Prospect Info: Noah Juulsen Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
As long as Juulsen's game hasn't been impacted, he should be find as a 6th/7th/8th D. He does need to play but they can send him down, just he has to agree and you can't do it too much or the NHL could step in.

For the waivers they should handle injuries for prospects like the NCAA does and redshirt a prospect during his first or 2nd year of his ELC, if he say misses more then 50% of the games, that way you get an extra year of waivers but only because of time missed to injury.

I really think the NHL needs a rule where if a young player has missed a certain amount of time due to injury, that player should not have to pass through waivers when sent down for development.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I'm trying to find a list (anyone have a good site for this) of young guys we've lost to waivers in recent years. I can think of Jacob De La Rose and Nick Sherbak. It also significantly impacted the development of guys like Tinordi and McCarron who needed more development time but we couldn't risk exposing. Tough call on what to do with Juulsen - Too bad we haven't explored lending him to a European club to give him more development time and better gauge where he's at.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm trying to find a list (anyone have a good site for this) of young guys we've lost to waivers in recent years. I can think of Jacob De La Rose and Nick Sherbak. It also significantly impacted the development of guys like Tinordi and McCarron who needed more development time but we couldn't risk exposing. Tough call on what to do with Juulsen - Too bad we haven't explored lending him to a European club to give him more development time and better gauge where he's at.

Yeah really, why the heck isn't Juulsen playing in Europe now???? Makes no sense.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He had the tools to be a very good NHLer, and we have a big need for the puck & skating skills he brings.

I am very interested to see how he looks as well as I think a Romanov/Juulsen pairing looks like a good fit on paper. I do have to point out that skating is the weakest part of his game as it is average at best as well as his average puck skills. Juulsen is a stout defender with a big shot, high compete level and above average hockey IQ.

Reactions: Calgary Blazer

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I am very interested to see how he looks as well as I think a Romanov/Juulsen pairing looks like a good fit on paper. I do have to point out that skating is the weakest part of his game as it is average at best as well as his average puck skills. Juulsen is a stout defender with a big shot, high compete level and above average hockey IQ.

Interesting assessment re his skill set... Can't say I share it.

At every level where he's played with confidence, skating mobility & puck movement have been strengths, including his glimpses of solid NHL play. Because he's not a pure physical skill guy, I think the hesitation & lack of confidence in his game held those areas back early on, expectedly so, and were compounded by the injury issues.

If he surpasses that & is to maximize his potential, it'll be as a mobile, confident puck mover who also can bring a physical component... Imo.

Reactions: Calgary Blazer

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
I really think the NHL needs a rule where if a young player has missed a certain amount of time due to injury, that player should not have to pass through waivers when sent down for development.

Maybe there is an unwritten rule in this case and GM will not claim him. The 2 weeks conditioning stint could also help. If he is very good, you call him up. If he is bad, he is going to clear waivers.

would be a shame if Juulsen pull an Hainsey/Beauchemin,

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe there is an unwritten rule in this case and GM will not claim him. The 2 weeks conditioning stint could also help. If he is very good, you call him up. If he is bad, he is going to clear waivers.

would be a shame if Juulsen pull an Hainsey/Beauchemin,

Unfortunately there is no unwritten rule. If a GM wants him, he'll claim him.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Interesting assessment re his skill set... Can't say I share it.

At every level where he's played with confidence, skating mobility & puck movement have been strengths, including his glimpses of solid NHL play. Because he's not a pure physical skill guy, I think the hesitation & lack of confidence in his game held those areas back early on, expectedly so, and were compounded by the injury issues.

If he surpasses that & is to maximize his potential, it'll be as a mobile, confident puck mover who also can bring a physical component... Imo.

Skating has been the one consistent criticism of Juulsen. It isn't bad but it isn't good either, his gap control has to be on point or he can be beat on the outside. He is a smart kid though and should be fine providing his health holds up.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
With Juulsen being an RFA they could let him sign in Europe. No loan necessary just like Puljujarvi did out of Edmonton. Of course, convincing Juulsen that this is what's best for him and his development might not be that easy.

Reactions: DAChampion

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Unfortunately there is no unwritten rule. If a GM wants him, he'll claim him.
And juulsen is a kind of risk, low risk, high reward. In the sense. He his a small salary. Every GM know his past, .So. A team like Tampa wont claim, but a bottom feeder team will certainly grab him

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
That is such a ridiculous comment.

Julien has started the season with Mete, Juulsen and Fleury in previous years over veteran depth dmen. If you don't like Julien that is fine but no need to egregiously make stuff up.

Meanwhile he went with the veteran Ouellet over Fleury and Juulsen, so who is right and who is making things up? I was talking about playoffs not measly regular season games at the start of the year. Same Clode that preferred the veteran Weise, which was only corrected by Captain Kirk.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Meanwhile he went with the veteran Ouellet over Fleury and Juulsen, so who is right and who is making things up? I was talking about playoffs not measly regular season games at the start of the year. Same Clode that preferred the veteran Weise, which was only corrected by Captain Kirk.

If this was about age then Alzner would still be with the team.

You are angry at Julien for playing Ouellet over Juulsen who has missed most of the last two seasons and is trying to work his way back and Fleury who finished the season playing poorly in both Montreal and Laval.

Spots are earned and Ouellet not only earned the opportunity but also played suprisingly well. Julien made the correct decision, it is unfortunate that you can't see that.

The Julien, MB , Timmins hate on this board is embarrassing.

mynamejeff420

Apr 14, 2020

Playing Weise was obviously a bad move, because he sucks, but I fail to see the problem with playing Ouellet over Fleury and Juulsen. Juulsen hadn't played in like 2 years and Fleury was bad in the NHL this season. Ouellet wasn't. This wasn't a case of "playing a shitty veteran over good rookies", it was "playing the better player over 2 worse ones".

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Ouellet seemed adequate on the third pair. He's not why the Habs lost to the Flyers.

They lost because of bad puck luck, a lack of depth scoring, and the flyers being a better diving team.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
With Juulsen being an RFA they could let him sign in Europe. No loan necessary just like Puljujarvi did out of Edmonton. Of course, convincing Juulsen that this is what's best for him and his development might not be that easy.

Have to also convince the European team. He hasn't played in a long time, so I can't see Euro teams being too interested in him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
KHL and SHL teams might not bite but I'm sure there'd be interest in him in some lower level leagues.

It really pisses me off that he's not playing in Europe right now. Hopefully he at least has found a local beer league that has started back up.

Wtf guy needs to play. I'd like to see him put his best foot forward at camp. Otherwise we'll lose him for nothing on waivers. The 3rd RD spot is there for the taking.

Reactions: angusyoung

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Juulsen may not get through waivers...

MB has definitely refused to pick a direction. But he clearly prioritizes the long term, and will use Weber, Price and other vets for their mentoring abilities to our young guys as opposed to flipping them for young assets. It is what it is.
Pretty sure Juulsen will be signed 2 ways. He has no leverage about that.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Yeah, but he still has to pass through waivers if sent to Laval. Any team in the league can claim him for free.
Meh we cant do much about it. Probably sure he would not be claimed. That injury was a huge ouch for him. He should be playing an entire season in the ahl to get his form back and if his injury is really fixed which i hope because that sucks for a young man like him

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Meh we cant do much about it. Probably sure he would not be claimed. That injury was a huge ouch for him. He should be playing an entire season in the ahl to get his form back and if his injury is really fixed which i hope because that sucks for a young man like him

For sure he should be playing in the AHL if he's not ready.

But you'd risk losing him for nothing?

My bigger question is: why the hell isn't he playing in Europe now??? Would be great for him getting his timing back - and for the organization to gather information about where he's at on the depth chart. It's the question I was hoping someone would ask at the presser.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017

My bigger question is: why the hell isn't he playing in Europe now??? Would be great for him getting his timing back - and for the organization to gather information about where he's at on the depth chart. It's the question I was hoping someone would ask at the presser.
I mean for nothing , his value is probably lower than Jordan Weal. I dont know why hes not playing in europe , i dont really know how contract works about that but. We have Brook , Fleury and Romanov can play RD. Petry and Weber are still there. Losing Juulsen would be sad but his injury destroyed him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

perhaps because he doesn't have a contract and doesn't want to risk getting hurt but that's just a guess.

I mean for nothing , his value is probably lower than Jordan Weal. I dont know why hes not playing in europe , i dont really know how contract works about that but. We have Brook , Fleury and Romanov can play RD. Petry and Weber are still there. Losing Juulsen would be sad but his injury destroyed him.

We don't know if it destroyed him or not, since he's only played 1 AHL game and while he played well you can't put anything into that. We just need to see how he looks at camp and go from there. They can carry 8D, they can send him down for 2 weeks on a conditioning stint. So there are ways around it, we gave away a cheap depth 4th liner in DLR when all they had to do was waive Pleks a few days sooner. While I know most don't want DLR around, he would have be much cheaper then Weal, or better then Chaput, Froese, etc..

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
perhaps because he doesn't have a contract and doesn't want to risk getting hurt but that's just a guess.

We don't know if it destroyed him or not, since he's only played 1 AHL game and while he played well you can't put anything into that. We just need to see how he looks at camp and go from there. They can carry 8D, they can send him down for 2 weeks on a conditioning stint. So there are ways around it, we gave away a cheap depth 4th liner in DLR when all they had to do was waive Pleks a few days sooner. While I know most don't want DLR around, he would have be much cheaper then Weal, or better then Chaput, Froese, etc..

Habs should just sign him if that's the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad