Rumor: Noah Hanifin

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
One of these things you have control over. Even if you convince everywhere here on the internet Edvinsson should be getting those minutes...

Sometimes you act like you're petitioning the front office. We're all just goobers like you. We can't do shit about it, so just enjoy the ride.
This is one of those moments when I can't help but smile. Because I literally cannot see the nonsense that you're valiantly attempting to maintain a rational dialogue with through gritted teeth. I do not envy moderators - I wish you luck.

But for those without the burden of policing this one horse town, I cannot recommend the ignore button enough. It's like listening to the ocean surf, hugging a weighted blanket, and sipping tea all rolled into one. Serenity...

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
if this is the case, then we are making another move to trade at minimum ghost and maximum ghost and maatta

walman - seider
hanifin - petry
maatta - ghost
chiarot
Why would we trade either?

Ghost would not be resigned in the summer. We will not be bringing up SE this season whatsoever to play anything but a token game or two.

2024/25
Walman-Seider
Hanifin-Petry
SE-Chariot
Maata

is the concern AJo? If it is, he replaces SE in the lineup, SE is again in GR until we waive or trade someone else

Reactions: dj4aces

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Why would we trade either?

Ghost would not be resigned in the summer. We will not be bringing up SE this season whatsoever to play anything but a token game or two.

2024/25
Walman-Seider
Hanifin-Petry
SE-Chariot
Maata

is the concern AJo? If it is, he replaces SE in the lineup, SE is again in GR until we waive or trade someone else
edvinsson and aljo make maatta and ghost expendable. We should 100% trade ghost this trade deadline. I am pretty confident that maatta would go in the trade with hanifin.

I also don't see yzerman caring that this would be edvinssons first mainstay season for the rest of the year. Yzerman is not trying to win the cup this year, he wants us in the playoffs (given his moves he made in the offseason and how the team is playing). Bringing up edvinsson, trading maatta/ghost and getting hanifin would not hinder our playoff chances in the slightest. if anything it cements our chances of getting in.

Ed is every bit as good as maatta. hanifin is better than maatta/holl/ghost combined. (not to mention, hanifin plays the powerplay and does it pretty well as the qb too). You can also search and replace all edvinsson talk with aljo and the statements would be the same.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
edvinsson and aljo make maatta and ghost expendable. We should 100% trade ghost this trade deadline. I am pretty confident that maatta would go in the trade with hanifin.

I also don't see yzerman caring that this would be edvinssons first mainstay season for the rest of the year. Yzerman is not trying to win the cup this year, he wants us in the playoffs (given his moves he made in the offseason and how the team is playing). Bringing up edvinsson, trading maatta/ghost and getting hanifin would not hinder our playoff chances in the slightest. if anything it cements our chances of getting in.

Ed is every bit as good as maatta. hanifin is better than maatta/holl/ghost combined. (not to mention, hanifin plays the powerplay and does it pretty well as the qb too). You can also search and replace all edvinsson talk with aljo and the statements would be the same.
if that happens why not just keep ghost. Great PP guy, and a UFA at end of year. Is it really worth moving him to get a late 2nd at best or more likely a late 3rd

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
if that happens why not just keep ghost. Great PP guy, and a UFA at end of year. Is it really worth moving him to get a late 2nd at best or more likely a late 3rd
because when he is out there not on the pp he is a massive liability. There are other teams in the playoffs/race that need powerplay help and we can get something for nothing with him.

Even on the powerplay he, lately, has been terrible with his passing. I mean, his passing has been bad all season, but why not get rid of ghost the bad passer who is a defensive liability and substitute him with hanifin...also another powerplay guy that is great at defense?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Hanifin is a 27 yr old UFA. I'm guessing he's gonna want a long term deal to sign somewhere.

I can't see Yzerman handing out that kind of deal to a Dman that age.

Unless he's a wizard and can convince Calgary to take Holl and essentially swap him for Hanifin, am I missing something here?

Reactions: RRhoads

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hanifin is a 27 yr old UFA. I'm guessing he's gonna want a long term deal to sign somewhere.

Unless he's a wizard and can convince Calgary to take Holl and essentially swap him for Hanifin, am I missing something here?

27 is basically the prime age for a defender. Locking up Hanifin would help stabilize the blue line for half a decade.

The best Yzerman team building comparable would be when he brought in McDonagh to Tampa.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

He signed McDonagh to a 7x6.75 deal that started in his age 30 season.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
We are making a big assumption here that he even wants to sign with us. Hanafin is a Boston kid, BOS has a significant need for a player like him. This might be a Debrincat situation

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
We are making a big assumption here that he even wants to sign with us. Hanafin is a Boston kid, BOS has a significant need for a player like him. This might be a Debrincat situation
Do they have cap space for him? Detroit could surely offer better assets in a trade. I guess it depends on where Hanifin wants to go.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Do they have cap space for him? Detroit could surely offer better assets in a trade. I guess it depends on where Hanifin wants to go.

Debrusk (4M), Grzelcyk(3.6M), Fobort (3M), Shattenkirk (1M), Swayman (3.4M), Wotherspoon (775K)

All regulars who come off the books next year (excluding Wotherspoon, whose a plug) - three of which are LHD.

You have McAvoy (RHD) + Carlo (RHD) + Lindholm (LHD)... Hanafin rounds out a pretty nasty Top 4.

Boston boy comes home, takes a little hometown discount... say...5 for 7.5M?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Debrusk (4M), Grzelcyk(3.6M), Fobort (3M), Shattenkirk (1M), Swayman (3.4M), Wotherspoon (775K)

All regulars who come off the books next year (excluding Wotherspoon, whose a plug) - three of which are LHD.

You have McAvoy (RHD) + Carlo (RHD) + Lindholm (LHD)... Hanafin rounds out a pretty nasty Top 4.

Boston boy comes home, takes a little hometown discount... say...5 for 7.5M?
Those specific players with those specific contracts may be coming off the books, but they also need to be replaced.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I think the idea that players want to go "home" or only have 1 team they want to sign with is way overblown. Sure it happens, but its much more rare than it is brought up.

As long as you're organization is not actively on fire and you have the cap space for a fair offer, I think you'll be able to work something out when given 6 months of exclusive negotiating time

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I think the idea that players want to go "home" or only have 1 team they want to sign with is way overblown. Sure it happens, but its much more rare than it is brought up.

As long as you're organization is not actively on fire and you have the cap space for a fair offer, I think you'll be able to work something out when given 6 months of exclusive negotiating time
case and point: kane

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Look! I'm no Hanafin's agent here. I'm just saying that he is dissatisfied being in CGY and the rumor is he wants to play back in the states: whether that's closer to home or for tax reasons, or just because he hates Calgary, dunno!

Last year of his deal, he basically holds the cards because no one is going to offer a big trade package for him without the reassurance that he will sign with them long term, and he won't give that reassurance unless he absolutely gets the extension he wants from a place he'd be willing to accept, otherwise just sign his on deal two months later as a UFA.

Near identical situation to Cat who after the fact, basically hamstrung OTT to get back to DET. Could it be a Cat situation Or is it Zach Werenski? Or Zach Parise? Or Mike Modano? Or Tkachuk? Who could possibly say... Just not slamming the door on the fact that a) Hanifin has a lot of leverage and b) Stevie might not want to roll the dice on a guy who may not want to sign longterm

Reactions: Detroit Knights

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Look! I'm no Hanafin's agent here. I'm just saying that he is dissatisfied being in CGY and the rumor is he wants to play back in the states: whether that's closer to home or for tax reasons, or just because he hates Calgary, dunno!

Last year of his deal, he basically holds the cards because no one is going to offer a big trade package for him without the reassurance that he will sign with them long term, and he won't give that reassurance unless he absolutely gets the extension he wants from a place he'd be willing to accept, otherwise just sign his on deal two months later as a UFA.

Near identical situation to Cat who after the fact, basically hamstrung OTT to get back to DET. Could it be a Cat situation Or is it Zach Werenski? Or Zach Parise? Or Mike Modano? Or Tkachuk? Who could possibly say... Just not slamming the door on the fact that a) Hanifin has a lot of leverage and b) Stevie might not want to roll the dice on a guy who may not want to sign longterm
If Conroy doesn't let any GM talk to Hanifin/his agent, he's only tanking the trade return.

Reactions: Detroit Knights
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad