weeks that got that covered as well.

MB pointed out in recent interviews 2 things about Juulsen.

1. Because of his health, they can't count on him.

2. He needs to play.

It sounds like, unless he's really good at cam PK, they'll hope to squeeze him through waivers - if not right out of camp, at least a short period into the season. Two week stints and then back to the pressbox won't be enough.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
MB pointed out in recent interviews 2 things about Juulsen.

1. Because of his health, they can't count on him.

2. He needs to play.

It sounds like, unless he's really good at cam PK, they'll hope to squeeze him through waivers - if not right out of camp, at least a short period into the season. Two week stints and then back to the pressbox won't be enough.
I don't think we should take a chance trying to pass Noah through waivers. As a former first round pick, he likely won't go through.

Fleury and Romanov don't have a waiver issue. Neither should be a 7th or 8th D here. Mete and Juulsen should stay up even if they are not in the top 6.

It's unfortunate but I think we are between a rock and a hard place with Juulsen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think we should take a chance trying to pass Noah through waivers. As a former first round pick, he likely won't go through.

Fleury and Romanov don't have a waiver issue. Neither should be a 7th or 8th D here. Mete and Juulsen should stay up even if they are not in the top 6.

It's unfortunate but I think we are between a rock and a hard placed with Juulsen.

Yes I think they'll try to keep Juulsen up for the start of the season. But seeing him rot in the press box will make them make a move, as they did with DLR. Perhaps the sting of losing DLR for nothing will be enough to do things differently this time. Hudonncertainly spent a lot of time in the press box the year before last. But the fact that MB specifically said Juulsen needs to play makes me wonder.

And all signs point to Romanov being able to at least beat out Mete and Juulsen, if not Kulak as well. But we'll see when we get to camp.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

It's unfortunate but I think we are between a rock and a hard place with Juulsen.

Former first round picks go through waivers all the time.

Your best chance is to try to sneak him through at the end of training camp. Most teams have decided on their guys and are likely stashing their own 1st round picks through waivers, too.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Former first round picks go through waivers all the time.

Your best chance is to try to sneak him through at the end of training camp. Most teams have decided on their guys and are likely stashing their own 1st round picks through waivers, too.
Yes that is the best time, but among 30 other teams, there is a good chance someone bites at the chance to get a first rounder with a half season in the NHL where he played well, for minimum salary.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yes that is the best time, but among 30 other teams, there is a good chance someone bites at the chance to get a first rounder with a half season in the NHL where he played well, for minimum salary.

I would be surprised.. as I mentioned, he has to stay on their NHL roster for a defined period of time, otherwise we can claim him back.

So, is there a team out there that's gonna burn one of their roster spots, on a virtual unknown, outside of their organization? I doubt it, especially right after training camp when people are excited about who they have.

And if we're waiving Juulsen at that point, it would be because he proved in training camp that he isn't NHL ready.

Reactions: DAChampion

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think some team would claim Juulsen. Its a real shame what happend to him...he was showing so much promise.

He will go the way of Beauchemin and Hainsey.

Reactions: DAChampion

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I think some team would claim Juulsen. Its a real shame what happend to him...he was showing so much promise.

He will go the way of Beauchemin and Hainsey.
Bergevin will never put him on waivers. He will prefer to send romanov and fleury in Ahl instead. He will keep 7 dman. Chiarot/weber/edmundson/petry/kulak/mete/juulsen. The only reason could be if he is struggling as hell during camp

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
As long as Juulsen's game hasn't been impacted, he should be find as a 6th/7th/8th D. He does need to play but they can send him down, just he has to agree and you can't do it too much or the NHL could step in.

For the waivers they should handle injuries for prospects like the NCAA does and redshirt a prospect during his first or 2nd year of his ELC, if he say misses more then 50% of the games, that way you get an extra year of waivers but only because of time missed to injury.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
#Juulsen-PressConference(20/07/17)

“I played the last game in Laval before the pause and I've felt great since then. I've had no problems, no issues, no setbacks, nothing... I'm happy the way everything has gone and I hope it keeps going that way. There were ups and downs the whole time on my rehab process. There'd be a span of three weeks where I would be feeling great, and the next day, I'm back to where I was. So, I was battling through stuff like that. The guys and the coaches in Laval were great with me, they checked in with me basically daily to see how things were going. I can't thank them enough.

“I'm only 23, so I've a lot of years left. Personally, with all that went on the last couple of years here, I think it’s a great opportunity just to be here for me. So I just have to put the work in every day and hope for the best. Obviously, there might be spots available. So I think practicing and then just keep going how I’ve been going, I think I’ll be alright.”

This is what's intriguing to me...

If he has been healthy all summer, the frustration of the past few years might well translate into serious "desperation" in his training & prep... The kind of mental edge that can really drive an athlete to max out their potential.

If he isn't moved before camp, I'm very excited to see what the kid looks like. He had the tools to be a very good NHLer, and we have a big need for the puck & skating skills he brings.

Reactions: 1909 and DAChampion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad